Howdy!

For all of the Talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Tomcat1066
Wayfarer

Howdy!

Post by Tomcat1066 »

Hi there, folks. Name's Tom, and as you can clearly tell, I'm new around here.

A little bit about me. I started historical reenactment when I was just 13 years old (now 40) with American Civil War stuff with my family. Joined the Navy, so took a bit of a break for that. When I got out, I became involved in the SCA for a number of years, but left that due to a combination of factors mostly centered around politics. Muddled about trying to find a medieval era to reenact, but couldn't really get anything going. A few years back, I started doing 18th century stuff, then started doing a bit of Native American from the same era with some old Civil War reenacting buddies.

A few nights ago, one of them messaged me on Facebook. He knows I'm a science fiction writer who loves reading fantasy (will be writing some fantasy stuff down the road as well) and told me about a group he knew that did Rangers from LOTR and asked me if I wanted in. Well, DUH! I jumped at it.

So, now I'm here. There is a certain enchantment to "reenacting" something from such an iconic novel of the genre. The fact that it's also research for my own stuff is just a killer bonus!

Anyways, glad to be here!
Stormraven
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Re: Howdy!

Post by Stormraven »

Glad to have you here too Tom! Looking forward to some get-togethers in the fall when it's cooler.
"Many that live deserve death. Some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the wise cannot see all ends."
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

welcome to the Forum, Tom.
Tomcat1066
Wayfarer

Post by Tomcat1066 »

Stormraven wrote:Glad to have you here too Tom! Looking forward to some get-togethers in the fall when it's cooler.
Absolutely. Working right now on adding to my 18th century stuff so I can pull off the Ranger look correctly. It's going to be a blast. :D

Peter,

Thanks. I'm really glad to be here. There are some great looking kits here, and I can't wait until mine can join their ranks. :)
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

Welcome to the group, Tom! I can't wait to see what you come up with!

Ken
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Welcome Tom, good to see you on the forum, and that you are another Southern Ranger is also exciting! Being down here in "Southern Ithilian" I hope to get up and see some of my Northern Southern Brothers! :mrgreen:
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Tomcat1066
Wayfarer

Post by Tomcat1066 »

Mirimaran wrote:Welcome to the group, Tom! I can't wait to see what you come up with!

Ken
Thanks, Ken. We'll see what I can do. FWIW, one of my writing projects is to document builds as thoroughly as possible and possibly put out a complete guide for rangers. Basically, a one stop book for putting together a fantasy ranger kit with notes about appropriate modifications for thinks like GoT Nightwatch, etc. Now, I'll probably focus on it being tied in with the fantasy novel I'm planning out right now (gotta brand my stuff, right? ;) ), but it'll work for most fantasy settings.

Now, to make stuff that doesn't suck, so it would actually work! ;)
Ringulf wrote:Welcome Tom, good to see you on the forum, and that you are another Southern Ranger is also exciting! Being down here in "Southern Ithilian" I hope to get up and see some of my Northern Southern Brothers! :mrgreen:
Awesome! The more the merrier! :mrgreen:

Thanks again for the welcomes, one and all!
Willrett
Thangailhir

Post by Willrett »

welcome to the group
"Knowledge is a weapon. I intend to be formidably armed." Richard, the Seeker (Sword of Truth)"
Tomcat1066
Wayfarer

Post by Tomcat1066 »

Thanks!
Rifter
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Rifter »

Greetings
'Just because I don't like to fight...doesn't mean I can't'
robinhoodsghost
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by robinhoodsghost »

Welcome Ranger Tom.
In the darkest part of Sherwoods glade, in the thickest part of the wood, there are those who say, can still be seen, the ghost of Robin Hood.
Raziel Alastor
Wanderer

Post by Raziel Alastor »

Welcome!
Straelbora
Haeropada

Post by Straelbora »

Welcome.
Vápnum sínum skala maðr velli á
feti ganga framar því at óvist er at vita