Trail occupations?

For all of the Talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Ursus
Amrod Rhandir

Trail occupations?

Post by Ursus »

This is a topic I've been pondering for some time. This is aimed at rangers really but all are free to jump in. We have a lot of discussions about kit and gear but not why we carry it in regards to our personal roles and methods of function. Say you were striking out on the trail with a party your fellow rangers on mission that will require all areas that a ranger might encounter. There is a possibility of a bit of combat, a lot of scouting and information gathering including the possible need for several of the party to enter a town. Let's call the entire scout a two week venture all told.

Now the question. What would your strong points and weaknesses be in the party? No need for humbleness here, just literally what are the best skills you have to offer that will aid the party in its movement, security, and the overall ranger specific needs it may encounter.

I'll start off. My two biggies are that I'm good with overall security and tracking.
In regards to security I'm a first rate and well rounded combatant and have a good intuition for when things need looking after. My skills as a tracker are also very solid and on par with my martial ability more or less. I tend to track everywhere I go as a kind of game, even in urban settings to a degree. Tracking is really the art of deduction and paying attention in the environment you find yourself in. I'm also a decent field medic. Best position for me to be in on the move is usually point or directly behind point.

On the flip side I'm a terrible camp cook. This is something I've been meaning to improve on. A friend and fellow trekker once quipped that it was possible for a carrot to taste worse just from me chopping it lol. None the less I'm better of as a set of hands or doing fetch and carry work here.
Also I'm not the one you would want to go in to town or a village. To say the least I'm diplomatic but a bit errr....blunt.(think Gimli in the film saying "I guess at that concludes negotiation's")
"Lonely men are we, Rangers of the wild, hunters – but hunters ever of the servants of the Enemy."

“My cuts, short or long, don’t go wrong.”
Elwindil
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Re: Trail occupations?

Post by Elwindil »

Physically due to injuries I wouldn't be keeping up with anyone on a trailhead or march, but I do know how to cook quite well, even with limited ingredients and I can make rudimentary maps. I'm no cartographer, but I can mark landmarks on a piece of paper to keep track of things. of course, I'd imagine most of us can do that sort of thing. I'm a fair hand at combat, but I do need to brush up and relearn a few things. I'd be best at analyzing and forming battle plans though, since that's what I was trained for in the Army. Intel Analyst ftw. *laugh* Aside from that, I have been told that my "sixth sense" is scary good at picking up on danger and anything unnatural, which could be due to just being hypervigilant and extremely observant. A diplomat I am not, so going into town is right out for me. I'm not good with people even though I've tried to learn, I haven't gotten all the nuances of dealing with folks down, and I probably never will.
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Interesting thoughts.

Most of it depends so much on who you're with and how they're equipped. On my trek with Odigan and Udwin this past week, we've been trekking together in pairs or as the three of us so many times that much at camp went unsaid; no one had to take charge to accomplish anything, and everything just kind-of falls into place.

With other groups and/or people, I find myself slipping into somewhat of a directorial role...I wind up "passing out assignments" to help things move smoothly at camp. "Why don't you gather the small stuff while so-and-so processes this bit of tree we've got here so so-and-so can get the fire going? Then so-and-so and I can take care of the shelters while this other dude handles the water situation..." These delegated tasks aren't to make my job easier, but to be more efficient and place people where their personal strengths (and gear) will be best used.

It's something I forget about often because of the repeated trips with these same experienced guys, but most groups upon arriving at a camp tend to just splinter off and all work on their own stuff, or everyone gathers around (we've done it!) one particular part of the greater whole that needs to be accomplished, such as five people working on lighting a fire when daylight is dwindling, and now suddenly you're out of light to find enough wood to last the night, etc.

I'm not sure about all parts of the model you've described, but I know for certain that I would fit very well into the "entering town" role. I have a way with people and words, and my kit can be transformed somewhat into a more common persona quickly, nixing the overbearingly obvious "ranger" appearance that might not be welcome in a town.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Taurinor
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Taurinor »

I am not proficient enough in any area that I would feel comfortable saying that I would be able to offer anything to party of Tolkien’s rangers. That’s part of the reason I don’t portray a ranger (I’m also short and incredibly near-sighted, which makes me pretty much the exact opposite of one of the Professor’s Rangers of the North, physically-speaking*).

