Has anyone made the Sword of Truth??

For all of the Talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Willrett
Thangailhir

Has anyone made the Sword of Truth??

Post by Willrett »

I know the tv show was a bomb (still watched it) but I was wondering if anyone has ever made the sword of truth for sale. I think it looks like a pretty cool sword and I would love to have one especially if its made as a real sword and not just a wall hanger

http://www.google.com/imgres?hl=en&safe ... =183&ty=35
"Knowledge is a weapon. I intend to be formidably armed." Richard, the Seeker (Sword of Truth)"
Avery P.
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Re: Has anyone made the Sword of Truth??

Post by Avery P. »

I don't know if anyone has made it, but it looks like something Brenno from Fableblades would knock out of the park.
If it be a sin to covet honor,I am the most offending soul alive.
- W. Shakespeare
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Yeah, I recently got the chance to handle his version of Longclaw (holy crap) and I'd be willing to bet he'd be able to make a smashing rendition of this.
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Yavion

Post by Yavion »

There was a gent on SFI a while back that made the Sword of Truth based on the little sketch that appears in the book series. He was asked to cease and desist, despite the fact that there are unlicensed replicas of everything out there.
Goodkind is a bit of a nutter so I don't see it happening any time soon.
You'd likely need to go custom, like Olszowy.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Yavion wrote:There was a gent on SFI a while back that made the Sword of Truth based on the little sketch that appears in the book series. He was asked to cease and desist, despite the fact that there are unlicensed replicas of everything out there.
Goodkind is a bit of a nutter so I don't see it happening any time soon.
You'd likely need to go custom, like Olszowy.
It's not really fair to call him a nutter for protecting his property. He has no problem with people making replicas (in fact he paid that gentleman to produce two copies of the sword for his personal collection after seeing how accurate they were), his issue is with people profiting off of his work.

If you wanted to legally bypass this, you would have to commission different parts from different makers. The guard and pommel from one maker (Ernie at Yeshua Swords would be my suggestion), the grip from another, and the blade from yet another maker. Terry's copyright covers the sword's image as a whole, not individual parts. You would then have to assemble the sword yourself and it could never be legally sold.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

That's a really good point. I may someday have to do the same with Strider's sword from the Lord of the Rings films. His is one of my all-time favorite sword designs (even if it is a tad large for my personal taste), but nobody out there makes a functional version. The closest at the moment seem to be Christian Fletcher's "Borderwatch" and that one from Darksword Armory, but neither are quite exact - probably for those precise reasons.
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

I have not been able to verify this so you will want to do your own independent research, but, supposedly, the copyright for the Strider's Sword is no longer active. So its design would fall under fair use and you could have a screen-accurate replica built for you and not worry about any lawsuit.

Again, you will want to verify this on your own, but it could be a boon to people who are (like me) not satisfied with the level of accuracy on currently available replicas.
Straelbora
Haeropada

Post by Straelbora »

Aaron wrote:I have not been able to verify this so you will want to do your own independent research, but, supposedly, the copyright for the Strider's Sword is no longer active. So its design would fall under fair use and you could have a screen-accurate replica built for you and not worry about any lawsuit.

Again, you will want to verify this on your own, but it could be a boon to people who are (like me) not satisfied with the level of accuracy on currently available replicas.
Given that Saul Zaentz (Tolkien Enterprises) is notorious for being an aggressive, dirt-bag copy right and trade mark owner, I find it hard to believe that the film version design of the Strider Ranger sword has been allowed to go public. Plus, it's not my area of expertise in the law, but that seems like an awful short time.
Vápnum sínum skala maðr velli á
feti ganga framar því at óvist er at vita
nær verðr á vegum úti geirs um þörf guma
Hávamál
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

If so, that's bloody fantastic! If not, there's always the method you mentioned.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Straelbora wrote:
Aaron wrote:I have not been able to verify this so you will want to do your own independent research, but, supposedly, the copyright for the Strider's Sword is no longer active. So its design would fall under fair use and you could have a screen-accurate replica built for you and not worry about any lawsuit.

Given that Saul Zaentz (Tolkien Enterprises) is notorious for being an aggressive, dirt-bag copy right and trade mark owner, I find it hard to believe that the film version design of the Strider Ranger sword has been allowed to go public. Plus, it's not my area of expertise in the law, but that seems like an awful short time.
Well, the copyright didn't belong to the Tolkien estate, as it was a design created by WETA, not Tolkien, and the sword itself was never present in Tolkien's works (as Aragorn only used the broken hilt of Narsil prior to its reforging as Anduril). So the sword in the film is a purely unique creation.
Straelbora
Haeropada

Post by Straelbora »

Aaron wrote:
Straelbora wrote:

Well, the copyright didn't belong to the Tolkien estate, as it was a design created by WETA, not Tolkien, and the sword itself was never present in Tolkien's works (as Aragorn only used the broken hilt of Narsil prior to its reforging as Anduril). So the sword in the film is a purely unique creation.
I guess that's what I was getting at- Saul Zaentz would have a direct, specific interest in any copy right or trade mark arising out of films made under his license. And he's notoriously aggressive and sleazy- I just can't imagine him letting any legal protection to further profits lapse.
Vápnum sínum skala maðr velli á
feti ganga framar því at óvist er at vita
nær verðr á vegum úti geirs um þörf guma
Hávamál
Daerir
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Daerir »

An archer practices until he gets it right. A ranger practices until he never gets it wrong
~Halt, Ranger's Apprentice
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

It's based on the sword form the show, not the books. Although if that's what Willrett was looking for, then kudos.
Laothain

Post by Laothain »

Wow those are amazing the Lord of the Rings swords that he has posted look like what I envision them to be as I read.
Rifter
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Rifter »

Fable blades has a nice Strider inspired blade too. I'm thinking of having a similar one commissioned.
'Just because I don't like to fight...doesn't mean I can't'