Ranger of the Year Nominations

For all of the Talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Ranger of the Year Nominations

Post by Peter Remling »

It's that time of the year again when we gather together to
pick the member who exemplifies the spirit of the forum.

Please respond with your nominations before 12/31.
On the first of the New Year, I'll post a poll in which all
the members can vote for those nominated. You will have a
week to cast your vote.

For those of you who were here last year, you might remember
we gave out the last "Rangy" so this year we (Elleth and I) decided to go with
something a little different.

The winner will have his/her choice of either a steel star brooch as in the picture:

or they can give us an idea of somethings general they need for their kit and we'll try to comply with
something they can use.
Attachments
stars.jpg
stars.jpg (37.22 KiB) Viewed 12756 times
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Re: Ranger of the Year Nominations

Post by Ringulf »

Pete, a list of the previous winners would let us know who would be eligible for the award. It also is nice to see our previous winners together. :mrgreen:
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Ringulf wrote:Pete, a list of the previous winners would let us know who would be eligible for the award. It also is nice to see our previous winners together. :mrgreen:

First, everyone's eligible. It's based on contributions to the forum. We have in the recent past made an effort not to pick the previous year's winner but it's not set in stonre. It's up to the voters.

I will list the previous winners. I believe this is complete and correct but I've been known to be wrong before (it was years ago and I was very tired).

Elleth- 2015
Udwin 2014
Eledhwen -2013
Ringulf- 2012
Greg- 2011
Greg - 2010
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

In that case I would like to nominate Taurinor for the award he has attended moots, done a lot of field work and has had great input on the forums. I truly respect his dedication and his research. His authenticity is right up there yet it is fresh and creative. :mrgreen:
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Ringulf wrote:In that case I would like to nominate Taurinor for the award he has attended moots, done a lot of field work and has had great input on the forums. I truly respect his dedication and his research. His authenticity is right up there yet it is fresh and creative. :mrgreen:
Seconded.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Farodel
Dúnadan

Post by Farodel »

I'd like to nominate Manveruon.

This is my first full year active on the forum, and thus my first time voting for a ROTY. All I can say is that throughout my first year here, I have seen his input in many a thread and Facebook post. Always positive, welcoming, and active. Beyond that, it seems there is constantly something of his popping up on my screen to provide inspiration. I think his efforts on Instagram and elsewhere will serve to expand the community, which is a very good thing indeed.

Cheers.
"Few now remember them, yet still some go wandering, sons of forgotten kings walking in loneliness, guarding from evil things folk that are heedless."
Taurinor
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Taurinor »

Thanks for the kind words, guys!

I'd like to nominate Erich MacKermak - he did a great job organizing the Southeast Ranger Moot, getting people to come (gathering rangers appears to be rather like herding cats), AND he's willing to do it all again next year!
- Ned Houndswood, Breelander
Richmond Fantasy-Inspired Hiking and Camping (on WordPress and Facebook)
Greg

Post by Greg »

Taurinor wrote:Gathering rangers appears to be rather like herding cats...
So true. Or perhaps chickens. Cats, unlike us, don't want to cooperate...but when you put food out (then and only then) the birds come running! *chuckle*
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Any more nominations ? You have two days left to nominate.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

I am extremely flattered by Farodel's nomination, and very sensible of the compliment. Personally, I do not believe I am deserving of such an honor this year, as my own participation in the forums has been extremely limited, erratic, and unreliable - and that's not even mentioning my absolutely abysmal failure to meet the deadline for this year's Yule gift exchange. I've been a bit of a wreck this year, but hey, maybe next year I'll be able to make up for it by completing a few of the goals I had originally set for 2016. Time will tell.

Regardless of my own shortcomings, however, I would like to nominate Udwin for the award. His essays on Tolkien scholarship have been fascinating and highly enlightening; also his efforts to get the "Into the Wild" publication off the ground have been inspiring, and have led to what I think is a truly top-notch e-zine about all things "Middle-Earth-Reenactment." I believe he is well deserving of such an honor this year.
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Farodel
Dúnadan

Post by Farodel »

Not precisely related to the nomination, but how would I go about acquiring one of those star brooches otherwise? I quite like the look of them. :)
"Few now remember them, yet still some go wandering, sons of forgotten kings walking in loneliness, guarding from evil things folk that are heedless."
Greg

Post by Greg »

Shoot E. Macermack a PM. They had they cast a few years back, in bronze and stainless. I think he has a few left still.