2016 Yuletide Gift Exchange

For all of the Talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Taurinor
Amrod Rhandir

Re: 2016 Yuletide Gift Exchange

Post by Taurinor »

Greg wrote:Had the pleasure of opening a lovely package from Taurinor. Many thanks to him for graciously accepting the task of being randomly assigned to the person who passed out the assignments. To avoid too much awkwardness, I asked another member to message him my name and address, but it still must've felt a little odd.
Greg wrote:In addition, I found a sizeable stack of linen and wool scraps, as either leftover yardage or straight-from-the-thrift-store, which was very exciting. Already have one soaking in the walnut dye outside!

Taurinor, thanks a million. They're lovely, and will definitely be put to good use.
I'm so glad you liked them! Between the smells of the horn, antler, my cat, my dog, and the thrift store fabrics, I wasn't surprised to see your dog was interested! I didn't find it awkward; to be honest, I was more worried about crafting something that matched the quality of the rest of your gear. That, and following Ringulf, who I knew was your secret Ranger Santa last year.

Speaking of Ringulf...

I received a package from him!

All packages must be first be examined via cat scan (har har).

The first thing I retrieved was a lovely handwritten note -

The seal was very cool!

I was able to peel the seal off of the letter without having to break it (which I'm quite proud of), but it would have been much easier if I had had some sort of letter opener...

Well, that would have done it!

Needless to say, I love it. In his letter, Ringulf described it as a "Dwarven Hearthblade, from Erebor or the Iron Hills. Most likely from a Ram Rider." It's a cold steel machete cut down to resemble Ori's blade from the Hobbit movies, and it has a wonderful feel to it. It's got some heft to it, but the heavy pommel makes the blade feel lively in the hand. It's a blade that wants to be used. While it would make a formidable weapon, the geometry of it looks more like a tool, to my eye, which fits my impression well. The scabbard is wonderful leatherwork, as well.

Speaking of leatherwork...

This pouch is one of the first Ringulf made for his dwarf persona - it used to have his Ranger star on it. He removed that and covered the flap with green suede, which gives it a very ranger-y feel to it, but I also get a great deal of joy flipping the flap up and seeing the hole where the star was. The fact that it's a "hand me down" (and I use the phrase fondly) makes it more special to me. It now has my fire-making kit in it, but before I could put my flint and steel in, I had to take a couple things out!

This is a Kumahimo belt, made by a member of Ringulf's local SCA shire, which means I can tell people it came "from the shire" and be telling the truth! I had to look Kumahimo up - it is evidently a style of Japanese braiding. The colors are lovely and natural looking, and I really like the pop of blue. Greens and browns may be the standard colors for rangers, but a little bit of another color occasionally adds a nice touch.

The last item is a Viking-style wire woven necklace from Brandywyn. I'm pretty sure wire weaving is magic, and it's just beautiful.

I was able to talk my wife into taking a few pictures of Ringulf's gifts incorporated with my other gear, and they look like they were made to go together.

The pouch:

The blade and belt:

The necklace:

It's all amazing, and I can't thank Ringulf enough for his generosity. He also included a story to go with the gifts that he invited me to share, so I have posted it here.

Last edited by Taurinor on Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Ned Houndswood, Breelander
Richmond Fantasy-Inspired Hiking and Camping (on WordPress and Facebook)
Farodel
Dúnadan

Post by Farodel »

Eric C wrote: That's... a NICE little knife! I've been wanting to make a puuko for a while. I'll have to break down and do it this coming year. Farodel, could you tell us a little about its making?
For perfect clarity, I did NOT forge the blade. Unfortunately I had to leave my charcoal forge behind when I moved to Pittsburgh this year. The blade is from Ragweed, which a couple of folks had shared here and on the Facebook page and I wanted to try out.

That said, the rest of its construction may seem really simple, but it was something I hadn't done much of so it still proved challenging. As Caedmon said, I've made a pair of them (mine is not quite finished yet), partly in case I messed one up, but also because I love the idea of us ranger folk having little things in our kit that tie us together over great distances.

My original plan (acid etching and a sheath) proved too ambitious for the time I had in my workshop back home, but I am glad that I could get SOMETHING out the door on time. Who knew shipping to Alaska could be so quick??
"Few now remember them, yet still some go wandering, sons of forgotten kings walking in loneliness, guarding from evil things folk that are heedless."
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Fitting in with your kit might have actually been an understatement, Taurinor. Those colors are darned near spot-on!

Nice work as always, Scott. Very thoughtful.

Farodel, your gift was more than sufficient because you gave him more than just a knife...you gave him a new project! :x
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

Oh my gosh, those are gorgeous! Very cool. :)
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

Farodel wrote:
Eric C wrote: That's... a NICE little knife! I've been wanting to make a puuko for a while. I'll have to break down and do it this coming year. Farodel, could you tell us a little about its making?
For perfect clarity, I did NOT forge the blade. Unfortunately I had to leave my charcoal forge behind when I moved to Pittsburgh this year. The blade is from Ragweed, which a couple of folks had shared here and on the Facebook page and I wanted to try out.

That said, the rest of its construction may seem really simple, but it was something I hadn't done much of so it still proved challenging. As Caedmon said, I've made a pair of them (mine is not quite finished yet), partly in case I messed one up, but also because I love the idea of us ranger folk having little things in our kit that tie us together over great distances.

My original plan (acid etching and a sheath) proved too ambitious for the time I had in my workshop back home, but I am glad that I could get SOMETHING out the door on time. Who knew shipping to Alaska could be so quick??
I would feel the loss of a forge deeply. For me, I'm discovering that it is a medicine for my soul. I hope you will be reunited with it permanently soon.

Sometimes the seemingly simplest things blow our minds. But as rangers and as craftsmen, we back away, look at it, play it through our minds and come at it with a fresh view. There are things I wanted to do to Ringulf's knife too, but I simply didn't have time.

Regardless, it is a special gift you have given. I am sure Caedmon will get many fond years of service from it.
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.
Farodel
Dúnadan

Post by Farodel »

I HAVE arrived at the location of my gift, and I LOVE IT, but I'm afraid I don't know who sent it to me! I want to post pictures, but I'd like to know who to thank/credit for it's creation.
"Few now remember them, yet still some go wandering, sons of forgotten kings walking in loneliness, guarding from evil things folk that are heedless."
Greg

Post by Greg »

G = Me.png
G = Me.png (5.02 KiB) Viewed 14925 times
Cheers! Sorry for the lack of a letter. As for the vague return address, that's just a habit I've gotten into.
Farodel
Dúnadan

Post by Farodel »

Greg wrote:G = Me.png

Cheers! Sorry for the lack of a letter. As for the vague return address, that's just a habit I've gotten into.
Haha, fantastic Greg! My background is in Viking reenactment, in which it's the F rune fehu. I didn't think to check the proper Tolkien rune (not memorized all of Tolkien's alphabets yet, to my shame).

I can't thank you enough for your gift! It really fills in so many essentials I was lacking. I will post a set of photos as soon as I can.
Greg

Post by Greg »

The rune I burned into that-which-you-haven't-mentioned yet, which resembles a pointy backwards 'P', is the F in Tolkien's alphabet...which assumed that Farodel was a name you intended to use beyond the forum.
Farodel
Dúnadan

Post by Farodel »

Alright, got a chance to lay it out and snap some pics. Apologies in advance for lighting/quality. Unfortunately didn't get a photo of the wrapping, which was classic brown paper and twine. Very classy.

Inside, I find a bag that has a bit of heft to it. No way this is a single item.

Inside is some extra rope, along with a hand sewn pouch and a carved wooden spoon.

As Greg said, the rune carved in the handle is the letter F. For Farodel, naturally! Very well made.

The pouch, of course, is absolutely full. A complete fire starting kit, a little sewing kit, and even a homemade candle! All laid out, it's a great many gifts, and I am overwhelmed with gratitude.

The striker alone would have been enough!

Or the sewing kit, for that matter.

Greg really went above and beyond with filling out my kit with rangerly necessities, and I may never stop repeating my thanks. This has been a very merry Yule indeed, and seeing all that's been exchanged truly fills me with love and adoration for this little guild of ours. This is my first full year here, but I feel quite at home on these text fields of green, among my fellow rangers. Cheers, all.
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

This is a Kumahimo belt, made by a member of Ringulf's local SCA shire, which means I can tell people it came "from the shire" and be telling the truth! I had to look Kumahimo up - it is evidently a style of Japanese braiding. The colors are lovely and natural looking, and I really like the pop of blue. Greens and browns may be the standard colors for rangers, but a little bit of another color occasionally adds a nice touch.
BTW I just realized as I was reading Brandwyn's post about Yavion's gift that I mixed up my processes on the making of Elliot's Belt. Wanda does do Kumahimo but this one and Yavion's as well as many of the ones I own, are made on an Inkle Loom which are period medieval looms that stretch all the way back to Egyptian times. Sorry 'bout that but truthfully I get those two mixed up a lot. I will need to make a few of either myself and that way I'm sure I will remember! :mrgreen:
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

Farodel wrote:...

The striker alone would have been enough!

The beautiful thing about the fire striker, I made it. So if it doesn't strike properly for you, send me a PM and I'll fix it. Very nice haul. Any ranger would be happy to have those items in his kit.
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.
Greg

Post by Greg »

Farodel wrote:Suggestions: My kit is also undergoing a dramatic overhaul (upgrade), and I have room for literally any accessory or utility-type item. Anything made of natural elements (leather, fur, bone, antler), any basic survival kit pieces (knife, fishing, fire starting, etc.) ... Very open-ended. I'm impossible to disappoint.
I remember a time not too far in the past when my kit was very much where yours is. Looked cool, but I hadn’t gotten my hands on many of the functional bits I would eventually need. My goal was to put together what I wish, NOW, that I had gone after when I was there. Not what I actually bought or made (because heaven knows I don’t use most of what I acquired back then anymore), but what I wish I had had. Hope it helps!

The spoon was mine for a few years until I got my hands on a smaller boiler, which was way too small for this spoon. It was originaly carved for me by a friend, and is made of black walnut. I customized it a little for you, because everyone needs a spoon.

As for that bit of extra rope…
Farodel, re: Bota/Waterskin wrote:The red nylon rope I'll switch out for something more appropriate...
Hope that helps.

As for that sewing kit, those are the same needles and thread I use, between leather and fabric, for virtually everything. The blunt one is for pre-punched holes in leather, and the rest are for various fabrics. That thread is a heavily waxed 5-strand thread, which I unwind various amounts depending on what I’m working on. Heavy leather, I use the whole thing, oilcloth and wool, I pull out two or three strands and twist them back together. Linens, I pull out one and use it alone. So there’s a good deal more than however much thread I put in there, if you think about it. If the top on that little wooden carrier gets loose, take the back end of your candle and rub a little more wax on the neck as I’ve done and it’ll stay closed.

That pouch is based on Elleth’s Lasdhir, but made from a fantastic brown kersey/wool broadcloth I’ve been working with lately. It was actually patterned off of an Elleth original I have in my possession that’s linen, but this one I turned the slit/opening 90 degrees like this variant, just for fun. My wife discovered that, on a cold night, you can tuck most of the fingers of both hands into it as an emergency mitten of sorts, provided your hands are small enough. You may only be able to manage your thumbs *chuckle*, but it’s there anyway.

The fire kit and other stuff don’t necessarily have to be carried in this pouch…in fact, they’d probably be better suited to the pouch Taurinor gave you earlier this year. This pouch, when folded over the belt, makes a great quick pocket for collecting bits along the trail, etc., but you’ll figure out what’s best for you as time marches on.

Yes, that firesteel is an Eric C. original, but Eric is quite incorrect about what makes it special. The fact that you can trade it in if it doesn’t function may be nice elsewhere, but this one is special because it sparks more readily than the one I’ve been carrying for years. Good gracious.

Lastly, the linen tube it all came in is waiting on you!
Farodel wrote:I have a few more additions in the works, namely the quiver. More to come!
When that’s done and ready, give this thread a read, but use the quiver strap instead of a bedroll strap. I find that quite comfy, and no doubt by then you'll have plenty of other gear to stuff that snapsack with.

So glad you like it all. It was a pleasure to put together.
Farodel
Dúnadan

Post by Farodel »

It's even more incredible now! You really looked through my posts to find what I was missing. And I didn't even think about the rope for the waterskin! That'll be one of the projects I finish early in the new year. And the fire kit very well may go in Taurinor's pouch.

Eric C, I also appreciate having the hand of yet another ranger present in my kit. I hope to commission a little something from each of the willing craftsmen in the forum eventually.

I hope you all enjoy your holiday weekend. I certainly have already. Cheers!
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

ARGH. Here we are, almost at New Year's Eve, and I still haven't posted. I am so, so sorry - I either haven't had the time, or have been too distracted by something else at the moment to follow up.

Anyway, once again, I'm afraid I find myself without the time to do a proper write-up of my gift, which I did open several days ago, and was lovely. For right now, suffice it to say, my gift-er was Udwin, and he packaged up a lovely gift for me consisting of a small copper penannular brooch, a pair of woolen arm-warmers, and a lovely hand-written letter.

By a strange happenstance, the program Greg used to randomize the gifting process this year also happened to assign Udwin as my gift-ee (I feel comfortable sharing this now, as it is probably quite obvious by this point). SO... To Udwin, I have to offer my most sincere, humble apologies, because I still have not managed to pull myself together and finish your gift. To be completely honest, I probably should not have participated in this year's exchange at all, but I convinced myself I'd be able to get it together by Christmas - alas I was wrong. That being said, I PROMISE I will resume work on yours immediately and have it on its way to you as soon as possible. Again, I am so sorry, and I really owe you one for the future. I hope you will forgive my blunder and let me make it up to you.
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains