Winter Camping

For all of the Talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Brownno
Dúnadan

Winter Camping

Post by Brownno »

So I went camping two weekends ago in northern Wisconsin. I was camping with to of my other buddies in modern gamer since it got down to -16 degrees. But we built a quinzhee which was a pile of snow that we dug out. It was really cool especially at night with our candle lighting the inside up.
The mountains are calling and I must go.
The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness.
Keep close to Nature's heart... and break clear away, once in awhile, and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods. Wash your spirit clean.
wulfgar
Amrod Rhandir

Re: Winter Camping

Post by wulfgar »

Very cool! I have never slept in a quinzee or igloo, but we used to do an annual snow camp in our wall tent. We would stomp the snow down to pack it into a floor and set up the tent. We had a woodstove inside so it was pretty comfortable. I have been much colder camping in the rain versus snow,,I'll take snow over rain any day.
You can't take the sky from me.
Brownno
Dúnadan

Post by Brownno »

Wulfgar I love camping in a wall tent since my dad used to take me camping like that a lot in the winter it was amazing. I'd take snow over rain any day too.
Keep close to Nature's heart... and break clear away, once in awhile, and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods. Wash your spirit clean.
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

Very cool!

I did a night in a snow cave in Idaho mountains once upon a time - the biggest surprise was how soaked we got digging the darn things!
That could have been dangerous in more survival circumstances, I imagine. Did you have a similar issue, and if so how did you deal with it?

My memory is that we dug ours a bit too big, which made it a bit difficult for the lone candle to heat much. How big were yours?
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Brownno
Dúnadan

Post by Brownno »

Elleth wrote:Very cool!

I did a night in a snow cave in Idaho mountains once upon a time - the biggest surprise was how soaked we got digging the darn things!
That could have been dangerous in more survival circumstances, I imagine. Did you have a similar issue, and if so how did you deal with it?

My memory is that we dug ours a bit too big, which made it a bit difficult for the lone candle to heat much. How big were yours?
We didn't get too wet but we did get a little damp but we had dry clothes to change into. and we made it big enough for three skinny teen boys so it was about 5 feet long by about 4 feet wide. We were definitely cuddling in it because it wasn't super big. But we did have enough room to sit up in it.
Kortoso
Haeropada

Post by Kortoso »

What do you know, it's a real word: Quinzhee
There are no safe paths in this part of the world. Remember you are over the Edge of the Wild now, and in for all sorts of fun wherever you go.
Brownno
Dúnadan

Post by Brownno »

Kortoso wrote:What do you know, it's a real word: Quinzhee
Haha yep it is a great word for it I think.
SierraStrider
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by SierraStrider »

I've slept out in the snow in modern kit a few times. Bombed out on my most recent trip, but I hope to have a successful overnight sometime very soon.

Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

Hunh... so better too big than too small it sounds like. That must have been a "fun" midnight hike out.

Kudos for sticking to it after that! Next time for sure. :)
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
SierraStrider
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by SierraStrider »

Elleth wrote:That must have been a "fun" midnight hike out.
Hiking in the snow by moonlight is actually really, really cool. It's funny how such a cool and unique experience only happens due to screwing up.