Tick Encounter Resource Center

For all of the Talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Harper
Haeropada

Tick Encounter Resource Center

Post by Harper »

Here is a website that is run by the University of Rhode Island regarding ticks and tick activity by region in the US:

http://www.tickencounter.org/

http://www.tickencounter.org/current_tick_activity

I found this on another website and am posting it here as a public service for all those who range in the woods.
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Re: Tick Encounter Resource Center

Post by Elleth »

We live in deer tick / Lyme central, and all summer long have to double check every evening to make certain we've not picked any up. Nasty things.

The nice thing is that the tick has to stay attached for a while before Lyme is likely to take hold. Also for those that don't know: a crash dose of doxycycline after exposure will help prevent Lyme from getting a foothold in your body. Thank goodness for modern medicine.

http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NE ... 7123450201
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

That's the biggest thing I gave up by leaving the west coast. The western fence lizard.

Little buggers have an enzyme in their blood that kills Lyme disease. Tick bites lizard, lizard kills disease, few hundred years pass, natural selection kicks in, and the west coast is virtually Lyme disease free.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Harper
Haeropada

Post by Harper »

Greg wrote:That's the biggest thing I gave up by leaving the west coast. The western fence lizard.

Little buggers have an enzyme in their blood that kills Lyme disease. Tick bites lizard, lizard kills disease, few hundred years pass, natural selection kicks in, and the west coast is virtually Lyme disease free.
I'm glad you don't have to deal with it.

If you research the history of Lymes, you'll find out that it's origins are not natural. It goes back to the Nazis in WW II. It is named after the town in CT where the facility was located that they sent the returning GIs infected with the disease to recuperate. If I remember correctly, Lymes is essentially a weaponized form of syphilis that uses ticks as the vector for transmission.

Sometimes history is stranger than fiction. If you have an interest, check it out. There is a lot more to that story. You'll be surprised.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Let's poll the members: How many of you have had Lymes ?

I got it once 30 years ago. Ignored the symptoms until I got Bell's Palsey and the entire left side of my face went numb. I had to take two intermuscular shots a day for tthree weeks.
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

A couple years ago I had the first stages after a bite: flu like malaise, aches, rash (not yet bullseye)- got it treated quickly and no problems since. Whether it was a false alarm or a real infection nipped in the bud I don't know.

But I'm extra cautious about the buggers now.
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Harper
Haeropada

Post by Harper »

The following information is presented for educational purposes. It is not meant to diagnose, prescribe, treat, heal, cure, etc. Consult a physician for medical problems.

It's a damn shame I feel it necessary to even say this.
I wrote this post for another forum last Fall. I thought that I would repost it here (with minor revisions) since it it germane to this topic. The thread I make reference to is entitled "Spices That Can Serve Multiple Purposes" from bushcraftusa.com. I've written quite a bit there on many of the herbs/spices listed below. If there is sufficient interest, I was thinking about posting some of that material here and maybe dual posting new posts. The thing is that some of those herbs might not be found in northwestern ME. Many I think could be grown in Gondor or obtained through trade there from further south. Let me know.

Now, onto that post...

A friend of mine from the gym came up to me and told me he was using Oil of Oregano. I thought that I would share the story because he was using some of the things we spoke about in this thread. It is anecdotal, but I think many here will find it interesting since many Bushcrafters have contracted this disease.

Long before I knew him, he contracted Lymes. There was no rash and the doctors mis-diagnosed it. By the time they realized he had it, he had it bad. He was one of those people you read about with the port put into his arm so he could take high doses of i.v. antibiotics daily. Eventually, the Lymes went into remission. Like many, he still gets flare-ups. As a result, he has a real interest in alternative health. I told him about a close family member of mine who also had it bad. When he heard about some of my background, we got to talking.

He recently experienced a flare-up. Remembering some of the things we had talked about, he went to a local health food store and got some Oil of Oregano. When he told me, I was delightfully surprised. He was apprehensive and he really didn't use the Oil of Oregano as aggressively as he should have. But even with the way he used it, he said he was feeling better in less than two days. I really like hearing stories like this.

He was also taking a high quality multi-vitamin and drinking Red Raspberry Leaf tea with local honey on a daily basis. The flare-up likely happened because he was running himself down with work and certain personal issues. These things had been going on for an extended period of time. So we talked about his success with the Oil of Oregano and went over some things he could do as well. What follows is a summary of that discussion.

