Sunday afternoon miscellany

For all of the Talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Sunday afternoon miscellany

Post by Elleth »

I got out a bit today and had a grand time out. Still not in full rangery clothing yet, but I had a bow, had some dogs, and had a grand time. Things I learned...

* This is a weird time of year. This spring is a warm one, but as all the hardwoods are still in bud, there's no shade anywhere but in the pines. I can imagine a light linen hood or even hat might have been nice. Mostly I just tried to stick to the piney part of the forest as much as I could.

* I'm making great progress on my 2017 goals - my weekday cardio is no great shakes by lots of y'alls standards I'm sure, but I wasn't huffing and puffing on the steep hills this year, so - WIN! Also my archery is getting better. I'm taking shots at torso-sized stumps very confidently out to 15-ish yards, and pretty confidently out to 20-ish. I lost only one arrow, and that was when it skipped off the top of the target and took a right angle up the hillside into leaf litter and brush.

* My blouse is just not suited for straps: quiver and waterskin were a real pain on my neck. I can imagine a collared jerkin might have to be an addition sometime soon. I *really* need to prioritize some "boots tall and supple" though. Between thorny pains sneaking into my shoes and a bizarrely out of place rosebush in the middle of the forest, my feets and shins are hating me right now.

All told a lovely time out! And after mumbledy-mumble years, I finally feel like things are starting to come together. Woo! Onward!!
pine-forest.jpg
pine-forest.jpg (165.19 KiB) Viewed 7058 times
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Re: Sunday afternoon miscellany

Post by Greg »

Sometimes these are the best outings. Low stress, no priorities...just being out.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Taurinor
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Taurinor »

Glad to hear you're getting out and about in kit!
Greg wrote:Sometimes these are the best outings. Low stress, no priorities...just being out.
Agreed! They can be some of the most informative, too, at least for me - if I don't have set goals, I find I'm more likely to explore and experiment.
Elleth wrote: My blouse is just not suited for straps: quiver and waterskin were a real pain on my neck. I can imagine a collared jerkin might have to be an addition sometime soon.
A hood might help with that, as well, if you just need something between the straps and your neck to prevent rubbing/chafing. When I put my gear on, I'll usually put up my hood, put on and arrange the various shoulder straps, then pull the hood back down (if I don't need it up). That keeps the hood available and keeps a layer of cloth between my neck and the straps.
- Ned Houndswood, Breelander
Richmond Fantasy-Inspired Hiking and Camping (on WordPress and Facebook)
Udwin
Vendor

Post by Udwin »

In the woods with dogs and a bow in hand? Sounds like a delightful jaunt! Things have finally got fully green and springy here, and alas I'm stuck indoors writing papers for class, grrr!
Taurinor wrote:When I put my gear on, I'll usually put up my hood, put on and arrange the various shoulder straps, then pull the hood back down (if I don't need it up). That keeps the hood available and keeps a layer of cloth between my neck and the straps.
Yup, here too (at least in the winter when I need the hood).
Personae: Aistan son of Ansteig, common Beorning of Wilderland; Tungo Brandybuck, Eastfarthing Bounder, 3018 TA; a native Man of the Greyflood, c.850 SA
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Udwin wrote:
Taurinor wrote:When I put my gear on, I'll usually put up my hood, put on and arrange the various shoulder straps, then pull the hood back down (if I don't need it up). That keeps the hood available and keeps a layer of cloth between my neck and the straps.
Yup, here too (at least in the winter when I need the hood).
Me three.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.