What should one eat on the Road?

For all of the Talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Udwin
Vendor

What should one eat on the Road?

Post by Udwin »

As I continue to compile my primary-sources notes from my re-re-re-re-readings of Tolkien, I thought it would be worthwhile to have all my notes on a subject together in one place. I tackled Food first, and found the results very enlightening (page numbers refer to the Ballantine/DelRey paperback editions).

Most the foods Tolkien mentions in the text are simple, healthy, filling fare – and ideal for traveling.
The first chapter of The Hobbit paints a slightly more anachronistic representation of Middle-earth food, but that source as a whole is somewhat ‘fiddly’ anyway.
From An Unexpected Party, we learn that Bilbo’s pantries contain “beer, ale, porter, red wine, coffee(?!), and tea” to drink, and “‘cake’, seed-cake, buttered scones, raspberry jam, apple-tart, mince-pies, pork-pie, salad, cold chicken, eggs, cheese, and pickles” to eat (“pickles” was thankfully changed from “tomatoes”—a New World crop—in the third edition. Besides, unless they are canned, fresh tomatoes in mid-April would be ridiculous – fermentation is a much more hobbity method of food preservation!).
The rest of The Hobbit provides scant mentions of other foods, but these include:
“sorrel, blackberries, and strawberries” (all wild); Beorn’s “honey, cream, butter, bread, Mead (!), nuts, flour, dried fruits, and twice-baked honey cakes”, and the cram of Lake-town.

In The Lord of the Rings, the same foods are depicted on various tables with enough regularity that a clear picture can be imagined of everyday Middle-earth food, while several other familiar vegetables are referred to but never seen.

Hamfast Gamgee—“recognized as the leading authority by all in the neighbourhood (including himself)” in gardening—refers to “cabbages and potatoes” (FotR, 24). His son Sam was also evidently quite familiar with vegetables, based on his various other references.

After the chaos following Bilbo’s disappearance, Frodo revives himself “with a belated cup of tea.” This is one of those troublesome lingering anachronisms, as true tea (of the Camellia plant) originates in the Far East – either there’s significant trade between the Shire and Rhun, or else hobbits are steeping some other leaf in hot water.

As Frodo prepares to leave Bag-End, we read that the autumn of 3018 had trees “laden with apples, honey was dripping in the combs, and the corn was tall and full” (75). (Please note that this does not mean that Maize was grown in the Shire! – it could mean any Old World grain—wheat, barley, oats, &c.)
At Bamfurlong, Farmer Maggot serves “beer, mushrooms and bacon, besides much other solid farmhouse fare” (107).

At Bombadil’s table, the travelers are treated to “yellow cream, honeycomb, white bread, butter, milk, cheese, green herbs, and ripe berries.” (141). The food that Tom serves is intriguing, especially because his table includes much dairy, yet there is never any mention of his keeping livestock. Because the character is so enigmatic, it would be easy for us to say that the food is ‘magically’ created in accordance with his guests’ tastes. But at the same time, Bombadil keeps a small “kitchen-garden” including red-flowered pole beans (145), so I think his food is quite real. Knowing his habit of traveling about (to visit Farmer Maggot, for instance), I think it is probable that Bombadil trades with Bucklanders or Bree-landers for staples like milk or flour.
What I find more troublesome are his “ripe berries”! The hobbits reach Bombadil’s on the 26th of Halimath, which equates to the Gregorian September 16 – what kind of berries are ripe that late in the year??
Continuing along the East Road to Bree, the hobbits reach the Prancing Pony and enjoy “good plain food, as good as the Shire could show”: “deep mugs of beer, hot soup, cold meats, blackberry tart, bread, butter, ripe cheese.” (175).
Apples are apparently found in Bree-land, too, as Sam receives a pocketful from Nob and Bob (204).
The Folk of Bree are also known to have kept geese (190), possibly for meat as well as eggs and feathers (arrow fletchings, pillows, &c).

Following the disaster at Weathertop, while lost in the Trollshaws the travelers’ rations are diminished to “stale bread and dried fruit” (239), possibly all that remains from their resupply at Bree (203). And we mustn’t forget that Glorfindel has a flask of elf-liquor!

At Rivendell, Bilbo reveals knowledge of another vegetable in his exchange with Lindir:
“'If you can't distinguish between a Man and a Hobbit, your judgement is poorer than I imagined. They're as different as peas and apples.'” (265).

