Lessons learned... what exercises to you do?

For all of the Talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Lessons learned... what exercises to you do?

Post by Elleth »

.. everytime I go out for a walk, I try to make it a point to learn *one* thing new. Last trip out was identifying some new plants - I learned hawkweed and goldenrod. This time I was testing a leather canteen I got in a trade (failed miserably I'm afraid, I ended up wearing almost all my water), and getting a better handle on what trees are on the property. Most were familiar, but there's one I didn't recognize right off - to the books!

So what about y'all? Any particular learning exercises you do on your forays to get just a little bit better each time?

(And for that matter, any Middle Earth friendly insect repellent you'd recommend. Dang mosquitos!)

Edit - "before" and "after" capacity on that canteen. I might see about relining it, but I'm not certain that it's worth it for a bottle with a one-glass capacity to start with. Thankfully there's plenty of water on the property and most jaunts are short -

Last edited by Elleth on Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
ineffableone
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Re: Lessons learned... what exercises to you do?

Post by ineffableone »

Elleth wrote:And for that matter, any Middle Earth friendly insect repellent you'd recommend. Dang mosquitos!
Tea tree oil is a good one. You can use Dr Bronner's Tea Tree soap to wash not only yourself but your clothes for insect protection. Lemongrass and Eucalyptus is also a good one, and likely the most common herbal insect repellant on the market.
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

Tea tree - I'll try that! Thank you!

ID'd the tree - speckled alder! Real pretty bark - 'net says the bark is good for red-brown dye is a similar salicylic acid precursor to - I think - willow. So anti inflammatory.
Neat!
man_of_tanith
Dúnadan

Post by man_of_tanith »

Wilmas Nordic summer is a good rangeresque bug repellent.
I try and do a variety of stuff when out n about.
different fire lays,natural cordage,plant ID etc
Only the Wilderness is Pure Truth
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

24oz curls, 50 reps, each arm.

I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Ringulf wrote:24oz curls, 50 reps, each arm.

Nice !
Stormraven

Post by Stormraven »

I second you on the plant ID. I've got 13 acres here and I'm still identifying plants on it. Starting to work on a journal so I can collect specimens and maybe do some sketches.
"Many that live deserve death. Some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the wise cannot see all ends."
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

My Personal Trainer:

Truly a giant among Hobbits! :mrgreen:
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

Starting to work on a journal so I can collect specimens and maybe do some sketches.
EXCELLENT idea! I'm stealing it. Pencils and quality book for the walks now. :)
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Just wanted to make sure you knew it was really me doing the exersizes! I found this one today.

Cheers! :mrgreen:

ineffableone

Post by ineffableone »

As far as exercise I always like to stretch a bit at the beginning of a hike, and I will often jog at least some of the path in the woods. Not out of wanting to exercise but just often find a jogging pace fun through the woods. I imagine cashing down lost hobbits or a band of orcs and pace myself in a jog for long haul.

As for plant id, I am less into knowing names and more into knowing uses. So for me I often will look at plants and ID them and then quickly forget what the name was but will remember the medical use or if it is good for making cordage or if it is useful for tinder, or if it is edible.
ineffableone

Post by ineffableone »

BTW another herbal traditional insect repellant is cedar oil. As we all know cedar wood keeps the moths away, from our wool. Well it is also helpful against ticks and other bugs too. You can find cedar oil, a concentrated form of the insect repelling cedar sold in many shops that sell essential oils. You can also find cedar oil in a lot of herbal insect repellants.

I have wondered if a combo of Tea tree oil, lemongrass and eucalyptus, and cedar oil would be a potent insect repellant. I might have to try a mix of these and see how it works. I have used each separately but never tried a mix of them all.
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

That would be a very interesting experiment, let us know how it turns out.
I wonder if these several trees and herbs can be found in relatively close proximity to one another, Tea Tree and Eucalyptus if I am not mistaken are half a world away from cedar,(Japanese,Lebonese ceder?) and you got me on the origins of Lemongrass, Effective, natural combos are really all we are concerned about here due to the Fantastical nature of Middle Earth, but they would still grow in there respective climates, I wonder witch ones could have been theoretically utilized together?
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

That would be a very interesting experiment, let us know how it turns out.
I wonder if these several trees and herbs can be found in relatively close proximity to one another, Tea Tree and Eucalyptus if I am not mistaken are half a world away from cedar,(Japanese,Lebonese ceder?) and you got me on the origins of Lemongrass, Effective, natural combos are really all we are concerned about here due to the Fantastical nature of Middle Earth, but they would still grow in there respective climates, I wonder witch ones could have been theoretically utilized together?
It is kinda like the whole "period cotton question" Yeah it was grown in other parts of the world but only Eli's Gin and the southern slave owner's labor rendered it an effective, or at least practical, crop to be used by the masses.
Taurinor
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Taurinor »

I found this recipe here - I haven't tried it, but it uses herbs that would all grow together (I think the first four are Herbes de Provence).
Vinegar of the Four Thieves Insect Repellent Ingredients:

1 32 ounce bottle of Apple Cider Vinegar
2 TBSP each of dried Sage, Rosemary, Lavender, Thyme and Mint
At least quart size glass jar with airtight lid

How to Make the Vinegar of the Four Thieves Insect Repellent:

Put the vinegar and dried herbs into large glass jar.
Seal tightly and store on counter or place you will see it daily. Shake well each day for 2-3 weeks.
After 2-3 weeks, strain the herbs out and store in spray bottles or tincture bottles, preferably in fridge.
To use on skin, dilute to half with water in a spray bottle and use as needed.
Use whenever you need serious bug control!
- Ned Houndswood, Breelander
Richmond Fantasy-Inspired Hiking and Camping (on WordPress and Facebook)