Basic kit/"Getting started" list?

For all of the Talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Taurinor
Amrod Rhandir

Basic kit/"Getting started" list?

Post by Taurinor »

I apologize if this has been done already and I missed the topic...

My first serious foray into reenacting was assembling a Golden Age of Piracy sailor’s kit. Like a lot of folks, I was drawn in by a certain Disney franchise, and while it isn’t an era I focus on any more, it was through that community that I learned about things like extant examples, fiber content, and the dreaded phrase “period correct”. Needless to say, it made an impact, but what does that have to do with MERF?

One website I found while pursuing this interest was Gentlemen of Fortune (and I’m guessing a few other members of this forum are familiar with it), and while everything on that site is helpful, one thing that I found especially helpful was the list of Basic Clothing Items (or “What do I need to get started?”). Now, between running my local group and presenting/recruiting at small local Comic Cons, I’m getting fairly accustomed to the overwhelmed/panicked look I get from new folks when I start walking them through the gear used by myself and some of the more involved members, and while we can’t see them through the interwebs, I’m sure there are folks sitting at their computers making the same face as they click through some of the complete kits here. I thought it might be interesting to try to assemble a list similar to the one on the Gentleman of Fortune site.

This is sort of meant to go with Udwin’s Premium Advice for Newcomers (specifically 5: Build Your Outer Person (gearing up) ), but is in no way meant to replace “4. Research”! It’s also related to Greg’s First-time trekker’s list. The idea is to give someone completely new (and possibly overwhelmed) a place to start. It also assumes that this hypothetical new person has no gear whatsoever, even though it seems like a lot of folks find their way here through SCA, LARPing, reenacting, costuming, primitive camping, or other related pursuits and probably have some gear already.

An important note is that this lists physical gear, but obviously just acquiring these items does not prepare someone to go out and try try hand at being a Ranger. It also takes a set of skills, and this list is in no way intended to short-cut around that part. The fact that we actually go out and use our gear made this a little harder, I think; the GoF list was focused on how to look the part, while we try to look the part AND need the tools to play the part!

Here is my stab at it, but I would love to see what the rest of y’all would leave out/put in/swap the order of/etc.!

-

1. Shoes. Yeah, I know that shoes aren’t very exciting, but Rangers range, and if you want to go ranging, you need to think about your feet. Getting some footwear that is comfortable and looks the part is going to require investment, especially if you’re aiming for Strider’s “high boots of supple leather”, so I think it’s worth considering just ripping the band-aid off and getting some early in the process. If you happen to live near some like-minded folks, there’s a reasonable chance that someone will have a tunic or cloak to spare that you could borrow, but it’s less likely that someone will have a good pair of shoes in your size. Even if you decide to go for something a little less dramatic than tall boots (chukkas and winnigas make for a budget-friendly option that won’t draw focus), it’s worth thinking about shoes early on – you don’t want to be prepping for your first trek and find that the only shoes you have that won’t destroy your feet are your fluorescent gym sneakers.

2. Tunic. With decent shoes and a tunic, you can hide a lot of modern items that you may need to temporarily include in your “in progress” kit if you want to get out in it early on - modern pockets and base layers are easily covered up. Tunics are readily available online, but a tunic is also a great sewing project if you want to start making your own gear. There are tons of tutorials out there, and if you have access to a sewing machine, it can be done in an afternoon (my current record is 3 hours, but that was with an unfamiliar machine and no pattern for the neckline, so I’m pretty sure I can beat that). Most folks have a plain leather belt in their closet or dresser, and while it shouldn’t be a permanent part of your kit, it will serve to belt your tunic in the short term.

3. Cloak. Rangers are consistently described with cloaks, and it really is an archetypal part of the fantasy look. As with tunics, cloaks are pretty easy to find online, but are also relatively straightforward to make. A good wool cloak can also supplement a blanket in cold weather and stand in for one in warm weather.

4. Canteen. So once you have your shoes, tunic, and cloak that you can wear with a nondescript pair of modern pants and a belt, you are undoubtedly eager to get out in the woods! While you’ll need more gear for Ranger-style camping, day hikes are a great opportunity to test what you’ve put together so far and get comfortable in it. For both day hikes and longer treks, hydration is critical, and that’s why I’ve listed a canteen as the first piece of hard kit. Whether it’s a day on the trails or a day at the local Renaissance Faire, nothing spoils the look like a plastic water bottle. Elleth wrote up a great discussion on canteen options

5. Knife/axe/preferred cutting tool(s). You’re going to need to process wood out in the woods (at the very least), so get a small axe/hatchet/tomahawk and get comfortable with it before you head out. Some folks may prefer a large knife, or maybe even a folding saw, and there are many arguments about that on the internets, so I don’t want to start one here. Get a working blade that you think is best for you and practice with it.

