ranger horses

For all of the Talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Arathen123
Wayfarer

ranger horses

Post by Arathen123 »

hello to all the rangers out there. i was wondering is any of you own or use a horse as part of you costume?
I made a promise, Mr Frodo. A promise. "Don't you leave him Samwise Gamgee." And I don't mean to. I don't mean to.
Straelbora
Haeropada

Re: ranger horses

Post by Straelbora »

Sure would be nice.

Sort of off topic, but I recently read an article about folks who had been reading "A Game of Thrones" and the rest of the Martin series and commented about people riding garrons. It turns out that in the Middle Ages and on at least through Chaucer's time, long-distance travel was done mostly on these short horses. Battle horses and even the types of horses that we see in the "Lord of the Rings" films like Brego and Shadowfax were not 'travel' horses. An analogy someone made was that you wouldn't drive a Corvette or Porsche to do a cross-country off road rally.
Vápnum sínum skala maðr velli á
feti ganga framar því at óvist er at vita
nær verðr á vegum úti geirs um þörf guma
Hávamál
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Mike Lodes spends about five minutes on the medieval traveling horse in his show "Going Medieval". The horses have a special gait the "amble", a very quick pace with little of the bouncing you'd get from a normal gaited horse.

If you get a chance to see this show do so, well worth the time. So far I've only been able to find clips on Youtube. The whole show was recently on History Channel so I have it on my dvr for the time being.

As far as the original topic goes, yes there are several people here who have horses: Arik Estus and RD Metcalf both have horses and several others are horse archers so presumably they'd be using their own horses. Most of the forumites that have horses or access to them, visit the forum infrequently, so you will get responces but it make take some time.
caedmon
Balku'npâ

Post by caedmon »

I shy away from wearing a horse on my costume. They are, as a rule, very heavy. :shock:
-Jack Horner

----------------------------
Impression: Cædmon Reedmace | bronze founder living in Archet, Breeland. c. 3017
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Arathen123 wrote:r use a horse as part of you costume?
Just that time I dressed up as a Corleone.
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

I just hate when I have to play the back end, but Brandwyn says it's type casting! I told her that constitutes gender profiling! :wink:
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

This should give some a better idea of ambling:

First Wikipedia- Palfrey
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palfrey

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Icelandic_horse

http://amyraby.wordpress.com/2012/09/26 ... e-palfrey/

The third one also contains a video of how an amble looks
Taurinor
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Taurinor »

Peter Remling wrote:Mike Lodes spends about five minutes on the medieval traveling horse in his show "Going Medieval". The horses have a special gait the "amble", a very quick pace with little of the bouncing you'd get from a normal gaited horse.

If you get a chance to see this show do so, well worth the time. So far I've only been able to find clips on Youtube. The whole show was recently on History Channel so I have it on my dvr for the time being.

As far as the original topic goes, yes there are several people here who have horses: Arik Estus and RD Metcalf both have horses and several others are horse archers so presumably they'd be using their own horses. Most of the forumites that have horses or access to them, visit the forum infrequently, so you will get responces but it make take some time.

Here is a section from "The Real Robin Hood" from the History Channel where the difference between medieval war horses and travelling horses is discussed. It starts at 6:15.

- Ned Houndswood, Breelander
Richmond Fantasy-Inspired Hiking and Camping (on WordPress and Facebook)