A Winter patrol.

For all of the Talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Eledhwen
Thangailhir

A Winter patrol.

Post by Eledhwen »

Mae Govannen!

Some comments on these photos; Different look, the shirt being tucked in instead of the usual tunic I wear. The boots are by Bohemond, medieval boots I got for my hunting yet doing double duty. These are incredibly comfortable! The knit cap is called a 'Monmouth' hat, which style dates back to to at least the 14th century so I have no qualms about using it in Ranger kit. I had thought the dark red hooded mantle would be more easily seen in the woods, yet it worked well. The shirt I am wearing is of corduroy...or cord du roi. Some places find this weave very useful...I have to say it was warm enough. The market/pilgrim bag I have is made of linen. The strap needs shortening, which I knew, and now I know by how much.

Time wears on me more each year, yet I still have the old fire in the furnace. It was a good day. No sign of Yrch!

Nandalad!
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Re: A Winter patrol.

Post by Mirimaran »

Outstanding pics and way to set the example, Ranger!

Ken
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Straelbora
Haeropada

Post by Straelbora »

Makes me want to get out into the woods!

Where did you get those boots? I keep dithering about trying to make my own (and ending up wasting good leather and lots of time) or buying some boots.
Vápnum sínum skala maðr velli á
feti ganga framar því at óvist er at vita
nær verðr á vegum úti geirs um þörf guma
Hávamál
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

Straelbora; Those boots came from 'Boots by Bohemond'. I originally got them for use with St. Huberts' Rangers, yet they now do double duty, as so much of my kit does. Handy that. :)

Mirimaran; Thank you. :)

Eledhwen.
Nandalad!
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Looking great! I love these pictures! What a beautiful area, too! The light snow on the fallen leaves and bracken is wonderfully picturesque!

And I really dig the garb combination! It's a bit of a departure from our usual rut, but it looks highly practical, and the variation is refreshing. I particularly enjoy the Monmouth cap - I think it was a great idea. I might have to pack one myself on my next overnighter, because it would be great for the frigid wee hours of the morning.
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Nice to see you pop in again! Lovely place to take a hike.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
SierraStrider
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by SierraStrider »

Eledhwen wrote:I had thought the dark red hooded mantle would be more easily seen in the woods, yet it worked well.
I'm reminded of Swiss Alpenflage, It's got some unusually vibrant red coloration to blend with deciduous forest.

Farodel
Dúnadan

Post by Farodel »

SierraStrider wrote:
Eledhwen wrote:I had thought the dark red hooded mantle would be more easily seen in the woods, yet it worked well.
I'm reminded of Swiss Alpenflage, It's got some unusually vibrant red coloration to blend with deciduous forest.

Fun fact: if the intent is to be hidden from animals (and at least one ranger) add as much middle-reds as you want! Animals like wolves and deer (and Farodels) are the exact type of color blind to be witless of the variation, and you'll still be left with a more than effective camouflage.
"Few now remember them, yet still some go wandering, sons of forgotten kings walking in loneliness, guarding from evil things folk that are heedless."