Basic kit/"Getting started" list?

For all of the Talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Manveruon
Thangailhir

Re: Basic kit/"Getting started" list?

Post by Manveruon »

Good points, all! Every time I start updating my own list I keep going back and forth on how I want to arrange it, and which items to list first, last, or even at all. I'm hoping that with enough trial and error I will hit upon a layout that combines maximum usefulness with minimum intimidation. But yeah, I definitely see your points.

...Also, now I want to try find a way to cut hypothermia and stab hunger, just to say I did.
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Ursus
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Ursus »

Manveruon wrote:...Also, now I want to try find a way to cut hypothermia and stab hunger, just to say I did.

The easy route would be to put on a coat, do some cutting practice, jab a fork into a cheeseburger and proclaim victory!
"Lonely men are we, Rangers of the wild, hunters – but hunters ever of the servants of the Enemy."

“My cuts, short or long, don’t go wrong.”
Taurinor
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Taurinor »

Manveruon wrote:Every time I start updating my own list I keep going back and forth on how I want to arrange it, and which items to list first, last, or even at all. I'm hoping that with enough trial and error I will hit upon a layout that combines maximum usefulness with minimum intimidation.
I think your best bet may be to just get something put together and get it in front of new folks so you can get some feedback. You're coming at it from a place of some experience, so it's going to be hard to guess how someone new will feel about it. Maybe once you get it in a place you can live with it (since I know that you'll probably never be totally happy with it), you could upload it to the MERF Facebook page? The Facebook group members seem to have more of a range of experience than folks here on the forums.
- Ned Houndswood, Breelander
Richmond Fantasy-Inspired Hiking and Camping (on WordPress and Facebook)
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Okay, resurrecting this thread for a minute to say that I have been working a lot on my Middle Earth Ranger Handbook project again lately, and with the help of a few forum members here I'm really hoping to have it complete before the end of the year at latest (fingers crossed). I am trying to take into account everything mentioned above in this thread as much as possible. Also, Taurinor's suggestion about posting a sort of 1st draft, or 1st edition to the MERF Facebook group is a great one, and I will probably try to do that soon, just to get some feedback from folks who aren't as "in it" as we are.

Incidentally, if any of the new folks around here (and I know there are a few who have popped up recently) are reading this and would like to take a look at what we've got so far, please let me know, and I will gladly share the link with you!
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Echadron

Post by Echadron »

Manveruon wrote:Incidentally, if any of the new folks around here (and I know there are a few who have popped up recently) are reading this and would like to take a look at what we've got so far, please let me know, and I will gladly share the link with you!
I would love to see it!
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Okay, sorry for the delay, but at the risk of giving away what might be kind of a cool surprise, here is the link to the handbook as it is now. Obviously it is very much a work-in-progress, and suuuuuper incomplete, so bear that in mind. I'm open to any thoughts or suggestions folks may have. Right now my biggest goal is trying to find a nice balance of information that will offer newcomers all the information they need to get started, but not SO MUCH information that it scares people off at first glance.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Xou ... sp=sharing
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

That is awesome Manv! Great job compiling and writing all that! I can tell it's been a huge amount of work.

Thanks for taking it on to get more people into the hobby. :lol:
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Brilliant handbook, I read it all in brew time at work :P some really useful information, espeshaly the bit about fabric recomendations. I am, of course, reading it as a beginner to this hobby and have found it an exstreamly helpful resource (even if its incomplete- can't wait to see it when its finished) Cheers for posting it :lol:
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.