When I’m out in the woods with my local group, I tend to fill a few roles. I mend garb for folks who don’t sew – I’ve replaced failed stitching in turnshoe uppers and repaired the standard rips and holes that inevitably appear in tunics and trousers that see hard use, but I imagine Tolkien’s rangers can look after their own kit. I usually cook, but I don’t know if that’s because I’m good at it or because no one else in the group wants to/has much in the way of period cooking gear to use. I tend to be the fastest flint-and-steel fire starter on any given outing, but among a group of Tolkien’s rangers that would not be the case, nor would it be a skill of any note - in a world where fire is the only source of light and heat, everyone is a skilled fire-maker (by modern standards, at least). I also tend to plan most of the group’s events, but those are usually just overnighters in parks or WMAs – nothing even close to a two week journey through true wilderness.

I’m not very skilled with a sword or a bow – I’m working on both, but I don’t expect I’ll ever get anywhere close to the skill of a ranger. I don’t have any formal scouting practice or training, and I don’t really like to talk to people. I manage, but I like to joke that I didn’t put enough points into charisma during my build. If for some reason my Breelander persona was to be traveling with a group of rangers, he (or I? Pronouns are hard when discussing personas...) might be the best person to talk to other average folk, but it would be hard to think of an in universe situation that would result in that happening.

*I don’t want anyone to think that I’m suggesting that folks should allow their physical traits to limit who they portray. I think folks should portray any persona that they find interesting!
- Ned Houndswood, Breelander
Richmond Fantasy-Inspired Hiking and Camping (on WordPress and Facebook)
Ursus
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Ursus »

Greg wrote:Interesting thoughts.

Most of it depends so much on who you're with and how they're equipped. On my trek with Odigan and Udwin this past week, we've been trekking together in pairs or as the three of us so many times that much at camp went unsaid; no one had to take charge to accomplish anything, and everything just kind-of falls into place.

With other groups and/or people, I find myself slipping into somewhat of a directorial role...I wind up "passing out assignments" to help things move smoothly at camp. "Why don't you gather the small stuff while so-and-so processes this bit of tree we've got here so so-and-so can get the fire going? Then so-and-so and I can take care of the shelters while this other dude handles the water situation..." These delegated tasks aren't to make my job easier, but to be more efficient and place people where their personal strengths (and gear) will be best used.

It's something I forget about often because of the repeated trips with these same experienced guys, but most groups upon arriving at a camp tend to just splinter off and all work on their own stuff, or everyone gathers around (we've done it!) one particular part of the greater whole that needs to be accomplished, such as five people working on lighting a fire when daylight is dwindling, and now suddenly you're out of light to find enough wood to last the night, etc.

I'm not sure about all parts of the model you've described, but I know for certain that I would fit very well into the "entering town" role. I have a way with people and words, and my kit can be transformed somewhat into a more common persona quickly, nixing the overbearingly obvious "ranger" appearance that might not be welcome in a town.

I can sympathise. I'm not comfortable outside a leadership role either, I actually consider it a weak point as much as a strong one. By nature I tend to be the go to guy in most circle's.

I find that often times a group that's been together as often as you guys have usually runs itself. But Im assuming a quasi military group like the rangers would at least be loosely organized. In regards to specialized personnel being assigned to a group going on a ranging I imagine it would be similar to colonial rangers. Basically everyone sees to their own kit and foodstuffs and the groups captain handles the missions specifics(inspects gear, details the mission goals and destination, and organizes the party accordingly before departure etc).

Nice answers so far everyone.
Last edited by Ursus on Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:55 am, edited 3 times in total.
"Lonely men are we, Rangers of the wild, hunters – but hunters ever of the servants of the Enemy."