6. Pouches. Once you start thinking about switching from day hikes to more extended treks, you’re going to need to think about carrying a lot of small pieces of gear. The pockets of the modern but nondescript pants you’re wearing are fine for your phone, keys, wallet, etc., but when camping , you’ll probably find yourself wanting to keep more things close to your person, and pouches are a good place for things like…

7. Flint and steel (fire-making kit). I’m sure some folks will disagree with this being earlier on this list than some of the later items (or maybe with it being on the list at all), and Tolkien does mention matches, but I think primitive fire-making is an important skill to work on. The sooner you get some flint and a striker and some charred material, the sooner you can start practicing!

8. Tarp. Longer treks require shelter, and tarps seem more Ranger-esque than tents. Oilskin makes for a lightweight tarp, but it’s expensive. Heavy-duty canvas tarps are treated to be water-resistant and flame-retardant, but they’re heavy. Canvas dropcloths are inexpensive, but usually require some additional work to make them more water-resistant. Depending on the tarp and set up, a ground cloth might also be necessary.

9. Blanket. A wool blanket could have been number 8, but I gave a tarp the edge because a cloak was number 3, and for warm nights a cloak may be sufficient. The tarp and blanket really go together, though.

10. Weapon(s). I already know this is going to start a debate, but hear me out. Yes, Rangers are warriors. Yes, they are (I believe) universally described as carrying swords (sometimes in multiple pieces, but still a sword), supplemented with bows and spears. Yes, the swords and bows and spears are what draw a lot of folks to the idea of Middle-Earth reenacting in the first place. Swords and bows are expensive, though. For a half-way decent sword, you’re looking at $100-200. $200 could pay for a sword, or with a little savvy shopping you could probably get shoes, a tunic, and a cloak, all of decent quality for the same price. For the $300-$400 you would probably need to pay for a good sword (the VA Bristol so beloved by this forum retails at $530), you could probably get everything else on this list. Bows can be had for a little less (maybe $150 for an inexpensive bow and arrows), but I still think you can get a little more “bang for your buck” if you put that money elsewhere.

-

That’s what I was able to come up with! One thing I left out is a First Aid kit, because that is not Ranger-specific – that’s a must have for any outdoorsy adventure! I also left out things small items like salt horns, wooden spoons, Gondorian buckles, and the like that really flesh out a kit, because I wanted to focus on the basics. I also left out some things like food, cookpots, cordage, etc. - all essentials, but there are inexpensive modern versions that don’t call attention to themselves (jerky, aluminum pots with bails, sisal rope from the hardware store) that can serve until more appropriate replacements can be found.

Thoughts?
- Ned Houndswood, Breelander
Richmond Fantasy-Inspired Hiking and Camping (on WordPress and Facebook)
jbook
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Re: Basic kit/"Getting started" list?

Post by jbook »

1. Shoes. Yeah, I know that shoes aren’t very exciting, but Rangers range, and if you want to go ranging, you need to think about your feet. Getting some footwear that is comfortable and looks the part is going to require investment, especially if you’re aiming for Strider’s “high boots of supple leather”, so I think it’s worth considering just ripping the band-aid off and getting some early in the process. If you happen to live near some like-minded folks, there’s a reasonable chance that someone will have a tunic or cloak to spare that you could borrow, but it’s less likely that someone will have a good pair of shoes in your size. Even if you decide to go for something a little less dramatic than tall boots (chukkas and winnigas make for a budget-friendly option that won’t draw focus), it’s worth thinking about shoes early on – you don’t want to be prepping for your first trek and find that the only shoes you have that won’t destroy your feet are your fluorescent gym sneakers.
I really love that you mention shoes first. Beyond the practicality of having a good set of shoes to traverse the terrain in, nothing throws off a kit like a pare of modern shoes. In the historical reenacting world I've known guys that make shoes the last thing they buy and it's always been a major pet peeve of mine. I've known guys that have been reenacting for 10+ years and still have yet to invest in a good pare of period shoes. Good on ya for mentioning and listing it first. It's really an invaluable piece of gear for multiple reasons!
Taurinor
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Taurinor »

