Some Books for Inspiration

For all of the Talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Farodel
Dúnadan

Some Books for Inspiration

Post by Farodel »

I just thought I'd share a few books I picked up that some of you might find interesting or useful. There are a plethora of oversized books that came out in conjunction with the Peter Jackson movies (as I'm sure you're well aware). I've had the Weapons and Warfare book forever, as it is absolutely a fantastic resource for seeing some of the costumes used in the films layer-by-layer. I purchased a few other books toward the same end. They were all VERY cheap, and even if I don't end up using them in any tangible way, they're worth their price just as coffee table books. (Ignore the price stickers, they do not reflect what I paid.)

First are these Visual Companions to the Lord of the Rings. Not really much in these that you can't find elsewhere, but some very good full page photographs that show some detail you might not see elsewhere. For less than $3 a book, not a huge investment.

These next ones are the Hobbit Chronicles books. They retail for like $35, but you can get them for about $7 with clever shopping. They are the Hobbit's version of Weapons and Warfare: detailed illustrations on every little thing. They show concept art for each piece of every main character's attire, from Thorin's mess kit to Dori's scissors. TONS of inspiration in these books, especially for crafting. The Battle of the Five Armies book has a lot of armor pieces and buckles bearing their raven motif that I might steal for something.

The last two aren't helpful in the same way as the others, but they are beautiful books and great things to have in the Tolkien collection. The Bestiary is sort of an encyclopedia of Middle-Earth. Not incredibly detailed, but nice. The other is an art book where each page has a classic Middle-Earth painting by some of the better known artists (Alan Lee, John Howe, Ted Nasmith). Always inspiring in their own way.

If you don't feel like claiming the books for yourself but you're looking for a photo or sketch of a specific item from one of the Hobbit films, let me know and I can see if it's in these books. I know I saw some of the dwarves' belt pouches floating around Pinterest and wanted some more concept art.

Cheers, all.
"Few now remember them, yet still some go wandering, sons of forgotten kings walking in loneliness, guarding from evil things folk that are heedless."
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Re: Some Books for Inspiration

Post by Greg »

Quite a pile of goodies there. Thanks for sharing! That photo of the painting on the "Ithilien" page in one of the visual companions was worth this entire thread to see.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Udwin
Vendor

Post by Udwin »

Heh heh, that David Day one should be summarily pulped...his books have a very annoying habit of being retitled and reissued without any changes in the already-innacurate contents. Pretty sure he is the source of the infamous 'Lung Map'. *shudder*
WETA concept stuff, on the other hand, is at least interesting in a material-culture inspiration sense.
Personae: Aistan son of Ansteig, common Beorning of Wilderland; Tungo Brandybuck, Eastfarthing Bounder, 3018 TA; a native Man of the Greyflood, c.850 SA
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

I was given a copy of the David Day "Tolkien Dictionary"...there are things in there that are so wrong that, during my first (and only) read-through, I had to put it down and go read parts of the Silmarillion to remind myself of what really happened lest my personal knowledge be skewed by a "Dictionary". I mean, we're talking some serious inaccuracies...practically making up facts about the origins of the Edain, etc.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Farodel
Dúnadan

Post by Farodel »

Greg wrote:Quite a pile of goodies there. Thanks for sharing! That photo of the painting on the "Ithilien" page in one of the visual companions was worth this entire thread to see.
It's actually a photograph! Or a still from footage, but I haven't seen it anywhere else.
"Few now remember them, yet still some go wandering, sons of forgotten kings walking in loneliness, guarding from evil things folk that are heedless."
Laothain
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Laothain »

Good idea. I know I have a few of those books myself