Happy New Year: 2016 New Skill Challenge- anyone wanna play?

For all of the Talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Happy New Year: 2016 New Skill Challenge- anyone wanna play?

Post by Elleth »

Happy New Year Rangers!

Thought I'd share the New Year Challenge I'm doing this year: publicly commit to learning or doing at least four new things over 2016. Anyone want to join me?

Here's my list of things that are new or mostly to me, in a format borrowed from our forum setup:

WMA / NMA:
Make at least six "real" arrows from shaft and feather, horn, hide glue, thread, point and pitch (I've never done anything besides mounting points on existing arrows with 3Rivers glue). Learn to get those new arrows in a basketball sized area from (I'll make it easy this year) 15 yards.

Crafts & Skills:
Herbalism: I've never done anything significant along herbalist lines. This year I want to learn enough to make a period "boo boo salve" from comfrey, etc. - and a "buoy up the spirit" cordial from I don't know what yet - but specifically aimed at deep body fatigue and mood.

WoodCraft:
Learn to reliably identify (or even plant) and use at least one new edible or medicinal plant in my ranging area. I've had this idea since we moved out to the new place, but I've been so busy with the garden I've not done it. So this year for sure.

Dunedain Culture:
Despite 10-year-old me getting lost in the RoTK appendices, I've not messed with Tengwar or Sindarin in probably over ten years. I want to re-learn both enough for a short calligraphy/illumination project. (Also new: I've done a little calligraphy, but never illumination).

So that's my challenges this year. Anyone else game?
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Re: Happy New Year: 2016 New Skill Challenge- anyone wanna p

Post by Mirimaran »

Admirable goals, Elleth! I have long been away from Ranger business, too heavy have the cares of this world laid upon my shoulders, rather than the cloak I long to wear. I now feel inspired, and what steps I can take back to Middle-earth, I will.

Ken
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

I'll bite, and I'll use your four categories, to boot. Now, let's see here...

WMA / NMA:
Find and attend 'regularly' an organized study/training group for Western Martial Arts. Regularly should be, at minimum, once a month, but weekly would be preferable. I've spent plenty of time studying the manuscripts on my own, but I know for a fact that bookwork cannot replace hands-on learning with experienced individuals. Time to get on it.

Crafts & Skills:
I still have that yew stave that keeps getting put on the back-burner. I've never finished a bow in a historical fashion with 100% hand tools before; getting that bow finished up and working (preferably without exploding) needs to happen this year.

WoodCraft:
I'll treat this category a bit more as "trek-craft" than just woodcraft. My "do it out in the woods" category, if you will. This year, preferably on a planned overnighter, I intend to take live wild game of some kind, and process+cook+consume it on the same trip, using only the Tolkien-correct tools at my disposal. Method of take may vary.

Dunedain Culture:
I want to finish fleshing out my kit references and details, and get a completed kit posted. You know...for the first time in the seven years I've spent on this forum. I've got a few select kit pieces I need to finish, which will include waiting for Ernie to finish my sword, but I believe by the end of the year I should be able to get this done.

I'm gonna throw up one more goal, for grins, in what I'll call Forum Culture
Meet, in kit, and trek (preferably overnight, if possible) with at least one forum member I haven't met before. I've got a nice list of folks I've connected with in a few states already, which I'd like to continue expanding.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Yavion
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Yavion »

Last edited by Yavion on Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Okay, I love this idea too. Aaaaaand... at first I was intimidated by it, such that I was not going to toss my hat into the ring, but after thinking about it a little... well hell, why not.

Here it goes:

WMA / NMA:
I would like to considerably improve my proficiency in archery, and in that same vein, take over or start one regular local SCA archery practice, which I will be responsible for running and maintaining. I would also like to at least ATTEMPT some cut-and-thrust work with the local SCA chapter. I'd love to do more specifically WMA oriented stuff, but that may have to wait a while. Baby steps.

Crafts & Skills:
I hope to manage to actually start a fire in the field with flint and steel. I failed rather spectacularly at this the last time I went trekking, and I think it's time I figured it the heck out. Also, I intend to upgrade many of my kit items to be more functional, and create some new items that all but eliminate the need for me to carry anything modern into the field that can reasonably be avoided. So things like, a functional haversack, waterproof food bags/pouches, a better fire-starting kit, etc. That also means making more functional garb that will serve me better while actually trekking.

