The cost of being a Ranger

For all of the Talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Melthrist
Dúnadan

The cost of being a Ranger

Post by Melthrist »

So lately I've been investing a lot of time in looking at all the materials and gear I will need to form my kit, but I wanted to know what (approximately) everyone on this forum has spent on their kit and if they've picked up any money saving tips along the way.
A Elbereth Gilthoniel
silivren penna míriel
o menel aglar elenath!
Na-chaered palan-díriel
o galadhremmin ennorath,
Fanuilos, le linnathon
nef aear, sí nef aearon!
Ursus
Amrod Rhandir

Re: The cost of being a Ranger

Post by Ursus »

Its difficult to say as far as cost. My kit has been evolving since I began ranging way back in 2000 during my freshman year of high school. I grew up in the 18 C reenacting circuit so at that time I looked like a longhunter with a sword and bow.

From then to now the best money saving tip I can give is to make it all yourself where possible using historically accurate materials and patterns. Even if it takes longer to acquire, its better to wait than to go the easy route and use something made from a more modern material like rayon. For leather the best look is hide that's been tanned yourself. If that's not an option I bargain hunt for whole finished hides on eBay, goat and cow mostly. Avoid chrome tanned leather like the plauge. Next best is to find leather items at thrift stores and modify them to suit your needs. The same goes for wool and linen fabric as far as repurposing.

Also if you keep an eye on our classifieds often time folks will get rid of items they no long use for a steal of a price.

Hope this helps!
"Lonely men are we, Rangers of the wild, hunters – but hunters ever of the servants of the Enemy."

“My cuts, short or long, don’t go wrong.”
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

The ever-true, ever-frustrating answer to your question is "it depends."

You can sew up a T-tunic from cheap cotton broadcloth for well under $20 still, throw it on over regular trousers, and find an old too-large belt at the thrift store. Done.
You can also spend thousands of dollars over years buying custom work from top-tier craftsmen to create an ensemble better than anything WETA put together.

I think it was Udwin who brought up the time-quality-cost triangle: Fast and cheap is low quality, High quality and fast costs a ton of money, High quality and low cost takes forever.

At the very beginning of the road where you are, I'd say don't worry about that at the moment. Think of one or two big-ticket items you might want on your Christmas list (boots? Maybe a simple flatbow or knife, parents willing?) and just concentrate on getting a good-enough tunic and belt put together now. You'll replace both in short order, but they're comparatively minor expenses, good projects to learn on, and enough to give you the feel when you hit the woods. :)
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

I won't comment on what I've spent because it's hard to determine what was exactly spent what hobby. Many of mine are interrelated.

What I will comment on are how to save money. First thing is do it yourself where ever possible. Now no one expects you to pick up a hammer and forge a sword. For those type of skills it takes a lot of time, experience and yes a vast amount of money. More than you'd ever spend on several bought swords.

Let's start with some on the basics:

Leather work- To start leather work you'll need leather (this is where your initial expense will lay) a hammer or mallet, a punch or stitching chisel some thread sinew or synthetic sinew, some sewing needles and a pattern. For something like pouches you can simply draw your own pattern on paper to the actual size. I prefer graph paper but any paper will do. Look at a couple of online patterns before drawing your own.

The leather you'll have to buy. The best way to buy leather when starting out is be open to colors and thickness. You're on the learning curve so this activity is to teach you about leather and stitching not to produce an award winning item.

Hammer or mallet- a wood or plastic headed mallet is the best as your stitching punch or chisel won't slid around like a metal headed hammer. In the case where all you have is a metal headed hammer, take a piece of scrape leather and tie or glue it to the striking surface on your hammer, this won't allow for slipage when striking a punch or chisel. You'll have to reapply the leather if it's a large project but for small projects once you've applied the leather to the surface it should suffice.

Punches and chisels- Finishing nails after you sharpen them will work fine for this purpose. To make a multi prong chisel, take a thick dinner fork, beat it flat, cut or grind off the handle 2" above where it widens for the prongs, sharpen the tines from one side (think chisel) and your done.

This is just a few ways to start without a large expense. I'll post more later. Basically think of what you have laying around or can be bought cheaply that can be used or slightly altered to do the task of a more expensive items.

Think clothes pins for clamps and you'll get the idea.
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

Oh yeah - my first leather sewing tools were just like that - my dad's carpentry hammer, my mom's heavy sewing needles, a flattened fork for spacing, and a nail for punching holes. You can go a long way with improvisation.

Peter - I wish I'd known about that "leather pad on the hammer face" trick! It would have saved me no end of frustration and finger owies! :)

(Also, I think a lot of Urthgard's incredible leather kit is sewn from an old leather jacket or the like that he got at a goodwill)
Udwin
Vendor

Re: How Low Can You Go?

