2nd Annual MERF Birthday Photo Contest

For all of the Talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Manveruon
Thangailhir

Re: 2nd Annual MERF Birthday Photo Contest

Post by Manveruon »

Hey guys - sorry, I've been really silent around the boards lately. I quit my job unexpectedly last month and it has caused a pretty big upheaval in my life, so keeping up with the forums really fell by the wayside.

Anyway, YES YES YES, the contest is still on! Please feel free to submit pictures! So far we don't have any entries, so I would be willing to extend the contest somewhat, but I don't want to extend it too much. Maybe the end of the month? How do people feel?
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Udwin
Vendor

Post by Udwin »

I think it would be a good idea to extend to the end of the month. I got out and worked a hide a few weekends ago (got a boring, if accurate, picture I can share), but if this weather ever decides what season we're in and stays spring-like in the next few weeks, hopefully more folks will be able to get out and about. That IS one downside to having our birthday contest in the middle of winter--for most people to get out in the chill takes motivation and inertia to overcome!
C'mon everyone, let's see you show off what you've been inside crafting all winter!
Personae: Aistan son of Ansteig, common Beorning of Wilderland; Tungo Brandybuck, Eastfarthing Bounder, 3018 TA; a native Man of the Greyflood, c.850 SA
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Pete, I don't know how long it's been, but I've missed seeing photos of you and your gear. That half moon coat has been a part of "Pete" since I joined this forum, and it's nice to see you out and about in it again.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Melthrist
Dúnadan

Post by Melthrist »

I doubt I shall have a contest worthy kit in time (alas, Taurinor's pouch may never be mine! :shock: ) but I look forward to seeing everyone else's gear and some great shots!
A Elbereth Gilthoniel
silivren penna míriel
o menel aglar elenath!
Na-chaered palan-díriel
o galadhremmin ennorath,
Fanuilos, le linnathon
nef aear, sí nef aearon!
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Melthrist wrote:I doubt I shall have a contest worthy kit in time (alas, Taurinor's pouch may never be mine! :shock: ) but I look forward to seeing everyone else's gear and some great shots!

It doesn't matter what condition your gear is in. Give it a shot with what you can pull together. Portray a skill, I was going to try for tracking as deer daily walk where I was. The snow was coming down so heavy the tracks were covered up. A half hour after taking the shots, you couldn't tell I was ever there.

There are so many skill sets to choose from, many where a complete set of garb wouldn't even be visible. In the past we've had some fantastic entries in these photo contests so I urge all of you to take a few photos and post them.

Good Luck and you'll be surprised at just how much fun creating and posting the pics are.
Melthrist
Dúnadan

Post by Melthrist »

Peter Remling wrote:It doesn't matter what condition your gear is in.
The one problem is that my gear at the moment is quite literally nil, although I may be able to piece together a serviceable kit in time.
A Elbereth Gilthoniel
silivren penna míriel
o menel aglar elenath!
Na-chaered palan-díriel
o galadhremmin ennorath,
Fanuilos, le linnathon
nef aear, sí nef aearon!
Taurinor
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Taurinor »

Melthrist wrote:
The one problem is that my gear at the moment is quite literally nil, although I may be able to piece together a serviceable kit in time.
Like Pete said, post a picture demonstrating a ranger skill/craft (climbing a tree to get the lay of the land, building a natural shelter, etc.) - no kit required. If you really don't want to wear obviously modern clothes for the picture, pin a blanket around your shoulders over a green shirt and brown pants. You could even have someone taking a pictures of you sewing your kit!
- Ned Houndswood, Breelander
Richmond Fantasy-Inspired Hiking and Camping (on WordPress and Facebook)
Melthrist
Dúnadan

Post by Melthrist »

Taurinor wrote:
Melthrist wrote:
Like Pete said, post a picture demonstrating a ranger skill/craft (climbing a tree to get the lay of the land, building a natural shelter, etc.) - no kit required. If you really don't want to wear obviously modern clothes for the picture, pin a blanket around your shoulders over a green shirt and brown pants. You could even have someone taking a pictures of you sewing your kit!
Sounds like a great idea, and I'll definitely consider taking that course, but probably only if all else fails! I just feel like I want there to be some sort of ranger vibe in my picture no mater what, although maybe I could just wrap a blanket around myself like you suggested :)
A Elbereth Gilthoniel
silivren penna míriel
o menel aglar elenath!
Na-chaered palan-díriel
o galadhremmin ennorath,
Fanuilos, le linnathon
nef aear, sí nef aearon!
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Just a reminder - Only 4 days left folks!
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Udwin
Vendor

Post by Udwin »

Here's what I got up to last month. Nothing exciting, but authentic!
Attachments
merf_bday17.jpg
merf_bday17.jpg (143.85 KiB) Viewed 12853 times
Personae: Aistan son of Ansteig, common Beorning of Wilderland; Tungo Brandybuck, Eastfarthing Bounder, 3018 TA; a native Man of the Greyflood, c.850 SA
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

OH HEY LOOK AT THIS, A CONTEST! -_-

...I am the worst, and I am so sorry guys. It's probably been close to a month since I've even logged in to the forums. Yikes. I got really wrapped up in other stuff, and since I haven't had any specific *reason* to sit in front of a computer for an extended period (my previous job was basically all about that), I've fallen way, WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY behind.

ANYWAY, SO HERE'S THE DEAL!

If there is anyone who would like to submit any last-minute entries in the next, say, 48 hours, please feel free! After that I'm going to put up a poll and actually vote on this so we can place Taurinor's awesome, gorgeous prize with its lucky new owner, and I can start working on my own!