jbook wrote: I really love that you mention shoes first. Beyond the practicality of having a good set of shoes to traverse the terrain in, nothing throws off a kit like a pare of modern shoes. In the historical reenacting world I've known guys that make shoes the last thing they buy and it's always been a major pet peeve of mine. I've known guys that have been reenacting for 10+ years and still have yet to invest in a good pare of period shoes. Good on ya for mentioning and listing it first. It's really an invaluable piece of gear for multiple reasons!
To direct the credit where it's due, the GoF list had shoes at #1, largely for the reasons you pointed out! I just happened to agree.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

OOOOOOOOH OOH OOH OOH!!! I WANTED TO TALK TO YOU ABOUT THIS EXACT THING. I have already been talking a bit with Greg and Elleth as well. I have... PLAAAAANS. Mwahaha.
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Taurinor
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Taurinor »

Manveruon wrote:OOOOOOOOH OOH OOH OOH!!! I WANTED TO TALK TO YOU ABOUT THIS EXACT THING. I have already been talking a bit with Greg and Elleth as well. I have... PLAAAAANS. Mwahaha.
Uh oh, now I'm worried... :mrgreen:
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Bwahahaha...

In all seriousness though, I have a fairly ambitious project that I have started working a little on, and I'd love your help with it. Your above post is... well... right up that alley.
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Taurinor
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Taurinor »

Manveruon wrote:Bwahahaha...

In all seriousness though, I have a fairly ambitious project that I have started working a little on, and I'd love your help with it. Your above post is... well... right up that alley.
Happy to help where I can!
Udwin
Vendor

Post by Udwin »

Solid list, sir!!!
I would personally tweak #5 to just 'A Good Knife'...hatchets and the like are nice, but I feel like most camping wood to be had can be gathered and simply cracked over one's knee or in the fork of a tree.

I would also bump blanket up above tarp, as a solid blanket or two can force you to rely more on your natural environment in creating shelter (exercising key skills!). However, a good blanket these days costs more than a few silver pennies, but we should think of it as an investment! Also, a blanket can always do double-duty as a cloak in a pinch!
Personae: Aistan son of Ansteig, common Beorning of Wilderland; Tungo Brandybuck, Eastfarthing Bounder, 3018 TA; a native Man of the Greyflood, c.850 SA
Taurinor
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Taurinor »

Udwin wrote:I would personally tweak #5 to just 'A Good Knife'...hatchets and the like are nice, but I feel like most camping wood to be had can be gathered and simply cracked over one's knee or in the fork of a tree.
I agree, but try telling that to a dwarf!
Udwin wrote:I would also bump blanket up above tarp, as a solid blanket or two can force you to rely more on your natural environment in creating shelter (exercising key skills!). However, a good blanket these days costs more than a few silver pennies, but we should think of it as an investment! Also, a blanket can always do double-duty as a cloak in a pinch!
I think that's a very good point, which is why I couldn't really decide whether to put tarp or blanket first. I think the order of tarp vs blanket may be one decided by where the Ranger in question ranges. How cold does it get? How wet is it? Is it private land, where shelter-building wouldn't pose a problem? Is it public land, where materials might be more limited? I'm not as practiced in making shelter as I'd like, but I've seen a lot of videos where folks gather spruce boughs and cut standing dead trees, which most parks probably would not allow.

Which brings up the point that no list is going to be "one size fits all", and should always be viewed as a guideline :)
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

That is awesome! What a wonderful resource y'all are creating!

One place I do think our form of "re-enacting" differs from the regular sort is that - since we're just out by ourselves - you don't have to wait until everything's perfect before hitting the woods. Just a piece or two at a time is enough to get started.

And with that, I'm off to go work on my tunic. Like.. finally.
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Okay, finally getting around to actually responding to this. I already sent Taurinor a detailed private message (almost wrote that "pirate message" haha... Freudian slip?) but I wanted to reply properly on here too.

First of all, I find it hilarious that your first reenacting experience was with pirate stuff, because that's EXACTLY the same background I come from - I was hanging around Gentlemen of Fortune, the Pyracy Pub, the Pirate Brethren Forum, etc. for ages before coming "back to my roots" with fantasy stuff when I found this forum. We probably bumped into each other online a couple times back in the day. Small world!

