What defines a Ranger?

For all of the Talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Re: What defines a Ranger?

Post by Greg »

I can get behind the idea that the Rangers were, and are, perceived as larger-than-life. I don't necessarily want to change how the public perceives a ranger at, say, a renaissance festival...but I AM feeling a need to change the way that those who are in-the-know see my kit, so that there is an ever-clearer distinction between a real Tolkien ranger and just another guy with a bow and a sword dressed in green. A real, book-accurate historically driven ranger should be recognizable as one in the woods as much as at a faire...and at the same time, until our numbers dramatically increase, it should be something they've never seen before. That combination of real hunter-traveller accuracy with real history WILL, I think, bring about the larger-than-life impression pete's talking about.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

The trouble is that we are not the Dunedain..so we are not taller, longer lived, etc. There was a certain presence. We might can cultivate something like that, but that's not a visual thing, more of a bearing thing. I'd say the grey cloak and star are the best way for folk to know at once that you are a Ranger of the North.

The Ithilien Rangers had effectively a uniform of sorts, and the tree on their chests, so they are covered. Not hard to spot.

We northern sorts though, it is tougher. Now confining it to 'those in the know', as it were, simple kinds of decoration without being blingy could get that across. Again, the star, or Elven designs here and there, that sort of thing. All visual cues.

Trouble is, anyone overweight or very short is not going to fit the visual cue for a northern Ranger, which is not a problem inside our own group, but would be a problem outside it as then you'd just be seen as a cosplayer. I have nothing against cosplaying, just trying to point out the problem with visual cues...most of which are of the 'first impression' type.

For us here on the inside, and other groups like us elsewhere, the Elven designs, star, and cloak are probably the best cues. Banners too, I might add. Black and white would be closest to the original naturally. Mmmm, when being 'in town' so to speak, something black and white could help...a surcote, or clothing designed with said symbols and such for trim.

Larger than life the Dunedain were, partly because they were legendary, descendents from those mighty Men who came from the drowned kingdom over the sea. We have to create our legend and that's where the visual stuff comes in, I think.

Not elite, not ninjas, not super-soldiers, or specops, but a legend deriving from our reconstruction of those legendary folk in the books.

You have to admit, the Ithilien Rangers have a lot more give in this regard...they were not Dunedain, although Faramir was close in appearance and his blood ran nearly true. There's a lot more visual leeway in this regard.

Just some thoughts before coffee. O-o

Eledhwen
Nandalad!
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

Eledhwen wrote:
I seem to recall a recounting of a group of Rangers of the North resisting the Black Riders at the Tharbad Crossings and being defeated and scattered. While they could not have overcome the Witch Kind and his entourage in any case, there do not seem to have been very many of the Rangers there either. I got the impression of an ad-hoc group scratched up for the purpose, or a small group on watch to the South of the Shire.

Eledhwen
At Sarn Ford, yes. Oh look, a poem! :)

At Sarn Ford

AT Sarn Ford we awaited the night
as we held the bridge in the waning light
my comrades and I left to die
as others took hoof and tried to fly
but they were slain so that none would know
what we faced in the waning glow
as the sun sat in the distant West
and shadows grew around the rest
of the Rangers doomed to die
none would know where we lie
for we faced Riders in Black
and courage we did not lack
bows drawn and swords bared
no fear we had, none were scared
but in our hearts we felt the icy grip
of magic dark and courage slipped
and arrows flew heedless and swords fell away
as the power of Mordor held sway
and there I stood in the midst of madness
my fellows screaming in the darkness
the sword of my father now like lead
as my fingers feel cold and dead
and my heart beating like a drum
as the Dark Rider turns and comes
for me now, the last Ranger
for whom Death was never a stranger
alone now against the minions of the Dark Lord
the Last Defender of Sarn Ford
the crashing of hooves louder than the roar
of the Brandywine that beneath us poured
under the Bridge and to the Sea
I readied myself and dropped to one knee
my hand finding the hilt of my ancient blade
and as I gripped it and swung, the Dark Captain I bade
"Tell them in Mordor that the Dunedain still stand
that dark things fear us, that this is our land
and though this night I take my last breath
soon, the Dark Lord will know his death"
and then my blade shattered
against those robes black and tattered
and a wave of his hand took my life
my heart pierced by a Morgul knife
and I fell away into the Baranduin
slain by the Captain of Ruin
and I washed away to find brighter shores
the last Defender of Sarn Ford...
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Greg

Post by Greg »

What ever would we do without you, Ken?
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

Greg wrote:What ever would we do without you, Ken?
I thought about that once, Greg. Worse 5 seconds of my life :) This is still my most favorite place on the web, hands down.

Ken
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Rifter
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Rifter »

*chuckles from his corner of the room* well said
'Just because I don't like to fight...doesn't mean I can't'
Greg

Post by Greg »

On the topic of being skilled travellers, a quote from a dear old mentor of mine, now passed:

"A good traveller has no fixed plans and is not intent on arriving."

I feel like that sums up the traveling habits of a Ranger pretty well...at least, how Aragorn approached his travels for much of his younger life spent out and about.
robinhoodsghost
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by robinhoodsghost »

"A good traveler has no fixed plans and is not intent on arriving.",....love that quote, a lot of wisdom in that.
In the darkest part of Sherwoods glade, in the thickest part of the wood, there are those who say, can still be seen, the ghost of Robin Hood.
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

That sounds very much like Gandalf's reply to Fodo upon being told by the young hobbit that he was "late".
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Greg

Post by Greg »

Interesting parallel...I like it!

Speaking of being late...where've you been? Haven't seen you around much as of late. Busy travelling, with no fixed plans, I'm sure.
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Travelling for sure, not as free and easy as was suggested to my chagrin.
Took a jaunt from Florida to Maryland then on to Buffallo NY for my daughters wedding. We then proceeded on to Michigan to visit my wife's older sister who was in bad health.
From there we went to her parents farm in Tennessee, two hours west of Nashville and back home to Florida.
Sadly we had to go right back to Michigan to attend her sister's funeral the next week.
We got back just in time to put her 15 year old dog to sleep, poor old Mashall the Swamp Dog slipped the surly bonds of earth and is now chasing Heavenly UPS trucks.
Been somwhat in the Summer Doldrums phisically and mentally, but am climbing back out now and getting some more work done. I have a backlog of cool things to post so I think you may see more of my drivel in the near future. :mrgreen:
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Greg

Post by Greg »

The destinations don't have to be fun, or positive, to make something of the journey. Well-traveled, indeed, and many happy returns. I've no doubt that a Beorning would make ample legwork of visiting relatives all up and down the Anduin vale.
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

Welcome back, friend Ringulf. It is nice, despite our ramblings and long wanders, to have a home to return to :)

Ken
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

It most certainly is nice Friend Mirimaran to have a home to return to. Of course no matter where I roam coming back to the MERF Site is a homecoming in itself.
Greg you hit the nail on the head, I have often thought of the traveling I do as that of a Waildanbair (Cheiftan or "Ruling bear") or Frathaguim("Wise one" the eldest of a family or clan.) (both names originating from the Merp RPG but I have no other words at the moment better researched to discribe them.)
It was suggested that there was the predominent leader who lived near the Carrock, and lesser ones that lived in the upper vales of the Nan Anduin, as well as ones below the Old Dwarven Road: the Men-e-Naugrim, more or less overseeing the families of the lower vales and Southern Mirkwood. They would visit the isolated family units in their territories and would also gather together for council with each other at times as well.
I had written stories of one such character a while back that did such traveling and when I do travel I often think of that. It is fun to put myself in the boots of my alternate like that, thaks for the reminder! :mrgreen: