2016 Yuletide Gift Exchange

For all of the Talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Re: 2016 Yuletide Gift Exchange

Post by Greg »

Had the pleasure of opening a lovely package from Taurinor. Many thanks to him for graciously accepting the task of being randomly assigned to the person who passed out the assignments. To avoid too much awkwardness, I asked another member to message him my name and address, but it still must've felt a little odd.

At any rate, upon opening his package, I was greeted with a lovely little parchment letter sealed in wax, containing some details on the making of my gift, as well as information regarding the origins of some of the materials.

The letter instructed me to seek out the "grey bundle", which I did, and I was greeted with these two lovely little numbers.
IMG_9293.JPG
IMG_9293.JPG (160.54 KiB) Viewed 13554 times
IMG_9294.JPG
IMG_9294.JPG (160.89 KiB) Viewed 13554 times
IMG_9295.JPG
IMG_9295.JPG (168.15 KiB) Viewed 13554 times
I had mentioned being in need of a salt box, and boy did he deliver. The smaller is antler with wood stopper and plugs, and the larger, which is quite a bit bigger than it looks, is horn. The smaller one already has salt in it, and the larger I'm considering using as a tobacco tote, given that my local source shreds its leaf into rather fine crumbles, which I don't think would fight the size of the hole much.

In addition, I found a sizeable stack of linen and wool scraps, as either leftover yardage or straight-from-the-thrift-store, which was very exciting. Already have one soaking in the walnut dye outside!

Taurinor, thanks a million. They're lovely, and will definitely be put to good use.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Brandwyn
Wanderer

Post by Brandwyn »

That is very fine craftmanship from what I can see here in the pics! Great work!

As soon as I get a break from frenzied holiday cleaning cuz the in-laws are arriving at any time - I will download and post the pics of our gifts.

Thank you to Caedmon for the awesome forged spoons and handmade wool herb/dry goods bag with the embroidered horse design. I love it and you did an awesome job. Posting pics soon.

Brandwyn
Brandwyn
"They are dangerous at both ends, and - crafty - in the middle." Sherlock Holmes, A Game of Shadows (Robert Downey Jr. in character on the subject of Horses)
Straelbora
Haeropada

Post by Straelbora »

Elleth wrote:Woo! Congratulations on the rescue!

*so* itching to get to the post office tomorrow! This is fun! :)
Your wonderful gift arrived today. Blew my socks off! And how's this: I'm 3/4 Polish!

Thanks- It will have a treasured place on the wall of the Inn.
Vápnum sínum skala maðr velli á
feti ganga framar því at óvist er at vita
nær verðr á vegum úti geirs um þörf guma
Hávamál
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

I'm planning to get some pics of my kit tomorrow with all of the new additions.
But for this thread, Straelbora made me a ranger fanny pack! It will be a very appreciated addition to my kit as it is only the second carrier/bag I have for the outfit. He left the dye up to me. If the wife can talk her sister into stopping by Tandy Leather tomorrow, she will grab some brown dye for me.

Question: Are the makers going to explain their design considerations and processes as their particular contributions are posted? I like that touch and I would like to explain mine as well. We may have lost the video for it. :x
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

Oh these are looking nice!

This was Straelbora's gift:
illumination.jpg
illumination.jpg (63.8 KiB) Viewed 13526 times
It's a part of the tale of Earendil the Mariner, and his battle with the gigantic dragon Ancalagon the Black in the first age.
The text is from a Polish Tolkien fan, who compiled a wonderful telling in Quenya
http://www.elendilion.pl/2014/08/16/the ... erdzinski/

The work is done on real vellum with illumination in gold and silver.
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Udwin
Vendor

Post by Udwin »

Everybody's goodies and writeups are looking great so far, folks! I can't get over how you guys keep upping the ante every year!
Personae: Aistan son of Ansteig, common Beorning of Wilderland; Tungo Brandybuck, Eastfarthing Bounder, 3018 TA; a native Man of the Greyflood, c.850 SA
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

I need to start by saying that I have been doubly blessed this year as the maker of my wife's items also sent me a surprise! Caedmon sent me the Axe of Erebor, which he has put up on the forum before and I will also put a picture up of it too as soon as I can.
It is beautifully done and I am just ecstatic about the fact that the Varangian Raven is depicted with Tolkien's Erebor as seen on Thorin's map on one side and a remarkable rendition of Smaug as designed by Prof. Tolkien on the other. Not only does this represent the very essence of the Lonely Mountain, it is like a cross cultural "Rosetta Stone" for me, as Ringulf has a foot in two worlds. I play a Varangian persona in the SCA and of course a Khazad from Erebor here. The handle is also carved in a very Dwarven design that feels great in my hand and is very strong. The semi rectangular cross section of the haft keeps it from rolling when a strike is made and also gives an excellent blade reference without ever looking at the axe or thinking about it's edge orientation. Thank you Caedmon for this lovely piece, I will treasure it and keep it with me whenever Ringulf is about in any world! :mrgreen:

The second blessing is from my Brother Ranger Eric C.
He made a beautiful and very practical belt knife for me which each time I look at( which is constantly for the last two days) shows me something totally new and significant about knife making in general and makes me respect anew the deep level of skill and commitment this artisan uses in his blades.
I will spend some time tomorrow taking and posting some pics but I could no longer contain my thanks and excitement !

Thanks to both of you gentlemen and please do share about the crafting processes of your work! like I mentioned before, "It is wonderful to reach a destination, but the journey of how you got there is the real story!" :mrgreen: :D
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Straelbora
Haeropada

Post by Straelbora »

Elleth wrote:Oh these are looking nice!

This was Straelbora's gift:
illumination.jpg

It's a part of the tale of Earendil the Mariner, and his battle with the gigantic dragon Ancalagon the Black in the first age.
The text is from a Polish Tolkien fan, who compiled a wonderful telling in Quenya
http://www.elendilion.pl/2014/08/16/the ... erdzinski/

The work is done on real vellum with illumination in gold and silver.
It's already in a frame- now I just need to put in the wall for it to hang from.

I wanted a frame that looked a bit weathered, so I stopped by the Goodwill store. My son found a Pikachu toy and the young woman at the cash register obviously knew here pokemon in talking to him about it. I asked if she was also a "Lord of the Rings" fan, and she said she was. I showed her the page, and she said, "Now I'm bummed- I know I won't get anything that cool for Christmas."
Hávamál
Straelbora
Haeropada

Post by Straelbora »

Eric C wrote:I'm planning to get some pics of my kit tomorrow with all of the new additions.
But for this thread, Straelbora made me a ranger fanny pack! It will be a very appreciated addition to my kit as it is only the second carrier/bag I have for the outfit. He left the dye up to me. If the wife can talk her sister into stopping by Tandy Leather tomorrow, she will grab some brown dye for me.

Question: Are the makers going to explain their design considerations and processes as their particular contributions are posted? I like that touch and I would like to explain mine as well. We may have lost the video for it. :x
Here's a couple of pics I took. I've never tried anything like this before, and my amateurish sewing skills show. As I told Eric- he may need to find someone with smaller hands to reassemble it.
Attachments
Pack back resized.jpg
Pack back resized.jpg (148.36 KiB) Viewed 13511 times
Pack front resized.jpg
Pack front resized.jpg (152.24 KiB) Viewed 13511 times
Hávamál
caedmon
Balku'npâ

Post by caedmon »

I received this really nice Puukko from Farodel. Its a twin of one he's keeping, and has an elvish inscription on it that I haven't translated yet. I guess I know what my next sheath will be.

Rather awesome because, I've wanted a Puukko for a while.
2016-12-21 19.41.35.jpg
2016-12-21 19.41.35.jpg (221.07 KiB) Viewed 13504 times
-Jack Horner

----------------------------
Impression: Cædmon Reedmace | bronze founder living in Archet, Breeland. c. 3017
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

Ringulf wrote: The second blessing is from my Brother Ranger Eric C.
He made a beautiful and very practical belt knife for me which each time I look at( which is constantly for the last two days) shows me something totally new and significant about knife making in general and makes me respect anew the deep level of skill and commitment this artisan uses in his blades.
I will spend some time tomorrow taking and posting some pics but I could no longer contain my thanks and excitement !

Thanks to both of you gentlemen and please do share about the crafting processes of your work! like I mentioned before, "It is wonderful to reach a destination, but the journey of how you got there is the real story!" :mrgreen: :D

I am humbled by your praise. I wish I could find the video I shot of the making of the blade. There is a level of excitement about making a gift for someone who doesn't even know he or she is your recipient. I want the gift to be as perfect as I can make it while remembering I'm working within a time frame.
Straelbora wrote:
Eric C wrote: Here's a couple of pics I took. I've never tried anything like this before, and my amateurish sewing skills show. As I told Eric- he may need to find someone with smaller hands to reassemble it.
I greatly appreciate the gift. I'm sure the stitching will be okay. But if anything does give way, it will be the stitching and not the leather so it will be easy enough to fix. That would only serve to add character also as a ranger had to do his own field repairs.
caedmon wrote:I received this really nice Puukko from Farodel. Its a twin of one he's keeping, and has an elvish inscription on it that I haven't translated yet. I guess I know what my next sheath will be.

Rather awesome because, I've wanted a Puukko for a while.
2016-12-21 19.41.35.jpg
That's... a NICE little knife! I've been wanting to make a puuko for a while. I'll have to break down and do it this coming year. Farodel, could you tell us a little about its making?
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.
Greg

Post by Greg »

Great stuff here, folks!

Straelbora, that's a good deal better than a lot of my early projects. That loop of leather under the antler button has me intrigued...is this an axe loop, or does it have some other purpose? Can't wait to see what Eric does to dress it up!
Eric C. wrote:Question: Are the makers going to explain their design considerations and processes as their particular contributions are posted? I like that touch and I would like to explain mine as well. We may have lost the video for it. :x
Absolutely! I actually failed to include a letter explaining anything to my actual recipient, so I have to do double-duty!
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

Greg wrote: Absolutely! I actually failed to include a letter explaining anything to my actual recipient, so I have to do double-duty!
Yeah, me too. I got pushed for time and forgot to include a letter. Worse yet, I forgot to put my maker's mark on the blade. :oops:
Straelbora
Haeropada

Post by Straelbora »

Greg wrote:Great stuff here, folks!

Straelbora, that's a good deal better than a lot of my early projects. That loop of leather under the antler button has me intrigued...is this an axe loop, or does it have some other purpose? Can't wait to see what Eric does to dress it up!
Eric C. wrote:Question: Are the makers going to explain their design considerations and processes as their particular contributions are posted? I like that touch and I would like to explain mine as well. We may have lost the video for it. :x
Absolutely! I actually failed to include a letter explaining anything to my actual recipient, so I have to do double-duty!
When I first made the holes for the button and closing strap, I realized that I did them too low. so I made two more holes higher for the strap, and decided to add the loop on the bottom so that there weren't two holes in the pack. I figured it could be used to hand stuff from the pack while wearing, or if the pack is strapped to a tree at camp, one could hang something from it.
Hávamál
Greg

Post by Greg »

I dig it!