The cost of being a Ranger

For all of the Talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Melthrist
Dúnadan

Re: The cost of being a Ranger

Post by Melthrist »

Taurinor wrote:I'd also recommend holding off on getting your dream footwear until you finish growing - "period" shoes are expensive! Winingas/leg wraps can do a good job of hiding modern footwear, especially plain leather shoes or boots.
I recently got a pair of Hi-Tec Altitudes that were on sale. They are full grain leather which sort of fits in with the Ranger style so I might just wear them alone but they are still "modern" so I could consider the idea of leg wraps to hide it even more.
A Elbereth Gilthoniel
silivren penna míriel
o menel aglar elenath!
Na-chaered palan-díriel
o galadhremmin ennorath,
Fanuilos, le linnathon
nef aear, sí nef aearon!
robinhoodsghost
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by robinhoodsghost »

I make most of what, I need which ends up being better than most of what you can buy. I'd say 300 dollars tops for my kit, not including weapons.
In the darkest part of Sherwoods glade, in the thickest part of the wood, there are those who say, can still be seen, the ghost of Robin Hood.
Dark wood Wanderer

Post by Dark wood Wanderer »

I am new to Renaissance Faires but have done other reenacting. I made my own belt and will wear it with a kilt this year but I am also working on a foresters outfit that I hope to have completed this year sometime. I do blacksmithing, leather work, wood carving and some copper and basic silver work, so I can and do, make almost all of my own gear. I did buy my boots from House of Andar and really like them.
Kortoso
Haeropada

Post by Kortoso »

Dark wood Wanderer wrote:I am new to Renaissance Faires but have done other reenacting. I made my own belt and will wear it with a kilt this year but I am also working on a foresters outfit that I hope to have completed this year sometime. I do blacksmithing, leather work, wood carving and some copper and basic silver work, so I can and do, make almost all of my own gear. I did buy my boots from House of Andar and really like them.
Welcome Wanderer! Do you have a home base that you can disclose to your trusted brothers? :)
There are no safe paths in this part of the world. Remember you are over the Edge of the Wild now, and in for all sorts of fun wherever you go.
Dark wood Wanderer

Post by Dark wood Wanderer »

Tahlequah (Tah-lee-kw-ah) Oklahoma is where I live. I have about 100 acres of woodlands that back up 800 acres that I can access anytime I wish. The woods sort of look like the woods where the trolls were at in the first hobby movie.
Kortoso
Haeropada

Post by Kortoso »

Dark wood Wanderer wrote:Tahlequah (Tah-lee-kw-ah) Oklahoma is where I live. I have about 100 acres of woodlands that back up 800 acres that I can access anytime I wish. The woods sort of look like the woods where the trolls were at in the first hobby movie.
Then you are far richer than many of us, brother! :mrgreen:
There are no safe paths in this part of the world. Remember you are over the Edge of the Wild now, and in for all sorts of fun wherever you go.
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

That does sound grand! :)

Re-reading The Two Towers recently I was reminded of just how far south Ithilien is. I'd always felt a little itchy about doing "Middle Earth" while in the South, but the Professor's descriptions of the the woodlands Faramir's people ranged make that sound a lot more plausible.

... I wonder how many of Faramir's men wore linen (or cottons or even silks!) rather than north-man's wool?
Certainly it helps Fell and Fair's use of largely linen garb look quite natural! (And I'm sure it's a godsend in South Carolina)
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Udwin
Vendor

Post by Udwin »

Elleth wrote:Re-reading The Two Towers recently I was reminded of just how far south Ithilien is. I'd always felt a little itchy about doing "Middle Earth" while in the South, but the Professor's descriptions of the the woodlands Faramir's people ranged make that sound a lot more plausible.
... I wonder how many of Faramir's men wore linen (or cottons or even silks!) rather than north-man's wool?
While I don't think there would be anything wrong with wearing of linen in Ithilien, I really don't think there would be anything wrong with wool either. While Gondor IS very far south (Minas Tirith is at roughly the latitude of Florence, iirc), the main difference between what is pretty obviously a Mediterranean climate and that of the American South is the presence of HUMIDITY. Because of the general lack thereof in the Mediterranean, light wool (tunics and togas alike) was very common in the classical cultures...while the regionally-adaptive cultures of the American South (i.e. indigs) tended to wear very little--or just enough to keep any sharp or stabby vegetation at bay--until the introduction of linen in the colonial period.
Personae: Aistan son of Ansteig, common Beorning of Wilderland; Tungo Brandybuck, Eastfarthing Bounder, 3018 TA; a native Man of the Greyflood, c.850 SA
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

Ha! Quite right, of course Udwin. Now that you mention it, I vaguely remember a mention of sheep-rustling between the early proto-Romans and other tribes in their region. Which is perhaps a funnier image in story than it was in real life. :mrgreen:

BAAAAAAAAAA BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
RikJohnson39
Wayfarer

Post by RikJohnson39 »

It really can be quite inexpensive as the major cost would be your weapons (sword, axe, bow, knife).
After that it is just materials as most of us prefer to make our own.

Time is a big factor. I haunt swap meets, yard sales and thrift stores for good deals.
*I found some bolts of wool-blend at a swap meet. The seller had bought them 40 years ago and was tired of storing them so I got them all for $2 per bolt. still in excellent condition and worth a hundred times that today in a store IF you can find that quality. Said bolts netted me two kilts and a couple cloaks and I STILL have enough for tunics, etc.
*Craigslist netted me a huge box of archery parts from an estate sale. Antique fletchers and boxes of heads and the like.
I tend to search, look, see something and toss it into my project-box until I am bored and think, "What can I make?"

Most of my gear is hand-made from items around the house. I made a series of small Celtic cloak-pins from some steel and brass wire I found. I made a complete sewing kit from paper-clips, some ivory scraps gifted from a artist friend and some bones left over from dinner. Same with a fishing kit.

So as for cost, a few hundred dollars for my sword and knife and parts to make my own arrows.
The rest is uncalculable as I buy things and store them for years until I turn someone else's junk into a workable kit.
All that must happen for Evil to triumph is for the Good People to stand by and do nothing!