But anyway, yeah, this is awesome! I've been thinking about this exact thing for quite some time, and I have been cooking up a somewhat extensive project of my own along these lines. For a while now I have been trying to get a group of people here in the Denver area together to do more "Ranger stuff," but I seem to keep running into a roadblock in that every time I try to plan an event, inevitably everyone starts going, "Oh gee I wish I could come, but I just don't have anything to wear!" So I try ask how I can help, but the response is almost always, "Well Im not sure, because I just don't know where to start." It seems there are a lot of people out there - even people with backgrounds in renaissance festivals, cosplay, and the SCA, surprisingly - who are honestly just intimidated by the idea of putting together a ranger kit. Part of what I keep trying to get across to them is that their garb doesn't have to be 100% exclusively ranger-dedicated. Plenty of stuff they use in the SCA or LARP or the renaissance festival will absolutely do the trick, especially if it's just meant to serve as "good-enough" garb until they can upgrade and specialize their kit a little better.

In any case, I think some guidance is definitely needed for newcomers who feel overwhelmed, and that's why I've decided to work up a sort of "Ranger's Handbook for Beginners." I want to include a basic intro explaining who we are, what we do, and why we do it, then give a breakdown of the absolute most basic level of garb and gear required to get them set up enough to do the "ranger thing" on the most casual level possible. Because this is meant to be a strictly novice-level handbook I am focusing primarily on clothing, and not on things like camping/sleeping gear, fire-making tools, etc. The way I figure it, if a person wants to go out and have fun in the woods with us to see what it's all about, they are probably going to start with a day-hike rather than an overnighter, so I don't want to overwhelm them with a lot of information about tarps and shelters and water filters and flint and tinder, etc. etc. It's meant as a jumping-off point more than anything. Ideally, after this we could then set to work on more advanced Ranger Handbooks with information for intermediate and advanced participants - but getting the basics out of the way was my first priority.

I've already started on the project and I think it's coming along nicely. I have shared what I have so far with Greg, Elleth, and Taurinor, but anyone else who would like to contribute, or even just review and critique it, can feel free to let me know any time and I will gladly share. I believe there is no better resource for this than the excellent brains of our wonderful forumites!

As for what Taurinor put up above, I am also in agreement that bringing up footwear right away is a good idea. Period footwear seems to be one of the biggest stumbling-blocks for newcomers (it certainly was for me), but now that I've been doing this a while I've come to the realization that this does not necessarily have to be the case. There are a number of options for ranger boots out there, and as you say, leg wraps of various kinds can be used as well, if one cannot find or afford full boots. I would also say that if a person is reeeaaally just having an exceptionally hard time finding footwear that works for them - or alternately, if there is an event coming up and they really just need a quick-and-dirty fix for their lack of footwear - there is also the option of some kind of boot-spat or gaiter. I know a lot of people shy away from this solution because commercially available boot-spats are usually awful and costumey looking, but they don't have to be. The Ithilien Rangers in the PJ films all wore sort of gaiters made from oilcloth, and technically even Legolas' "boots" were faked by using suede wraps with stirrups that fit over a pair of smaller shoes. And of course one major advantage to making a pair of decent-looking gaiters to cover modern shoes is that it is often much, MUCH less expensive than buying actual boots. I mainly recommend this as a temporary fix until proper footwear can be made or acquired, but it can certainly do the trick. Nothing pulls me out of the atmosphere like a wonderful set of garb, from head to ankle, but terminating in a bright white pair of Nike's. It's almost as bad as wearing sunglasses with your garb... almost.

Otherwise, yeah, as I mentioned in my PM to Taurinor, I am very much of the mind that the most important thing is to get people set up enough to just get out there and start participating. Like Elleth said, one of the nice things about this particular hobby is that we don't necessarily have to wait until we look AMAZING to start going out and *doing it*. For this specific reason, I would personally probably leave off items like the hatchet/knife, the blanket, and the tarp from the ultra-basic newcomer list. Still, I believe a water bottle or canteen of some kind is an absolute necessity, so I wholeheartedly agree with that - and there are many different options to choose from. This and the footwear concern are probably the biggest challenges for a first-time Ranger, so I want to allay the fears of anyone who might be intimidated by showing them some really solid options right off the bat.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Oh! And I love your observation about the weaponry situation, Taurinor! I could not have said it better myself! Swords and bows are all good and well, but they're not absolute necessities. Better to start with some ultra-basic garb and serviceable footwear and worry about weapons further down the road.
Ursus
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Ursus »

Manveruon wrote:Oh! And I love your observation about the weaponry situation, Taurinor! I could not have said it better myself! Swords and bows are all good and well, but they're not absolute necessities. Better to start with some ultra-basic garb and serviceable footwear and worry about weapons further down the road.

