Eagle Scout

For all of the Talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Brownno
Dúnadan

Eagle Scout

Post by Brownno »

Well I earned my Eagle Scout merit badge back in December but I had my ceremony a couple of weeks ago and I just want to know how many rangers are Eagle Scouts.
The mountains are calling and I must go.
The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness.
Keep close to Nature's heart... and break clear away, once in awhile, and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods. Wash your spirit clean.
Harper
Haeropada

Re: Eagle Scout

Post by Harper »

Congratulations Brownno!

It is an honor that will stay with you your entire life.

--From A Brother Eagle Scout
Straelbora
Haeropada

Post by Straelbora »

Congrats! I have five nephews (two, sons of one sister; three sons of a different sister) who are Eagle Scouts.

I find myself in a bit of a conundrum, though. I'm Norse Pagan, my wife is Daoist. Our sons are 7 and 5. Scouts have all sorts of 'approved' religious affiliations, neither of which match our household. I'd like to enroll them in Scouts, but not sure how well we'd fit in.
Vápnum sínum skala maðr velli á
feti ganga framar því at óvist er at vita
nær verðr á vegum úti geirs um þörf guma
Hávamál
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

Oh congratulations!

Many of the best men I've ever met have been Eagle Scouts. You're off to a grand start. :)
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Congratulations Noah,it's a great achievement !
Melthrist
Dúnadan

Post by Melthrist »

I'm in Scouts, but in Australia, so I admit I did have to search this up. All the same, I would like to heartily congratulate you on your achievement!
A Elbereth Gilthoniel
silivren penna míriel
o menel aglar elenath!
Na-chaered palan-díriel
o galadhremmin ennorath,
Fanuilos, le linnathon
nef aear, sí nef aearon!
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Eagle here. Congrats, brother!
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Brownno
Dúnadan

Post by Brownno »

Straelbora wrote:Congrats! I have five nephews (two, sons of one sister; three sons of a different sister) who are Eagle Scouts.

I find myself in a bit of a conundrum, though. I'm Norse Pagan, my wife is Daoist. Our sons are 7 and 5. Scouts have all sorts of 'approved' religious affiliations, neither of which match our household. I'd like to enroll them in Scouts, but not sure how well we'd fit in.
Well with scouts they like a religious background but I have an eagle scout that didn't go to any religious things but for the rank he needed a letter of recommendation from a religious source so he got a letter from his closest religious leader which he didn't know very well. But I feel like they could make it through scouts since they really just need a religion and accept others because scouting does have many things about christianity. But I definitely say you should have them go through scouts.
Keep close to Nature's heart... and break clear away, once in awhile, and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods. Wash your spirit clean.
Brownno
Dúnadan

Post by Brownno »

Melthrist wrote:I'm in Scouts, but in Australia, so I admit I did have to search this up. All the same, I would like to heartily congratulate you on your achievement!
What is the equal achievement in Australian scouts? Because you have greatly peaked my interest.
Melthrist
Dúnadan

Post by Melthrist »

Well, we have differing ones for Cubs, Scouts, Venturers and Rovers but at my level (Scouts) it would probably be the Australian Scout
Medallion.
A Elbereth Gilthoniel
silivren penna míriel
o menel aglar elenath!
Na-chaered palan-díriel
o galadhremmin ennorath,
Fanuilos, le linnathon
nef aear, sí nef aearon!
SierraStrider
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by SierraStrider »

Straelbora wrote:I'd like to enroll them in Scouts, but not sure how well we'd fit in.
I'm an Eagle Scout and an atheist. My troop was pretty religious and met in a church rec room. It was always a bit awkward, but nothing more than that. As long as they can be quiet and hold still for the <2 minutes of invocation per meeting, I think your kids would be fine. Of course, there's always a possibility that there'll be some jerk parent who wants to make an issue of it, but the probability of that would depend on your geographic location.

I'm also not aware of any master list of approved religious affiliations--The general rule I heard coming through the program was that it's not important *what* you believe, just *that* you believe. Religious reverence of some type was all that was theoretically required, and I did okay despite lacking even that. Nominal Daoism should get you a pass from all but the most religiously intolerant of parents, and with a very little luck even the paganism shouldn't make too many waves.
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Straelbora wrote:Scouts have all sorts of 'approved' religious affiliations, neither of which match our household. I'd like to enroll them in Scouts, but not sure how well we'd fit in.
There is nothing in scouts required for advancement or participation that includes religious affiliation. The "approved" religious emblems that can be earned are completely voluntary, and needn't be touched if you/your boys aren't interested. I *think* there may be a Daoist emblem, fwiw.

Most troops are sponsored by a local charter organization (local Lion's Club sponsored mine), and many of these are churches, but they can't force you to participate in anything like that.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Straelbora
Haeropada

Post by Straelbora »

SierraStrider wrote:
Straelbora wrote:I'd like to enroll them in Scouts, but not sure how well we'd fit in.
I'm an Eagle Scout and an atheist. My troop was pretty religious and met in a church rec room. It was always a bit awkward, but nothing more than that. As long as they can be quiet and hold still for the <2 minutes of invocation per meeting, I think your kids would be fine. Of course, there's always a possibility that there'll be some jerk parent who wants to make an issue of it, but the probability of that would depend on your geographic location.

I'm also not aware of any master list of approved religious affiliations--The general rule I heard coming through the program was that it's not important *what* you believe, just *that* you believe. Religious reverence of some type was all that was theoretically required, and I did okay despite lacking even that. Nominal Daoism should get you a pass from all but the most religiously intolerant of parents, and with a very little luck even the paganism shouldn't make too many waves.
I live in Indiana. When I first moved here from Michigan, a lot of neighbors asked, "What church do you go to?" and that was the last time I spoke to them in 8 years.
Vápnum sínum skala maðr velli á
feti ganga framar því at óvist er at vita
nær verðr á vegum úti geirs um þörf guma
Hávamál
Feredir (hunter)
Dúnadan

Post by Feredir (hunter) »

congrats!!! I am also a new Eagle, last winter.
I drink coffee and I pretend to know what I am doing...