Post by Udwin »

When considering the Designer’s Paradox, I personally have always opted to pick 'I Want It Cheap' and 'I Want It To Be Right' (which means that I ‘pay’ in terms of time, not money.) In short, because my family is not only already crafty and self-reliant, but also hoarder-y, materials are often buried, forgotten, and not missed when appropriated and put to better use.

Items that are not easily purchased (or would be prohibitively expensive if purchased from a craftsman--braintan, woven cordage, &c.) were created slowly by cultivating the necessary, specialized period skills (tanning, weaving, &c), or if outside my current skillset (advanced blacksmithing--custom belt-knife, spearhead &c), were acquired by trading something I CAN do--quality handsewing and leatherwork.
-Find out if any family members (grandparents, cousins, aunties, &c.) knit or handsew. Ask for kit items for birthdays/holidays in lieu of purchased consumer goods.
-Secondhand stores can be effectively ‘mined’ for linen, wool, and animal furs.
-*Never* buy anything full price:
-Fabrics-store has deals on specific colors and weights of linen—join their mailing list, know what you need, wait until it comes up on sale, and then pick up doggy bag remnants to make the shipping cost worth it.
-Train your eyes to look for ‘manager’s special’ markdown stickers at grocery stores to find dried fruit, ‘exotic’ organic dry goods, &c.
-Do a little 21st century hunting&gathering/‘urban foraging’ and you never know what you will find!
Personae: Aistan son of Ansteig, common Beorning of Wilderland; Tungo Brandybuck, Eastfarthing Bounder, 3018 TA; a native Man of the Greyflood, c.850 SA
Udwin
Vendor

Re: Beorning's Budgetry

Post by Udwin »

The following is what I’ve tallied up for my common Beorning kit. Underlined are the bigger purchases/investments...i.e. the ones to really be patient for and make sure they're right the first time! The nice thing about this persona is that metal items are--from the text--few and far between, so I didn't have to buy any 'ranger-y' buckles, swordbelt hardware, &c.

*wool tunic : $12 ea - only 1 yd of fabric for a tunic; I have a light, medium and heavyweight for different seasons=$36 total
*2 loincloths: $2x2 - wool scarves from thrift store

*Iron Age ‘bog shoes’: Similar could be purchased on etsy for $100 (‘ghillies’) - I made mine from a few sq ft of dad's leather stash. Work on toughening up your feet, and you can save a big chunk of change if you don't need shoes! ; )
*Felted boots : cost nothing but time and $10 for felting needles - Raw wool from a farm I used to work on.
*wool leg-wraps: $12? - picked up from a Soviet reenactor group on f.b.
*braintan leggings (not necessary but good for travel): 2 small deer or maybe 1 XL deer - costs me nothing but time (I tan with roadkill deer and dumpster eggs). Would be expensive for someone who doesn't tan.
*braintan winter shirt: ditto the above, except more time (4 hides). NOT an item for beginner’s kit.
*wool kyrtle: $20 - fabric store had going-out-of-business sale; 2 yds of ½-off suiting wool
*Hood: wool from secondhand shop shawl ($4) + <1 yd linen (remnants from other projects)
*Mittens: fur jacket from secondhand shop ($6) + braintan seconds.

*sleeping mat: $0 - gathered cattails
*linen sheet: $3? - thrift store curtain
*blanket: $65 eBay (inspect before buying!) No need for a cloak, when used with iron pennanular brooch (gift from a friend)

*Backpack: $10? - 1/2 yard of heavy linen
*kit bags:
-yard each of red and blue ticking = $14 ($7/yd)
-cram, hygiene, gather bags: <$5 - linen from thrift store jumpers.
-leather fire bag: $0 - made from scraps from leather master I apprenticed to (work-trade)
-fire steel: made when I blacksmithed at a historic site several years ago (i.e. I actually got paid to make this item!)
-round tin for dubbin: $2
-bristle toothbrush $8
-plain lye soap: 50 cents - made at my work
-washcloths: $2x2

*food/eating:
-dried fruit & jerky: free (dumpsters/roadkill)
-nuts: grown from family trees.
-spelt flour: $2.50/lb
-acorn flour: gathered/processed
-honey: local prices vary.
-cheese: $4
-spoon: hand-carved. A similar spoon made by an etsy artisan would run perhaps $40-50, which is about what I paid for the two hook knives I use to make it. But by buying tools instead of end-product, I have ‘taught myself to fish’ instead of buying a fish.
-noggin cup: carved (with hook knives^) from scraps after I trimmed a birch tree at one of my schools for community service.
canteen: $20; carrier: only time (homemade nettle strap, scrap goatskin & braintan)
brass trade kettle: family had a spare, Crazy Crow sells similar size for ~$50