Little mention of food is made as The Ring Goes South, although we do read that the Fellowship generally ate their “meal cold and cheerless as a rule, for they could seldom risk the lighting of a fire” (316). Therefore it is advisable for one to carry food that doesn’t need cooking.

Lembas, we are told, came “in the form of very thin cakes, made of a meal that was baked a light brown on the outside, and inside was the colour of cream.” The passage goes on to compare the various waybreads of Wilderland: lembas is clearly the best, followed by the Beornings’ twice-baked honey-cakes, with cram (from Dale and Lake-town) coming in last. (415).

After the Breaking of the Fellowship, the adventures of Merry and Pippin give great insight into the victuals of Isengard. The Orc-party who abducts the hobbits eat “stale grey bread” and “raw dried flesh” (mystery jerky!), and there’s also their burning orc-liquor, but that seems to be more like their version of ‘Five-Hour Energy’ as opposed to an actual, thirst-quenching drink. (TTT 49).
In the ruin of Isengard, Merry and Pippin find “bread” (which they make into toast), as well as “salted pork” and “rashers of bacon”, plus “butter and honey” for bread, and barrels of wine and beer (181).

As the Ring Goes East, Frodo, Sam, and Smeagol eat well once they reach Ithilien. The description of the flora in “the garden of Gondor” paints a very clear picture of herbs available in a Mediterranean climate, so pay attention, Ithilien Ranger groups, if you want to use correct seasonings in your impressions:
“tamarisk, terebinth, olives, bay, juniper, myrtle, thymes, sage, marjoram, parsley, primrose, asphodel, and filbert (hazelnut)” (289).

While cooking his coneys, Sam wishes that Smeagol could find some familiar root vegetables – “onions, turnips and carrots, and taters too”. He also offers to combine his and Smeagol’s favorite foods into a familiar dish: “‘fried fish and chips served by S. Gamgee’” (294-295).

Before sitting down to eat with Faramir and his Rangers, Sam refers to yet another veggie he apparently knows about: “`But if you're short of sleep cold water on the neck's like rain on a wilted lettuce.’” The subsequent spread at Faramir’s table includes “pale yellow wine, bread and butter, salted meats, dried fruits, red cheese” (320).
As they prepare to head towards Cirith Ungol, Faramir gives Frodo and Sam more of the same rations: “dried fruits, salted meat, and bread” (343). As we read in Book 5, apples were grown in Gondor (there were “many orchards” upon the Pelennor (RotK 7), so these dried fruits may have included them.

On the other side of the Anduin, Pippin eats “white cakes” with Denethor in his hall (RotK 15). Later that morning, he lunches with Beregond who requisitions “bread, and butter, and cheese and apples: the last of the winter store, wrinkled but sound and sweet; and a leather flagon of new-drawn ale” (21-22).

After this point in the story, the War takes center stage and food (save lembas) drops out of the narrative until we return to the unscoured Shire. There we learn that among the casualties of Saruman’s takeover, “All the chestnuts were gone.” (322). However, after the Battle of Bywater and Sam’s wise use of Galadriel’s gift, we read that in the Great Year of Plenty, “The fruit was so plentiful that young hobbits very nearly bathed in strawberries and cream; and later they sat on the lawns under the plum-trees and ate” and “The Northfarthing barley was so fine that the beer of 1420 malt was long remembered and became a byword” (331).
The presence of plums allows for dried plums (aka prunes), while the mention of barley gives us an appropriate dried grain to carry for porridge-making.

And of course, we can't forget Fish!
Personae: Aistan son of Ansteig, common Beorning of Wilderland; Tungo Brandybuck, Eastfarthing Bounder, 3018 TA; a native Man of the Greyflood, c.850 SA
Straelbora
Haeropada

Re: What should one eat on the Road?

Post by Straelbora »

Thanks for doing the arduous research that I've meant to do for years now. I frequently host 'Hobbitfest' parties and always wanted to serve the most accurate fare, according to the books.

As to mid-September ripe berries, a quick look on the internet shows: blackberries (hence the blackberry tart?), wild grapes, elderberries, highbush cranberries, and others that are only native to the Americas. Some sources put blueberries as ripe and available until the first frost. Sloe berries are also mentioned as ripening in September.
Vápnum sínum skala maðr velli á
feti ganga framar því at óvist er at vita
nær verðr á vegum úti geirs um þörf guma
Hávamál
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Heck of a list, full of good info. Took a good while to collect all that, for certain. Bravo!
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

One of the best Tolkien related articles that I have read all year, I think. Well researched and written, and shows how food makes LoTR so acessible to every reader. Well done!

