Has anyone made the Sword of Truth??

For all of the Talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Willrett
Thangailhir

Re: Has anyone made the Sword of Truth??

Post by Willrett »

I did find that one and it's a great looking sword but I think it is more show based then book based like was said.
"Knowledge is a weapon. I intend to be formidably armed." Richard, the Seeker (Sword of Truth)"
robinhoodsghost
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by robinhoodsghost »

I read the first of those books, my wife was a fan of the TV show.
You should make your own version ot the sword of truth. We would all love to see it.
In the darkest part of Sherwoods glade, in the thickest part of the wood, there are those who say, can still be seen, the ghost of Robin Hood.
Rifter
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Rifter »

wasn't that the one Sam Rami and Robert Tapert did?...I had heard a lot of people hated it
'Just because I don't like to fight...doesn't mean I can't'
Daerir
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Daerir »

Rifter wrote:wasn't that the one Sam Rami and Robert Tapert did?...I had heard a lot of people hated it
It is the very same, but I assure you that is a very good show. It doesnt compare to Game of Thrones of course but then again, what can lol. Anyway, for a medieval fantasy series, it wasnt all that cheesy or corny, it was pretty good. It did have its moments where it could get a little "overreacting" on some things (please excuse poor grammar, cant think of word) I would most definitely recommend this to someone.

***For those of you who wish to watch it, HERE IS THE LINK***
http://www.tvids.me/watch209/Legend-of-the-Seeker/

Sadly there are only two seasons, the first two books, but it still has a very good ending.
An archer practices until he gets it right. A ranger practices until he never gets it wrong
~Halt, Ranger's Apprentice
Tomcat1066
Wayfarer

Post by Tomcat1066 »

Some have told me their issues with the series is that it leaves out the philosophical themes Terry Goodkind uses in the books, most likely in an effort to reach a broader audience.

No clue how much of that is accurate. I know what I watched of the show was enjoyable, but Goodkind's Objectivism wasn't apparent, but the first book didn't seem to have all that much of it either so who knows.
Willrett
Thangailhir

Post by Willrett »

I loved the show for the show that it was but I hated it based on the books. As a fan of of the books I thought the tv show butchered the books. I was able to enjoy the show once I separated it from the books.
"Knowledge is a weapon. I intend to be formidably armed." Richard, the Seeker (Sword of Truth)"
Tomcat1066
Wayfarer

Post by Tomcat1066 »

Willrett wrote: As a fan of of the books I thought the tv show butchered the books. I was able to enjoy the show once I separated it from the books.
That's pretty much true for anything that transitions from print to screen. Once the author signs the deal, they lose control of it. Yes, it happens even in cases where the contract stipulates author involvement. Look up Clive Cussler and the Sahara movie.

The best thing to do is what you did. Just separate the two from the start and accept that it's just how the two businesses work. From what I've heard from a lot of authors, that's something they're not thrilled about either.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

The show was very typical of Raimi, but it was nothing like the books. If you like Xena and Hercules, then you would like this show. If you are expecting to see the books (or even a semblance of the books) on screen, well you'd better prepare for disappointment.

I did like the actor who played Zedd, though. I thought he did a great job.
ineffableone

Post by ineffableone »

Willrett wrote:I loved the show for the show that it was but I hated it based on the books. As a fan of of the books I thought the tv show butchered the books. I was able to enjoy the show once I separated it from the books.
At first I was a bit miffed at the departure from the books, but I ended up liking the show for what it was. I light fantasy story on TV. I little better done than Xena and Hercules but yes similar vein just a little less campy than those two. Which is why I think I liked it. Xena and Hercules were just a little too campy for me to really get into. Legend of the Seeker I think actually paved the way for more serious fantasy on TV. While the show didn't last, I think it made a decent impression on the industry that you can do it and be serious and have it work.

Now if they could just reboot it with a GOT sized budget and the freedom of HBO or Showtime, then we might get a real Sword of truth series.
Rifter
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Rifter »

Yes I've heard fans of the books really don't like it but if you just have a general knowledge I'm told you won't mind it. It looked ok to me. But too much Hercules and Xena redo's on angles and shots. The Wizard was in Mad Max and also SW EP3. It seems the boots for the hero were made by native earth soles. Nice to see a genuine vendor get used rather the production made items all the time
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Yeah, I recognized the boots too. They actually used a surprising number of "off the shelf" items for the show. For instance, the buckles and fittings on all the Mord-Sith outfits are all easily found at Tandy Leather Factory.
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Rifter
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Rifter »

yes I thought they looked framilar