*‘Zipper’ belt pouch: made from pigskin scraps and a stick of hazel I grew.
*Sash: time. (ex-SO gave me a bunch of wool yarn for Christmas one year; + family’s spare inkle loom.)
*Belt knife: time (Dad used to be a blacksmith; did a work-trade with him for some handsewing)
*Bow/arrows: made by me from osage stave and hazel shoots. Roadkill turkey/goose fletchings.
*Spear(s): shaft came from ash scrap I picked up at a woodshop/lumberyard I worked at; spearhead forged by dad (work-trade for winter shirt I handsewed)

By my count, for pure purchases alone, I'm at around $234, somehow. Keep in mind, a lot of that has been for materials that I am still making use of. Some stuff is unnecessary for a beginner's kit (ex a plain wooden spoon works fine); for now, just think about the basics!
Personae: Aistan son of Ansteig, common Beorning of Wilderland; Tungo Brandybuck, Eastfarthing Bounder, 3018 TA; a native Man of the Greyflood, c.850 SA
Melthrist
Dúnadan

Post by Melthrist »

Wow, thanks for all the replies and the wealth of knowledge you've all shared! After reading through what everyone has said I now realise that I can extend (my very minimal!) budget to great ends if I make things myself. Well, now I've got countless projects I can try thanks to all of you!
A Elbereth Gilthoniel
silivren penna míriel
o menel aglar elenath!
Na-chaered palan-díriel
o galadhremmin ennorath,
Fanuilos, le linnathon
nef aear, sí nef aearon!
Elwindil
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Elwindil »

I picked up a few patterns for my kit from mccall's website last year, still haven't gotten round to them yet because of other expenses. However, they did have them on sale and they'll be reused quite a bit, at least the clothing patterns. I doubt I'll need to make more than one of each of the pouches and other things that I've got from those pattern sets, however after I get them made and figure out the logistics of working in leather I might make them for others if anyone likes the look or wants the items in question. I just need to buckle down and save up for materials and tools. As for how much I've spent so far...well, as I've only got my blades...I've spent well into the 500 dollar range for two swords and some knives, one of which was purchased just recently from our own Eric C, and I'm just going to say that it has fast become one of my favorite pieces, it's light enough for what I needed it for, without being so light that I forget where it's at, and the handle is contoured perfectly so I always know right where the edge is at, something that's important when you're using sharp objects. I'm still in the process of making the sheath for it out of some scraps of a tree I helped bring down, I've taken a hiatus from it until I can get the proper tools instead of trying to do the work with just a few knives and no saws and chisels. If you're handy with tools, you can make your own bow even from local trees, there's tutorials on how to do it online, and there's books out there that can walk you through it as well. I know locally here where I am, osage orange is what was used by the native americans, at least in this area. Most of what you'll acquire will be skills and knowledge, because being a ranger isn't just about the kit and the gear you have, it's about knowing how to navigate and survive in the wilderness of your area. At least, that's something that I've come to realize. Yes, the gear will make you look the part, but the skills and knowledge is what will set you apart from the regular cosplayers.* Much of the knowledge and skills I have are things that I've picked up over the years, and I'm rusty on quite a few of them for various reasons, but the knowledge is there even if the ability is lacking.

*Disclaimer: All of this is just one guy's opinion, take it for what that's worth.
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

How much money have I spent on my kit?

Howzabout "How much money have I wasted en route to my current kit?"

In short, I'll echo the sentiment mentioned several times already: Do it yourself, with accurate materials. Real linen, real wool, real leather, and (perferably) handsewn. Not because I'm elitist...but because every time I made something with ANY sort of shortcut in the materials or methods, I've turned around and been forced to replace it with something higher quality, which would function better. If I could take back all of the stupid purchases and wasted time, I'd have been done (and much richer) a long time ago.

Trick is, I couldn't have made my kit the way it is now without all those mistakes and earlier projects to learn from first. Couldn't sew like I do today, wouldn't have developed the appreciation for the patience required without first doing it the quick way, etc.

In short...don't plan anything super long-term. Your tastes will change, and so your kit will expand and morph. Just live in the now, and get crackin'.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
caedmon
Balku'npâ

Post by caedmon »

Like Greg & Udwin, I've been making the kit for 10 years and have cycled through much more expensive stuff, but my current soft kit, excluding shoes & cloak, has cost me less than $50. With those it comes up to $220. I am also all about upcycling and that affects the cost calculations as well.

The most expensive part being the new linen for my underwear and undertunic. Most my current wool is from garage sales or thrift store finds which are highly dependant on luck & persistence. The rest was bought in 90's and has been been recycled through several costumes & kits, or out of the bargain rack at fabric.com at $4 a yard.

One of the nice things about our particular flavour of Ranger reenactment is that, due to Andy's influence, Army blankets are sought after rather than shunned. Additionally depending on age the color varies greatly, going form olive drab to 'jedi' brown. Keep your eyes open.