WoodCraft:
My two big goals here are simple: get in better shape, and get outdoors more. I'm a long way off from being a real outdoorsman, but just getting out into the wilderness more is a huge step in the right direction for me, and of course, it would help if I lost some weight and strengthened myself properly to endure such activities.

Dunedain Culture:
This one's a toughy... but I think I'll just have cop out and also go with re-reading the Trilogy. I'm just starting the Two Towers again, but it's taking aaaaaages, so I need to get on that a little better.
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Ursus
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Ursus »

Sounds fun, there is always room for improvement!

WMA/NMA:
Most on here know by now that I'm a long time HEMA practitioner and instructor. As far as skills go I already practice most of the combat skills viable to a ME ranger on an almost daily basis. What I would like to do is map out a ranger oriented training program backed by lectures on each topic. I would also like to post a series of short videos to go with each topic so everyone could get the best visual explanation possible.

Crafts & Skills:
I intend to continue working on my bladesmithing, hilt fabrication and handle wrapping skills. Additionally I would like to improve my hand stitching, or at least develop the patience to do it better.

Woodcraft:
My goal here is to post more photos and write-ups about my regular ranging's and overnights. On average I day hike in kit every weekend and overnight about every other month in the spring, summer, and fall. Similar to my WMA goals I would like to add in little instructional's on things like tracking, woodland stealth, and snaring.

Dunedain Culture:
I'm kind of drawing a blank on this one. I read the books bi yearly. As far as my kit goes I'm going to carry what I want reference or no. To that end I'm going to attempt to add in one culture oriented piece into my kit that is well researched and fits with my persona.
"Lonely men are we, Rangers of the wild, hunters – but hunters ever of the servants of the Enemy."

“My cuts, short or long, don’t go wrong.”
Greg

Post by Greg »

Ursus, that first goal of yours is something I was just wanting to discuss with you, actually, for the forum. I'll PM you shortly.
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

I love these ideas!

.. and Ursus, Greg - those video ideas sound AWESOME! I can't wait to see them!

Any chance of one exploring the "closing time and how long you have to get a blade in your hands after that first arrows fly" question, since you've spoken to that before?
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Ursus wrote: What I would like to do is map out a ranger oriented training program backed by lectures on each topic. I would also like to post a series of short videos to go with each topic so everyone could get the best visual explanation possible.
Ursus, I would also like to toss in another hearty "YES PLEASE" for this! I know a lot of people who have deeply explored as many period sword manuals as they could get their hands on, and always recommend I do the same, but I've always been intimidated, not really knowing where to begin. If I had a more specific sort of "lesson plan" to go off, and even better, videos to demonstrate anything I didn't quite understand in the text, I would be much more inclined to actually start studying this. I think it sounds like a great idea.
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Ursus
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Ursus »

Elleth wrote:Any chance of one exploring the "closing time and how long you have to get a blade in your hands after that first arrows fly" question, since you've spoken to that before?
I actually have quite a bit of data on this. Ill make a separate post over in the WMA forum on it, hopefully before the weekend is over.
"Lonely men are we, Rangers of the wild, hunters – but hunters ever of the servants of the Enemy."

“My cuts, short or long, don’t go wrong.”
Taurinor
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Taurinor »

A little late, maybe, but I’d like to get involved in this.

WMA/NMA:
I’ve got a buddy with some experience in Viking-style combat and a little bit of longsword experience, so I need to work with him to get some WMA learnin’. We’ve got some other friends who are also interested, so a small group/class of sorts could be possible. I also need to get out to the archery range more often when spring rolls around.

Crafts and Skills:
I have a few components of my kit that need re-working or re-making. They’re in that dangerous place of “good enough”, where they function but I’m not completely happy with them, but I have trouble motivating myself to improve them because they function. My shirt is machine sewn and too big, so I need to pull it apart, cut it down, and hand sew it. My costrel is also not quite right, and needs to be tweaked or possibly remade. I’d like to replace my belt pouch with a kidney pouch. I’ve also made one arrow that I like and one that I don’t, so I need to remake one and make at least four more.

Woodcraft:
I’d like to do a proper dispersed camping-style overnighter. The overnighters that I’ve done have had predetermined tent-pad sites, so I’d like to do a trek where I choose where to set up.

