Renaissance style guitar

For all of the Talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Elwindil
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Renaissance style guitar

Post by Elwindil »

https://www.harpkit.com/renaissance-guitar-kit.html Dunno if any of you good folks have seen this before, but if there's anyone out there that plays and wants to have one but doesn't want to spend the kind of scratch to buy one pre made, here's a nice kit that seems to fit the bill. they've also got a few other things that might be suitable for any musicians interested in having a middle earth style instrument.
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Re: Renaissance style guitar

Post by Elleth »

Cool!

I think that's where Eledhwen got her lyre kit from! As I recall she was quite happy with it.

IIRC there's a list of instruments played at Aragorn's coronation that seemed a little later period than I typically picture in Middle earth - the only one I recall is the viol. I do wonder what else is floating around Gondor making people happy. :)
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Taurinor
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Taurinor »

Elleth wrote:IIRC there's a list of instruments played at Aragorn's coronation that seemed a little later period than I typically picture in Middle earth - the only one I recall is the viol.
The Lord of the Rings, Book VI, Chapter 5: The Steward and the King wrote: And the City was filled again with women and fair children that returned to their homes laden with flowers; and from Dol Amroth came the harpers that harped most skilfully in all the land; and there were players upon viols and upon flutes and upon horns of silver, and clear-voiced singers from the vales of Lebennin.
Huzzah for the Udwin's Material Culture Database!
- Ned Houndswood, Breelander
Richmond Fantasy-Inspired Hiking and Camping (on WordPress and Facebook)
Elwindil

Post by Elwindil »

slightly off topic, I just made an offer on an epiphone les paul 100, so I'll be paying for that as soon as they accept the offer...which means I can learn to play a stringed instrument, and then transition to making them *laughs softly* that'll be fun
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

That is AWESOME!
The world needs more luthiers.
I do kinda envy you guitar guys. Fiddle and harp are all kinds of cool, but don't make the hop to the modern world quite so well. Still fun though. :)

Taurinor - thank you!
Hrm.. viols, flutes, harps, silver horns - that's not nearly so late-period as I was remembering. Very cool!
Elwindil

Post by Elwindil »

I'm just a guy that has a passion for making things, and I like the idea of making small runs of handcrafted instruments and other wood projects. I used to do a lot of stuff like that in high school, made a few small mirrors with shelves, a couple candle sticks a chess board and a dish rack thing that my mom wanted. there's something about working with wood that I find soothing. Not really sure if I can explain it, but there it is.
Kortoso
Haeropada

Post by Kortoso »

Looks like a cittern.
There are no safe paths in this part of the world. Remember you are over the Edge of the Wild now, and in for all sorts of fun wherever you go.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

That's awesome!

And Elleth - I feel like maybe you're remembering the description of the Dwarves' instruments from the Hobbit? There were mentions of things like clarinets, as I recall, which I find rather anachronistic sounding (though admittedly, I don't know anything about the history of the clarinet - so maybe it really is quite old... TO WIKIPEDIA!)
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Taurinor
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Taurinor »

I've got a buddy in my local crew (Patrick, for those who went to the Southeast Ranger moot) who makes instruments occasionally. His primary physical artistic expression is blacksmithing, but he can turn his hand to most things and he likes to work with wood when it's too hot out to fire up the forge. He's also one of those folks who understand and interact with the world through music, so it only makes sense that he has started making instruments. He primarily focuses on traditional Scandinavian instruments; this is a Finnish/Sami kantele he made (and traded to Ringulf at the moot):
kantele.jpg
kantele.jpg (187.76 KiB) Viewed 17520 times
The soundboard is poplar and the frame is cherry. The wooden bracket at the bottom (or "ponsi", according to Wikipedia) is sweetgum (a bit of a tree that needed to come down).

His instrument-making has been hit or miss, though, as most things are in the self-teaching process. That was his first go at it; his second fought him every step of the way, so we set it on fire at a camp out. He's working on a different style of instrument now, but the name escapes me.

If that has piqued anyone's interest, he's got a Facebook page for his crafty endeavors.
- Ned Houndswood, Breelander
Richmond Fantasy-Inspired Hiking and Camping (on WordPress and Facebook)
Kortoso
Haeropada

Post by Kortoso »

There are no safe paths in this part of the world. Remember you are over the Edge of the Wild now, and in for all sorts of fun wherever you go.
Padraig

Post by Padraig »

This is the two string jouhikko I just finished its a pine frame with Padauk soundboard and a blood wood tail piece
IMG_1537.JPG
IMG_1537.JPG (79.16 KiB) Viewed 17383 times
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

Yes, Musicmakers is where I got my lyre kit, as well as a bowed psaltery kit. Also hardware for a large hammered dulcimer and a harp. I don't get the kits any longer these days, although I do get their hardware pretty often. The only kit I'd really consider getting now is the hurdy-gurdy....expensive and unlikely, sadly, since I love the instrument.

Through making the lyre I met the man whose work Musicmakers derived their lyre design from. It was based on a Tartessian lyre carved into a stone marker. If you look up Tartessian Lyre on YouTube there's a gentleman who plays the larger version of that lyre with 15 strings, I think, and a rawhide 'soundboard'. That thing is heavenly. I am in the early stages of making one of those. Also, Michael J. King makes lyres, historical types, and sells the plans, sometimes kits. I have spoken to him a number of times in consultation with the 6th century lyre I am building.

Under construction as well; the aforementioned hammered dulcimer, a harp, a Native American style drone flute in the key of 'G', a flute in the key of F#, and the bowed psaltery. Busy girl.

I may work on a bouzouki at some point. What I get most often now, from various sources, are plans for instruments, bills of lading, etc. I am learning to design my own instruments from scratch with a bit of help for the aforementioned gentlemen.

Enjoy! :)

Eledhwen the Green
Nandalad!
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

Oh those are lovely!

Travel harp is next year, travel harp is next year...discipline discipline discipline :)
Kortoso
Haeropada

Post by Kortoso »

Welcome Padraig! I love lyres!