Shoes were bought and cost $110, I'm working on a new set that should all told cost me about $10.
The cloak is problematic. I bought the fabric new over 20 years ago. It has been several things, and is now pieced together as cloak. The originial 4 yards of Melton cost me about $80. Especially for a starter cloak I'd go with $5-$10 army blanket.

Underwear:
Linen Braies: 1/2 yard new linen $5
St. Louis Shirt (Undertunic) 3.5 yards new linen $30

Layer 1:
14th c. Split Hosen - thrift store wool $2
Herjolfness #43 tunic - garage sale army blanket $5

Layer 2:
Herjolfness #33/43 Mashup Cote - garage sale army blanket $5

Outer layer:
Shoes- Boots by Bohemond Medieval Boot $110
Cloak- Upcycled - original cost $80
Hood- Thrift Store Wool $2
-Jack Horner

----------------------------
Impression: Cædmon Reedmace | bronze founder living in Archet, Breeland. c. 3017
Melthrist
Dúnadan

Post by Melthrist »

Ok, thinking of going to a few op shops/second hand stores soon so will report back if I find anything.
A Elbereth Gilthoniel
silivren penna míriel
o menel aglar elenath!
Na-chaered palan-díriel
o galadhremmin ennorath,
Fanuilos, le linnathon
nef aear, sí nef aearon!
Udwin
Vendor

Post by Udwin »

Thinking back on my own path, I realized that it was over a full year after getting into these pursuits before I decided on my personas. But that time wasn't wasted: the first six months, I was busy finding and making generic trekking gear that would be appropriate for any persona--blanket, tumpline, cookpot, and Lots and Lots of drawstring linen pouches.
This early stage is a great time to learn or hone your handsewing--by the time you've made a dozen simple bags (which you can use to carry your firekit, sewing notions, cordage, hygiene needs, various foodstuffs, &c), you'll be 'leveled up' and ready to tackle a simple hood or other simple piece of garb!
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

Oh - pouches is a perfect idea for sewing practice!

I've been thinking Melthrist that you're actually in a position where I wouldn't necessarily say knock yourself out on clothing accuracy at this point. If you can get a hold of good linen or wool, great: but since you've got a couple big growth spurts ahead of you and a fairly modest budget, if there's someplace you have to cut corners, that's the place to do it I think.
Taurinor
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Taurinor »

Udwin wrote:But that time wasn't wasted: the first six months, I was busy finding and making generic trekking gear that would be appropriate for any persona--blanket, tumpline, cookpot, and Lots and Lots of drawstring linen pouches.
This early stage is a great time to learn or hone your handsewing--by the time you've made a dozen simple bags (which you can use to carry your firekit, sewing notions, cordage, hygiene needs, various foodstuffs, &c), you'll be 'leveled up' and ready to tackle a simple hood or other simple piece of garb!
Elleth wrote:Oh - pouches is a perfect idea for sewing practice!

I've been thinking Melthrist that you're actually in a position where I wouldn't necessarily say knock yourself out on clothing accuracy at this point. If you can get a hold of good linen or wool, great: but since you've got a couple big growth spurts ahead of you and a fairly modest budget, if there's someplace you have to cut corners, that's the place to do it I think.
I completely agree with what they said. Focusing on hard kit may be the best use of your time/money right now - pots/pans, canteens, pouches, and the like should be pretty height-universal. Cotton isn't great for outdoors-wear, but thrifting a sturdy cotton curtain or sheet might make for an inexpensive way to make a tunic that you'll grow out of in a year or so anyways. A tunic will also serve to hide modern pants and undershirts, so you can use something from your closet and don't have to spend as much time/money replacing those regularly.

I'd also recommend holding off on getting your dream footwear until you finish growing - "period" shoes are expensive! Winingas/leg wraps can do a good job of hiding modern footwear, especially plain leather shoes or boots.

You could make a cloak from a wool blanket (either by simply pinning the blanket or using the Bocksten/watch cloak pattern discussed often on this forum), so long as you are okay with it getting shorter (relatively) as time goes by!

When you go thrifting, don't limit yourself to the men's section. I've found linen drawstring pants in the women's section that could be used with little or no modification (depending how much the zipper offends you), and you can get quite a bit of linen or wool from a dress or overcoat. Purses are great for scavenging leather and buckles for pouches (just make sure it's real leather, not vinyl).

I don't know if you've read this already, but if not, check out Udwin's Premium Advice for Newcomers. You may also want to check out (shameless self-promotion) the Basic Kit/"Getting started" list I wrote and the excellent feedback other folks offered on it.
- Ned Houndswood, Breelander
Richmond Fantasy-Inspired Hiking and Camping (on WordPress and Facebook)