Viking traveller's porridge

For all of the Talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Straelbora
Haeropada

Viking traveller's porridge

Post by Straelbora »

I recently bought a book, "An Early Meal," with reconstructed Viking-era Scandinavian recipes. One that instantly caught my eye was the 'Traveller's porridge.'

Here's my take:

Boil one pound of smoked bacon (on the Road, any smoked pork- you actually only need 2/3 of a pound) in about 8 cups of water. Remove the cooked meat and save the broth.

Dice some onion (or scallions, leeks- anything from the onion family) and saute in about a half stick of butter.

Take about 12 to 16 ounces of barley (partially ground up beforehand), add it to the butter/onion mix, then to the water to simmer.

While the barley is softening, chop the pork into fine pieces. I added a step here, since I wasn't dealing with pork that had been fully cooked when I started- I took the bacon and put it in the pan from the butter/onions and fried it to crisp it up some.

When the barley is getting soft, add the pork and complete cooking.

It was very, very tasty and very filling.

As I try other recipes from the book, I'll post results.
Vápnum sínum skala maðr velli á
feti ganga framar því at óvist er at vita
nær verðr á vegum úti geirs um þörf guma
Hávamál
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Re: Viking traveller's porridge

Post by Ringulf »

I am going to try that! I have an event coming up in February that is our third Ranger Gathering. and this would be great for Traveler's fare (Friday nights food for folks as they come in to camp) or the breakfast the next morning.
Sounds like a cool book can you give us the info? :mrgreen:
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
MasterStrong
Wanderer

Post by MasterStrong »

I'm going to look into that book.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Indeed, I had forgotten about this post! I'd be very interested to hear about any other recipes from the book you've tried. This one sounds great!
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

Oh yum! Now that does sound good! You know what I'd like to see? A youtube channel of these ancient recipes being tried out!

Ken
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Mirimaran wrote:Oh yum! Now that does sound good! You know what I'd like to see? A youtube channel of these ancient recipes being tried out!

Ken
Brilliant!
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Tried this one it was very good! Even dumped in some peas from the dinner before and I thought it was a great mix.
You really could do this with a lot of the leftover vegies or meats from the previous meal and it will change the porrige in little bits to give it new and interesting variations (kinda like family style fried rice!
:mrgreen:
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Kortoso
Haeropada

Post by Kortoso »

This is like something we used to cook over the fire in San Diego. But Jorg's way was much simpler.
He would dice salt pork and fry it in the bottom of the pot. Then in would go diced onions and shortly thereafter, garlic.
The meat, often cubed lamb, would be fried 'til brown on top of that. When it was ready, bulghur, or kasha or rice sometimes barley, was roasted in the mix before adding water and salt. At some point in the frying process, spices and herbs would be thrown in, often such as coriander and cumin.

Jorg probably derived his recipe from the same source as yours.

This is what I have planned for this weekend's ranger campout.
There are no safe paths in this part of the world. Remember you are over the Edge of the Wild now, and in for all sorts of fun wherever you go.
Kortoso
Haeropada

Post by Kortoso »

Back from the campout.
Yes, I would suggest editing recipes so it can be made in a single pot.
There are no safe paths in this part of the world. Remember you are over the Edge of the Wild now, and in for all sorts of fun wherever you go.