I'll second that. As probably one of the bigger weaponphiles on the forum I'm still fond of reminding newcomers to focus on the skills and equipment that actually allow you to survive first, last, and always. I'm currently training two new rangers and keep drilling it in that weapons are great but you can't cut dehydration and hypothermia or stab hunger.
"Lonely men are we, Rangers of the wild, hunters – but hunters ever of the servants of the Enemy."

“My cuts, short or long, don’t go wrong.”
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Hah! Well said.
Taurinor
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Taurinor »

Manveruon wrote: Because this is meant to be a strictly novice-level handbook I am focusing primarily on clothing, and not on things like camping/sleeping gear, fire-making tools, etc. The way I figure it, if a person wants to go out and have fun in the woods with us to see what it's all about, they are probably going to start with a day-hike rather than an overnighter, so I don't want to overwhelm them with a lot of information about tarps and shelters and water filters and flint and tinder, etc. etc. It's meant as a jumping-off point more than anything.
That same logic influenced the order of my list. With the first three items (shoes, tunic, and cloak) a person’s kit is at a “costuming” level – it looks the part, but would be best for the faire or nerd conventions. With the addition of a canteen, a knife, and some pouches (numbers 4, 5, 6), the functionality of the kit is increased immensely, to the point where it could be worn on day hikes and the like. This increase in functionality also makes the kit look more “real” (because it is!). The necessities for overnighters and the like don’t show up until the second half of the list, and it’s entirely possible that some folks may never want to go that far, if they’re mostly interested in day activities rather than sleeping outside.
Manveruon wrote: I would also say that if a person is reeeaaally just having an exceptionally hard time finding footwear that works for them - or alternately, if there is an event coming up and they really just need a quick-and-dirty fix for their lack of footwear - there is also the option of some kind of boot-spat or gaiter. I know a lot of people shy away from this solution because commercially available boot-spats are usually awful and costumey looking, but they don't have to be. The Ithilien Rangers in the PJ films all wore sort of gaiters made from oilcloth, and technically even Legolas' "boots" were faked by using suede wraps with stirrups that fit over a pair of smaller shoes. And of course one major advantage to making a pair of decent-looking gaiters to cover modern shoes is that it is often much, MUCH less expensive than buying actual boots. I mainly recommend this as a temporary fix until proper footwear can be made or acquired, but it can certainly do the trick.
Some leggings could be another option in the “hide modern footwear” category, and I know some folks here use them in their kits even after acquiring appropriate shoes. I like the look of half-leggings/botas, like this kit from Crazy Crow. Even if footwear doesn’t end up being the first piece of kit someone gets/makes, I think listing it first will at least put it on their radar/get them thinking about it early on.
Manveruon wrote:Nothing pulls me out of the atmosphere like a wonderful set of garb, from head to ankle, but terminating in a bright white pair of Nike's. It's almost as bad as wearing sunglasses with your garb... almost.
OH MY GOD, YES.
Manveruon wrote:I am very much of the mind that the most important thing is to get people set up enough to just get out there and start participating. Like Elleth said, one of the nice things about this particular hobby is that we don't necessarily have to wait until we look AMAZING to start going out and *doing it*. For this specific reason, I would personally probably leave off items like the hatchet/knife, the blanket, and the tarp from the ultra-basic newcomer list.
I think Udwin’s suggestion of changing it from “Knife/axe/preferred cutting tool(s)” to “A Good Knife” may make it more accessible to a newcomer, but as above, there’s a reason it’s after the shoes, tunic, cloak, and canteen. Folks like sharp things, though, and may be a little less miffed by weapons being last if they get SOMETHING pointy to play with :mrgreen:
Ursus wrote: I'm currently training two new rangers and keep drilling it in that weapons are great but you can't cut dehydration and hypothermia or stab hunger.
I second Manveruon – well said!