2nd Annual MERF Birthday Photo Contest

For all of the Talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Manveruon
Thangailhir

2nd Annual MERF Birthday Photo Contest

Post by Manveruon »

OKAY, so I may be biting off a bit more than I can chew just now, but I'm trying to, once again, throw myself into Ranger-related pursuits in a big way, and I just remembered that not that far from this time last year, I was feeling the same way, so I started a little contest. WELL WHAT THE HECK LET'S DO IT AGIAN.

The Middle Earth Rangers Forum turns 9 years old on February 15th, and I would like to hold a little contest in celebration. The contest will begin today and officially end on March 15th. All submissions must be entered by that date. At that time, I will put up a poll and allow the MERF a one-week period to vote on whose photo they like best. Submission rules are as follows:

- The picture MUST have been taken NO EARLIER than the 1st of this year (so no old photos).
- The picture must depict EITHER you in your ranger gear, OUTDOORS, or...
- You, practicing some ranger-related craft (like sewing, leather-working, blacksmithing, archery, swordsmanship, etc.)
- Bonus points for doing both!
- VIDEO IS ALSO ALLOWED! NAY, INDEED, INCOURAGED!
- Please post all submissions below in this thread.

The point here is to encourage all of us (and especially the newer members!) to get some cool photos and/or video footage of us really getting into it - doing what it is that we do - in celebration of nine years of ranger camaraderie! AAAAAAAAAAND now that I have the Instagram account up and running... I might (definitely) have the ulterior motive of wanting a bunch of new sweet photos I can post there to show off how awesome we all are to the Internet at large.

THE PRIZE!

I am offering do draw a "ranger portrait" of you in your garb, similar to the one I made for Eric C. during the Yule gift exchange last year (and which I am currently working on for Udwin - again, sorry for the delay). Last year I believe Taurinor offered a runner-up prize as well, so maybe he or someone else might like to donate one to the 2nd place winner this year too? LEMME KNOW.

So there you go, folks! Let's have at it!
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Re: 2nd Annual MERF Birthday Photo Contest

Post by Manveruon »

OH. ALSO.

Greg won last year's contest, so he's ineligible for the prize this year. WHICH REMINDS ME... Greg, you asked me to hold off on doing your portrait until you got some kit and gear upgrades done soooooo... technically I still owe you a portrait from last year. Let me know when you want me to do that, and if you have any special requests!
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Taurinor
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Taurinor »

Whoo! Sounds fun, and I like the added "twists" of activity and video!

I'm totally willing to put up a prize - probably leather bracers or a pouch. If I come up with an idea for something that I think would be totally awesome, I'll make it and post a picture. If not, I'll work with the runner up on something they'd like for their kit.

Thanks for putting this together!
- Ned Houndswood, Breelander
Richmond Fantasy-Inspired Hiking and Camping (on WordPress and Facebook)
Udwin
Vendor

Post by Udwin »

Huh! Just the other day I dug out one of my spare archery bracers that I intended to set aside as a contest prize if one were to pop up. Great timing! I'll pop a pic of it up here this weekend so folks can see.
Excellent idea! Annual events are always fun to look forward to!
Personae: Aistan son of Ansteig, common Beorning of Wilderland; Tungo Brandybuck, Eastfarthing Bounder, 3018 TA; a native Man of the Greyflood, c.850 SA
Taurinor
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Taurinor »

If Udwin is putting up a bracer, I'll make a pouch! I've got an idea for one; I'll see if I can't get it put together in the near future and put up a picture.

Would you want to make it so first place gets your portrait and second and third pick bracer or pouch in order of placement? That would make it so folks aren't "aiming" for second or third, based on their kit needs.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Love that idea! Thanks guys! Sounds great!
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Actually, better yet - let's just say we have three prizes: a portrait, a pair of bracers, and a pouch. Whoever wins first gets their pick of the three, and so on and so forth.
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Manveruon wrote:OH. ALSO.

Greg won last year's contest, so he's ineligible for the prize this year. WHICH REMINDS ME... Greg, you asked me to hold off on doing your portrait until you got some kit and gear upgrades done soooooo... technically I still owe you a portrait from last year. Let me know when you want me to do that, and if you have any special requests!
I don't need to tell you anything. When the Winter edition of Edge of the Wild comes out, commence with all the artistic license you'd like. You'll know what to do, and I'm sure it'll be awesome.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

AWESOME. I await the newsletter with eager anticipation!
Udwin
Vendor

Post by Udwin »

Alright, here's what I'm contributing: one handmade archer's bracer (ambidextrous and fully adjustable with leather lace). Two layers of soft leather for rigidity, glued with hideglue and stitched together at the edges with fine hemp cord. It's 'Like New' right now, but I can easily patina it up for the 'lived-in' look, if the winner so desires. : )
Attachments
MERF_2birthday_bracer.jpg
MERF_2birthday_bracer.jpg (163.33 KiB) Viewed 13705 times
Personae: Aistan son of Ansteig, common Beorning of Wilderland; Tungo Brandybuck, Eastfarthing Bounder, 3018 TA; a native Man of the Greyflood, c.850 SA
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Fantastic, Thanks Udwin!
Taurinor
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Taurinor »

Working on the pouch - it's going slower than I'd like, but I'm making progress. Since teasers are hip at the moment...

Last edited by Taurinor on Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

That's absolutely lovely, and the Tolkien illustration inspiration is very evident. Love it.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

UM... WOOOOW. DANG.
Taurinor
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Taurinor »

Thanks! It's a combination of two of Tolkien's designs, and I tried to stay pretty faithful to the originals, so I'm glad it comes through.

The pieces are in walnut dye for an overnight soak. It's my first time trying this method, so fingers crossed!