Dunedain Culture:
I’d like to get my Breelander kit to a point where I can do a complete write up for the wiki. I don’t know that I’ll be able to document everything I carry, but I’d like to do what I can.
- Ned Houndswood, Breelander
Richmond Fantasy-Inspired Hiking and Camping (on WordPress and Facebook)
Greg

Post by Greg »

I don't think it'll be possible for us to document absolutely EVERYTHING that we carry...just come as close as you're able. Northern Ranger personas have precious few direct references, and have to pull from nearby geographic references, ie. the Shire and Bree. In the same way, I'm sure you'll be able to cover a significant majority of your stuff in the wonderful chapters found in Bree, but there'll always be holes to fill with history. Can't wait to see it!
Udwin
Vendor

Re: 2016 New Skill Challenge

Post by Udwin »

Great idea Elleth! I've been mulling these goals over for a bit, obviously, and I figure posting them here will help pressure me into keeping up with them. There's a busy semester ahead of me, but these should be good activities to keep my head and hands 'grounded', and balance out all the conceptual fluff of my courses.

WMA / NMA:
I don't really go in for swordplay (not befitting of a commoner like me!), but I definitely want to get some regular archery practice under my belt. I just finished three blunts for small game, so those need breaking in, and I would like to make up some new arrows with bodkin or target points instead of hunting broadheads. In the next month I hope to get a proper iron spearhead forged, so I might then have a reason to look into polearm exercises.

Crafts & Skills:
Hmm. I have all the pre/historic soft kit I could want at this point, so I don't have any sewing on the docket.
But I do have a stack of 14? deer- and goatskins that will need to be softened and smoked come spring...at least a couple of those I'll demonstrate at a local history event at the end of April.
I plan to make a map of Wilderland and the Anduin river valley--from its headwaters to at least the falls at Rauros, maybe down to Osgiliath--to put in my pack.

WoodCraft:
While I'm generally pretty good on my identifying and harvesting fruiting and starchy types plants, I need to bone up on wild greens for salad--something beyond young dandelion! I also intend to get more familiar with identifying animal tracks; towards this end I spent the morning sketching in footprints into my 'field notebook'.
I'd also like to get away from using charcloth and try charred wood or fungus instead.

Dunedain Culture:
Hrmmm. I'm really drawing a blank on this one. If I can get some final bits of my kit finished, I'm kicking around the idea of doing some how-to videos on Middle-earth-y/historic lifeway skills...possibly as a Beorning? I dunno, I'm not sure I'm ready to make the leap to youtube personality just yet ; )
Personae: Aistan son of Ansteig, common Beorning of Wilderland; Tungo Brandybuck, Eastfarthing Bounder, 3018 TA; a native Man of the Greyflood, c.850 SA
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

Well, shoot! I've got to make some changes this year. The doctor says so. So here goes something. I may have to add to it to complete the list. We'll see.

WMA/NMA: Not going to happen in this area. But I am going to have to start exercising. A goal I had as a teenager was to get my black belt in Goju Shorin. Goju Shorin isn't offered in this area anymore. But other martial arts are. I am on the hunt for one that will actually teach me a martial art and not how to win a tournament. Stay tuned.

Crafts and Skills:
Improve my bladesmithing/making and leather working skills.

Woodcraft:
Anything will be an improvement. Not sure where to even start.

Dunedain Culture:
Rebuild my kit as it is in a shambles at the moment.
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.
BrianGrubbs
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by BrianGrubbs »

What a great idea! I think I'll have to jump on board as well.

WMA/NMA: I have two things in this area. First will be fitting some weapons training into my morning workout. I always carry a tomahawk with me in the field as well as a long knife, so that is what I will be training with. I would love to incorporate some sword work, but until I own a functional European sword of some kind there doesn't seem to be much point. Secondly, I have let my archery fall off of late. I used to be very active in the local traditional archery group, but things (kids) happened and I haven't had time. So this year I want to introduce my daughter to archery and get back to shooting more regularly.

Crafts and Skills: also archery related. I have lots of feathers sitting around that need to be put on arrows. My goal for this year is to make a set of arrows, some broad head and some target points. I'll be making all the points as well.

Woodcraft: simple, start camping again. It's been too long, and I need to get back in the woods.

Dunedain Culture: I have been planning for the last year or so a series of videos for my YouTube channel on being a M.E. Ranger. I have over twenty videos already planned out, with the research done. This year, I will start filming them.

There, those are my goals! I look forward to working on them, and watching others work on theirs

Brian G.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.