Ursus
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Ursus »

Taurinor wrote:I am not proficient enough in any area that I would feel comfortable saying that I would be able to offer anything to party of Tolkien’s rangers. That’s part of the reason I don’t portray a ranger (I’m also short and incredibly near-sighted, which makes me pretty much the exact opposite of one of the Professor’s Rangers of the North, physically-speaking*)
Even so I'd be willing to bet that Rangers make use of local contacts for information concerning the local goings on when in more unfamiliar country. So maybe not a ranger but possibly one who is sympathetic to their cause.

Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

I doubt I (or rather my persona, I suppose) would ever be on a war party, but I could imagine travelling with rangers if circumstances demanded it. I know I'd be more burden than asset to fast-moving warriors. I can do the stoic "just keep walking" thing though, so there's that. :)

Decent but not artisanal cook whether I'm using hearth or stove, and of course a fair hand with a needle and all sorts of odd jobs. I've got a good head for medicine, decent training (but only passing routine) experience in emergency care, and don't rattle easy when things get serious. I know what That Calm is.

I've a decent head for language, but it's been a loooong time and I'm now simultaneously trying to ease back into both Latin and Sindarin. I can certainly imagine were I born into Middle Earth I'd have also probably picked up both Quenya and older Adunaic rather than the computer languages I've had to learn in the current day.
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

I can shovel a great latrine trench. Does that help ? :P
Ursus
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Ursus »

Peter Remling wrote:I can shovel a great latrine trench. Does that help ? :P
I don't know Peter, that sounds like a pretty crappy job to me :P

SierraStrider
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by SierraStrider »

Ursus wrote:On the flip side I'm a terrible camp cook.
I'd be a good candidate for camp cook. I've cooked everything from spitted squirrel to broccoli quiche on the trail, and have a good feel for improvising meals in general.

I'd also be well suited to scouting and navigating, with my extensive cartographic training, reasonable cardio fitness and uncommon surefootedness.
Straelbora
Haeropada

Post by Straelbora »

My interpretive dance, "Millard Fillmore: A Retrospective," took 4th Honorable Mention at the Muncie Kiwanis' Talent Show, so I'm pretty sure I could liase with Elvish poets and scholars. And female Orcs find me very attractive.
Vápnum sínum skala maðr velli á
feti ganga framar því at óvist er at vita
nær verðr á vegum úti geirs um þörf guma
Hávamál
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Straelbora wrote:My interpretive dance, "Millard Fillmore: A Retrospective," took 4th Honorable Mention at the Muncie Kiwanis' Talent Show, so I'm pretty sure I could liase with Elvish poets and scholars. And female Orcs find me very attractive.

You and Greg have to stop teasing us about your dance abilities. Again I say "video please". :P
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

I made no claims about my abilities, persay...
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

Straelbora wrote:My interpretive dance, "Millard Fillmore: A Retrospective," took 4th Honorable Mention at the Muncie Kiwanis' Talent Show, so I'm pretty sure I could liase with Elvish poets and scholars. And female Orcs find me very attractive.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA....in the Common Tongue :)

Ken
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Udwin
Vendor

Post by Udwin »

Interesting discussion. Non-vocational skillsets on the trail...

I'm decidedly not combat-oriented, nearsighted without my specs, and my camp cooking is generally along the lines of 'put drygoods from food-bag in water, boil until chewable'. BUT I have a really good mind and eye for identifying plants (edible, useful, and basic medicinal), so I suppose I tend to keep the party informed of what trailside nibbles are close to hand (I was constantly calling out 'Berries!' on last week's trek).

I also have a knack for finding scavengable goodies (and imagining the uses they could be put to) and remembering where I see them. The end of a typical urban hike will find me weighed down and pockets bulging with lead weights, coins, nuts & bolts, toy parts, scrap metal, old files, rolls of electrical tape, &c., not to mention food.

And languages and accents have always been a strong suit of mine, so I imagine if I grew up in a multilingual setting I would have an outlet for translation and interpreting between groups. Sindarin, Westron, Dwarvish, and Northern-Mannish would be plenty to keep me busy.

Plus sewing and mending I suppose.
Personae: Aistan son of Ansteig, common Beorning of Wilderland; Tungo Brandybuck, Eastfarthing Bounder, 3018 TA; a native Man of the Greyflood, c.850 SA