Ways to Help Prevent and/or Mitigate Flare-ups Due to Lyme Disease (and Co-infections):

1. Take a high quality multi-vitamin daily. Most of the ones you buy in the supermarket aren't properly absorbed by the body. The best that I have found are these: http://healthmasters.com/products/ultim ... le-wo-iron It works out to about a dollar a day.

2. Drink red Raspberry Leaf tea (with honey, if possible) daily.

3. Take a daily tonic dose of (diluted) Oil of Oregano.

4. Take a daily dose of Vitamin D-3 to boost immunity. I go up to 6,000 i.u. a day in the winter. You also need to take vitamin K-2 with it to prevent hardening of the arteries.

5. Take Turmeric. If you are reading this, you should be taking Turmeric daily--for many, many, many reasons. With respect to Lymes, it reduces inflammation and helps protect the cells.

6. Take Vitamin B-Complex. It helps to support cellular function, fight infections and improves neurological health. Vitamin B-6 is especially important for dealing with Lymes.

7. Use a good Omega 3 Oil like Flax or Hemp Seed (I would avoid fish oils) daily.The one that I personally use is Black (Cumin) Seed Oil which is also a powerful cancer fighter. These oils are highly anti-inflammatory and support both cellular and neurological function. It will help a lot with joint pain.

8. Take Astragalus Root. This herb calms, yet strengthens, the body's immune response. It is not recommended for those currently experiencing late-stage Lyme Disease. After the disease is in remission, then it can be used as a preventative.

9. Take Magnesium. Lymes has been shown to deplete magnesium from the body. It supports the functioning of both the skeletal and central nervous systems. Magnesium is also important for the repair of all bodily cells in general. It will help with jumpy muscles and spasms.

10. Try to get adequate sleep. It is a natural healer.

Of all of these--and they are all important--I think the critical thing is(diluted) Oil of Oregano.
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Harper wrote:
Greg wrote:That's the biggest thing I gave up by leaving the west coast. The western fence lizard.

Wish I didn't. I'm in Indiana now...
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
robinhoodsghost
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by robinhoodsghost »

I work as a Staking Technician for a local electric utility, designing power lines and staking pole locations and the like.
A large portion of my time is spent outside and it seems ticks here in Kentucky have gotten, much worse over the last few years. Luckily I have not had to deal with Lyme, but it is always a worry. I find ticks stuck all the time...Thanks for the info Rangers.
In the darkest part of Sherwoods glade, in the thickest part of the wood, there are those who say, can still be seen, the ghost of Robin Hood.
Harper
Haeropada

Post by Harper »

-

Here is a new article on ticks and meat allergies:

https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... -the-world
Kortoso
Haeropada

Post by Kortoso »

Harper wrote:

If you research the history of Lymes, you'll find out that it's origins are not natural. It goes back to the Nazis in WW II. It is named after the town in CT where the facility was located that they sent the returning GIs infected with the disease to recuperate. If I remember correctly, Lymes is essentially a weaponized form of syphilis that uses ticks as the vector for transmission.

Sometimes history is stranger than fiction. If you have an interest, check it out. There is a lot more to that story. You'll be surprised.
Sounds like an urban myth to me.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lyme_disease#History

A dear friend of mine nearly died from it. :(
There are no safe paths in this part of the world. Remember you are over the Edge of the Wild now, and in for all sorts of fun wherever you go.
Harper
Haeropada

Post by Harper »

Kortoso wrote:
Harper wrote:

A family member and other friends here.

Since you have an interest, look into the background of the Nazi, Dr. Erich Traub.
Taurinor
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Taurinor »

Harper wrote:
Kortoso wrote:
Harper wrote:

Since you have an interest, look into the background of the Nazi, Dr. Erich Traub.
Genetic studies of Otzi the Iceman found that he was infected with Lyme.
- Ned Houndswood, Breelander
Richmond Fantasy-Inspired Hiking and Camping (on WordPress and Facebook)
Harper
Haeropada

Post by Harper »

Taurinor wrote:
Harper wrote:
Kortoso wrote:

That doesn't mean it wasn't weaponized.
Taurinor
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Taurinor »

Harper wrote:
Taurinor wrote:
Harper wrote:

That doesn't mean it wasn't weaponized.
It could have been weaponized, but its origin predates the Nazis and it has been infecting humans since long before we had the technology to intentionally alter it, which I would describe as a natural origin.
- Ned Houndswood, Breelander
Richmond Fantasy-Inspired Hiking and Camping (on WordPress and Facebook)