Any New Ranger Gear this Morning?

For all of the Talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Eric C
Vendor

Any New Ranger Gear this Morning?

Post by Eric C »

First: Merry Christmas everyone! I hope this day finds you healthy, happy and with loved ones.

Second: Did anybody get any new ranger gifts this morning? I didn't get anything for ranging per se, but I did get some items that will help greatly with blade making and leather work.

I do have to get out and get some pics of the nice things you, my brethren, have sent me and mine this year. Those pics will be coming later today.

Let's see what you've got!
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Re: Any New Ranger Gear this Morning?

Post by Elleth »

Oh yes! Well also for the most part not ranger-y per se, but some wonderful Middle Earth goodness! Let's see.. the WETA rendition of Thorin's map, a nice encyclopedia of all those names and places I forget and - ooh ooh! - the best spoken-word rendition of the Silmarillion I've ever heard. Martin Shaw's telling is sooo smooth and regal and Britishy, you can close your eyes and imagine you're hearing a bard of Eriador.
jennifer-christmas-2016.jpg
jennifer-christmas-2016.jpg (66 KiB) Viewed 15789 times
I also got a little leather journal with laid paper pages for trekking notes, an inkle loom for making straps on, and the cutest little copper lid for my small cooking cauldron.
Oh! And a little bit of precious metal clay for making a bit of elvish-styled jewelry.

So much fun!
After I get the demo piece done on the inkle loom I'll be weaving up a strap from nettle yarn for my waterskin.
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Yavion
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Yavion »

Last edited by Yavion on Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Techically no, and technically yes. I received a generous cash gift card of sorts from a family member, which was sent near immediately to Udwin as part of payment for something I've commissioned from him a week or so ago, which is much like getting gear for christmas.

I bought my wife a stunning copper TeaPot from Bob at Backwoods Tin that came just in time for Christmas...
IMG_9319.JPG
IMG_9319.JPG (152.21 KiB) Viewed 15771 times
...and piggy-backed on that order a custom (and rather large) "dwarvish" tin tinderbox with a damper for myself. So I bought myself gear for Christmas. No judging.
IMG_9320.JPG
IMG_9320.JPG (187 KiB) Viewed 15771 times
The Hobbit, 1960 Revision, New Chapter II – The Broken Bridge., where J.R.R. Tolkien wrote:They met or came up with a number of folk on lawful business: dwarves for the most part going east or west with packs on their backs. Some belonged to Thorin’s people of the western mountains, and they saluted him with a low bow; some were of poorer sort, pedlars(sic) of iron-ware, tinkers, or road-menders.
We have references for copperwares in the Shire, but the dwarves presumably likely to be dealing in such wares along the east road are not described as coppersmiths, though we often couple the two materials together, so I thought it best to stick with tin for this piece (though I don't begrudge Bob the copper rivet in the damper; it's a lovely accent and not at all un-plausible). When I first messaged him, Bob actually disputed my rectangular (non octagonal or oval) design request until I finally told him what "period" it is that I actually do, at which point I got no further arguments *chuckle*.

Can't wait to get brave enough to do some engraving!

Elleth, that's quite a haul! Eric, can't wait to see your new pics!
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

Very nice everyone! We've gotten pics of most of it, but I'll have to get a pic on one item later. As soon as I get the pics uploaded to photobucket, I'll post them here.
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.
Kortoso
Haeropada

Post by Kortoso »

I didn't get anything this Yule, but I gave a tunic to one of my group's premiere members, our lead tracker Ryan.
http://www.medievalcollectibles.com/p-1 ... tunic.aspx
And he looks "awesome" in it!
There are no safe paths in this part of the world. Remember you are over the Edge of the Wild now, and in for all sorts of fun wherever you go.
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

Kortoso wrote:I didn't get anything this Yule, but I gave a tunic to one of my group's premiere members, our lead tracker Ryan.
http://www.medievalcollectibles.com/p-1 ... tunic.aspx
And he looks "awesome" in it!
I'll bet! That's a fine looking tunic!
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

Hunh - I've been wondering about that tunic Kortoso. The collar construction looks fascinating.

Do you happen to recall if the collar is sewn to the body, or if it's all of a piece with the center panel? (If the latter, it's a really clever bit of tailoring!)
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

Also Greg - wow! That tin and copper work is fantastic!

Has your wife sat you down for a tea party yet? :)
Kortoso
Haeropada

Post by Kortoso »

Elleth wrote:Hunh - I've been wondering about that tunic Kortoso. The collar construction looks fascinating.

Do you happen to recall if the collar is sewn to the body, or if it's all of a piece with the center panel? (If the latter, it's a really clever bit of tailoring!)
Um, I'll get a closer look at it when I have a chance. It's certainly vaut le voyage though. :mrgreen:
There are no safe paths in this part of the world. Remember you are over the Edge of the Wild now, and in for all sorts of fun wherever you go.
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Elleth wrote:Also Greg - wow! That tin and copper work is fantastic!

Has your wife sat you down for a tea party yet? :)
Thanks, and yes. Or, rather, I forced her to sit down for a few and enjoy herself instead of chasing the kids.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.