Ken
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Stormraven
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Stormraven »

For our treks, I've been copying the list as detailed at Henneth Annun. Of note, red cheese seems to be Leiceister cheese that the coloring annatto has been added. I found this cheese in the fancy cheese section of Publix.
"Many that live deserve death. Some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the wise cannot see all ends."
Straelbora
Haeropada

Post by Straelbora »

I think by implication, we could add venison, since the Dwarves tried to shoot that deer in Mirkwood.

Swans are also mentioned in the books, not necessarily as a food animal, although they were certainly eaten in medieval Europe.

I'd have to look again, but I think squirrels may have also been mentioned in the Mirkwood section, and I know I've eaten my fair share.

Ditto for bats- mentioned in the books, but not as a food animal. I've eaten bat meat in South America, but I don't think that bats are that widely eaten in most cultures.

Like the thrush in "The Hobbit," I've also eaten snails.

Any other animals mentioned, but not as food?
Hávamál
Udwin
Vendor

Post by Udwin »

Animals off the top of my head:
*sheep ("Roast Mutton"; those poached by the Eagles)
*horses
*cattle (Hurin, Beorn, Lake-town...)
*pigs (salted pork, bacon)
*Venison is a definite. Hal Gamgee went "up to the Northfarthing for the hunting" and deer are often used figuratively. Thorin and Company also saw "small herds of red deer" on their way to Mirkwood. Under the forest-eaves, there is the deer (and whatever else the elves' hunting party were after),
*but the black squirrels of Mirkwood were "horrible to taste".
*goats (don't appear in Tolkien, but are used figuratively or referenced in names (ex Harry Goatleaf in Bree), and authentic hobbitish had a word, gamba, meaning “he-goat”, later translated “buck” as in “Brandybuck”, so they were known)
*cats
*dogs
*geese at Bree
*eels
*hedgehogs?! (mentioned by an Ithilien Ranger!)
And of course there's always the sentient Fox in the Shire.
Personae: Aistan son of Ansteig, common Beorning of Wilderland; Tungo Brandybuck, Eastfarthing Bounder, 3018 TA; a native Man of the Greyflood, c.850 SA
Straelbora
Haeropada

Post by Straelbora »

Udwin wrote:Animals off the top of my head:
*sheep ("Roast Mutton"; those poached by the Eagles)
*horses
*cattle (Hurin, Beorn, Lake-town...)
*pigs (salted pork, bacon)
*Venison is a definite. Hal Gamgee went "up to the Northfarthing for the hunting" and deer are often used figuratively. Thorin and Company also saw "small herds of red deer" on their way to Mirkwood. Under the forest-eaves, there is the deer (and whatever else the elves' hunting party were after),
*but the black squirrels of Mirkwood were "horrible to taste".
*goats (don't appear in Tolkien, but are used figuratively or referenced in names (ex Harry Goatleaf in Bree), and authentic hobbitish had a word, gamba, meaning “he-goat”, later translated “buck” as in “Brandybuck”, so they were known)
*cats
*dogs
*geese at Bree
*eels
*hedgehogs?! (mentioned by an Ithilien Ranger!)
And of course there's always the sentient Fox in the Shire.
I had made a list, and did include sheep. I had forgotten hedgehogs. I hope the fox tail I have didn't belong to one that could speak!
Hávamál
Greg

Post by Greg »

Any guesses on what beans would fit into the region, considering the reference of beans at Bombadil's? I've tried carrying kidney beans, but they are SO labor-intensive to cook, with the whole "steep/boil, rinse, re-boil for hours" nonsense that comes with carrying them dry. Lentils are a bit far east for Europe, but they go so far back historically, and are readily grown in Spain/France, etc.

And, of course, they're a great protein source, so...any thoughts?
Straelbora
Haeropada

Post by Straelbora »

Greg wrote:Any guesses on what beans would fit into the region, considering the reference of beans at Bombadil's? I've tried carrying kidney beans, but they are SO labor-intensive to cook, with the whole "steep/boil, rinse, re-boil for hours" nonsense that comes with carrying them dry. Lentils are a bit far east for Europe, but they go so far back historically, and are readily grown in Spain/France, etc.

And, of course, they're a great protein source, so...any thoughts?
Lentils have been present in Europe for so long, I think they'd pass a Middle-Earth legitimacy test. Same for peas and chickpeas.

And although barley is a grain and not a bean, I carry it for camping, and I'm guessing Barliman Butterbur's name gives it Middle-Earth feasability as well.
Hávamál
Udwin
Vendor

Post by Udwin »

Re: cooking. I've found the best way to use homegrown dry pole beans was by soaking them overnight in water + veg oil, and then pressure-cooking them for ~30 minutes. I wonder what would happen if allowed to dehydrate again after this pressure cooking? Would they quickly rehydrate and mush-ify on the trail?

I usually think of beans as a New World plant, but a quick bit of research reminded me of Old World sorts like broad/fava beans, regular peas, garbonzo/chickpeas, and related vetches.

Considering what we know about Bombadil's crop (1) they were beans, 2) with red flowers, and 3) grew on poles 4) at Shire latitude*) I don't think there's any perfect period solution. Two or three out of four is the best we might hope for.
*Considering the time period in question (6kya) I think climate at Oxford/Shire latitude was much warmer and sunnier than it is now--i.e. before the cooling of Europe at the end of the BronzeAge.

Broad beans are suitably ancient (in eastern Mediterranean sphere by 6000BCE, and into Europe by 2000BCE) and very hardy (perfect for Shire latitudes)! I even found two varieties of broad beans with red flowers: this one, and the 'Red Epicure' cultivar, but neither is a vining 'pole' bean. Plus, the Red Epicure harvests through August and Bombadil's were still in flower on ~September 17 (S.R. 27 Halimath). Rats.

Peas also originate in the ancient eastern Mediterranean; they are definitely vine-friendly but I don't know about red flowers. They're also a cold-weather crop.

Chickpeas also also originated in the eastern Mediterranean, and southern Europe by the late Neolithic and Bronze Age. Possibly Germany by 1st century CE? But I don't think they are vine-growers, and I have no leads on red-flowered varieties.

I grew (or tried to grow) some Scarlet Runners this past summer; they're definitely beans, vine-friendly, and have bright red flowers, but also definitely New World beans.
Could we chalk the presence of beans in M-E up to Gondorian voyages to the 'new lands' created post-Downfall?

Barley was definitely documented in the Shire (RotK 331) and Bree-land possibly via Barliman^. Although I recall somewhere Tolkien said his first name was a translated version of Barnabas or Barney.
Straelbora
Haeropada

Post by Straelbora »

Not sure if this article has been linked before:

http://www.strangehorizons.com/2008/200 ... en-a.shtml

It's a similar analysis based upon reference to the books- what might you find in a Hobbit's larder?
Hávamál
Kortoso
Haeropada

Post by Kortoso »

Recently, I inadvertently discovered hardtack. Looks like it's got quite a heritage, under various names:
Hardtack

I can imagine bringing along a small copper vessel to boil up water, placing a bit of hardtack in the hot water, together with whatever wild greens and roots I might find.

So, for me, I would have hardtack and jerky. It could be made to last a goodly time.
There are no safe paths in this part of the world. Remember you are over the Edge of the Wild now, and in for all sorts of fun wherever you go.
Straelbora
Haeropada

Post by Straelbora »

Kortoso wrote:Recently, I inadvertently discovered hardtack. Looks like it's got quite a heritage, under various names:
Hardtack

I can imagine bringing along a small copper vessel to boil up water, placing a bit of hardtack in the hot water, together with whatever wild greens and roots I might find.

So, for me, I would have hardtack and jerky. It could be made to last a goodly time.
Talk to Greg about this- he makes some pretty good hardtack.
Hávamál
Greg

Post by Greg »

Soak some hardtack in your boiler for half an hour, and then stew some chunks of salt pork and diced potatoes in there with it. Makes a nice broth, and a decent approximation of "Pork and Dumplings". Don't just drop the hardtack in, though...it needs to sit for a little while at least before you start cooking everything else, or you'll overcook everything else to get the hardtack soft enough. Don't wait long enough, and a tooth may come out in the hardtack. Eat it dry, and PART of a tooth will come out in it. Soak thoroughly.

The two year old and I just filled my snapsack with a sizable batch of hardtack today! Granted, there were more handprints than holes in a few of them, but hey...helps you remember who's waiting at home.