Pictures of my full outfit.

For all of the Talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Ursus
Amrod Rhandir

Pictures of my full outfit.

Post by Ursus »

2nd layer is my leather jerkin with my sword belt in place. The jerkin started out a lighter brown but sweat and wear have darkened it considerably, keeps the brambles and thorns off nicely. Forgot to add that the jerkin has been waterproofed and also doubles as an extra bit of ground cloth or shelter material when needed.
P1010549 (525x700)2ndlayer.jpg
P1010549 (525x700)2ndlayer.jpg (196.09 KiB) Viewed 15612 times
My 1st layer of clothing. Boots are so old Ive forgotten where they came from, House of Ander I think. My pants are military field pants that I first cut all the pocket linings out of then stitched all the pocket openings closed and boiled them in a vat of homemade walnut dye. The tunic is wool and I bought it off Etsy, was a light brown but I dyed it in the walnut dye as well with some green Rit dye mixed in. Hard to see in the picture but its a nice light brown green color. All topped off by my bronze bear headed torc.
1st layer.jpg
1st layer.jpg (189.48 KiB) Viewed 15612 times
What ranger would be complete without his pipe? This pipe is one solid piece that I hand carved from a 10 inch long block of cherry.
pipe (700x525).jpg
pipe (700x525).jpg (247.88 KiB) Viewed 15612 times
Last edited by Ursus on Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Lonely men are we, Rangers of the wild, hunters – but hunters ever of the servants of the Enemy."

“My cuts, short or long, don’t go wrong.”
Ursus
Amrod Rhandir

Re: Pictures of my full outfit.

Post by Ursus »

Blanket roll, quiver, and pack bow in place.
P1010561 (540x720) (525x700).jpg
P1010561 (540x720) (525x700).jpg (186.29 KiB) Viewed 15609 times
My cloak is made from wool survival blankets I bought off ebay. It was a grey green when I bought it but I boiled it in homemade walnut dye until it was a rusty green.
P1010558 (525x700)cloak.jpg
P1010558 (525x700)cloak.jpg (182.8 KiB) Viewed 15609 times
Here I am with sword in hand. I named her Cadeyrn. Im of Welsh decent so all my weapons carry Welsh names. Cadeyrn means Battle King.
P1010552 (525x700)withsword.jpg
P1010552 (525x700)withsword.jpg (184.67 KiB) Viewed 15609 times
"Lonely men are we, Rangers of the wild, hunters – but hunters ever of the servants of the Enemy."

Ursus
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Ursus »

And last but not least, the classic ranger pic.
P1010566 (525x700)hooded.jpg
P1010566 (525x700)hooded.jpg (177.1 KiB) Viewed 15604 times

Udwin
Vendor

Post by Udwin »

Looking good, Brett! Your style of simple and unadorned--but still sturdy and functional--gear is very much in keeping with Tolkien's Rangers. Carved pipe is very nice, thumbs-up for carving it yourself! What kind of leather is your jerkin? Thumbs-up on the walnut dyeing, too!
Personae: Aistan son of Ansteig, common Beorning of Wilderland; Tungo Brandybuck, Eastfarthing Bounder, 3018 TA; a native Man of the Greyflood, c.850 SA
Ursus
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Ursus »

Udwin wrote:Looking good, Brett! Your style of simple and unadorned--but still sturdy and functional--gear is very much in keeping with Tolkien's Rangers. Carved pipe is very nice, thumbs-up for carving it yourself! What kind of leather is your jerkin? Thumbs-up on the walnut dyeing, too!
The jerkin is moose hide.
Last edited by Ursus on Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

You remind me of the guy on Grimm :) but you look great, truly one of the Dunedain!

Ken
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

VERY nicely done! You look great, and your kit is beautifully authentic! I'm especially impressed by the moose-hide jerkin and the hand-carved pipe.

Out of curiosity, you wouldn't ever be inclined to do a pipe similar to that on commission, would you?
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

I like what you've done on all counts. One question, you appear to be right handed by belting your sword on the left hip, however your arrows are over your left shoulder indicating a left hand draw or is this just for the picture ?

Once again I'm very impressed with all you've done.
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Great looking stuff. Lots of detail evident here, and I like that it was still kept simple and functional. Bravo.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
mcapanelli
Haeropada

Post by mcapanelli »

Peter Remling wrote:I like what you've done on all counts. One question, you appear to be right handed by belting your sword on the left hip, however your arrows are over your left shoulder indicating a left hand draw or is this just for the picture ?

You caught that too. That might be a HEMA'ism. The masters didn't seem to like left handed people, at least most of them didn't. We have a guy in our group that trains right handed as its just simpler for him to work with the rest of the group. I should probably let Brett answer though :P

By the way, you kit looks AWESOME! Those pictures (and Manveruon's) really lit a fire under my arse to get my new kit in order.
Winter is coming
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

nice! all that hand carving and hand dying is fantastic!
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Ursus
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Ursus »

Peter Remling wrote:I like what you've done on all counts. One question, you appear to be right handed by belting your sword on the left hip, however your arrows are over your left shoulder indicating a left hand draw or is this just for the picture ?

No I wear it that way intentionally for several reasons. The first and biggest reason is that, while I was raised on traditional archery, I'm a swordsman first. Many longsword guards and movements would be hindered by it being over my right shoulder. Also your shoulders are points of gravity, having the weight of my quiver and bedroll on that side in addition to my sword when in use could throw my speed and accuracy off greatly. I've tried wearing my quiver and bedroll backpack style, but then it left me no free hanging cloak to wrap around me and hindered both shoulders. Wearing it to the left is the lesser evil. I always have several arrows in my bow hand when I shoot anyway which lessens my need to reach back for more ammo and allows me to speed shoot. Really carrying any rig when paired with a sword is going to hamper you in some way or another. The only thing you can do is to find a happy medium that works. On a side note I do shoot with either hand but do my best work when holding my bow in my left and pulling with my right.

Laothain
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Laothain »

Your kit looks really well done! I like the looks of your jerkin and quiver they inspire me to get some projects done so I can work on mine!
Cinead
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Cinead »

Nice kit!

If you and I ever meet on a trek, we MUST get a picture......we would seriously look like a Dunedan and Dwarf!

I am an axe guy, but love swords too....and that sword is massive!!!
Here I stand...unbowed, unbent, unbroken.
Jon
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Jon »

Impressive stuff.

Life before Death.
Strength before Weakness.
Journey before Destination.