Trail occupations?

For all of the Talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Re: Trail occupations?

Post by Mirimaran »

I would volunteer for the old guy who always says, "back in my day"...lol
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

Elwindil wrote:Physically due to injuries I wouldn't be keeping up with anyone on a trailhead or march, but I do know how to cook quite well, even with limited ingredients and I can make rudimentary maps. I'm no cartographer, but I can mark landmarks on a piece of paper to keep track of things. of course, I'd imagine most of us can do that sort of thing. I'm a fair hand at combat, but I do need to brush up and relearn a few things. I'd be best at analyzing and forming battle plans though, since that's what I was trained for in the Army. Intel Analyst ftw. *laugh* Aside from that, I have been told that my "sixth sense" is scary good at picking up on danger and anything unnatural, which could be due to just being hypervigilant and extremely observant. A diplomat I am not, so going into town is right out for me. I'm not good with people even though I've tried to learn, I haven't gotten all the nuances of dealing with folks down, and I probably never will.
What was your MOS? I was an 05K/98K a lifetime ago.

Ken
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Elwindil
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Elwindil »

96 Bravo, intelligence analyst. I know, I know...military intelligence...it's an oxymoron. *laughs* it was a good job, I enjoyed doing it. From what I understand they took it and rolled it into another MOS a few years after I got out.
Ursus
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Ursus »

Udwin wrote:cooking is generally along the lines of 'put drygoods from food-bag in water, boil until chewable'.
Same here. Eating on the trail is more mechanical for me than it is for culinary enjoyment. My big concern is nutrition over taste. That being said I'd like to become a better trail cook for the benefit of myself and others.
"Lonely men are we, Rangers of the wild, hunters – but hunters ever of the servants of the Enemy."

“My cuts, short or long, don’t go wrong.”
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

FWIW, iron vessels are beautiful for being able to get a nice sear on meat prior to throwing in stew fixings and water. Not to say you can't take a separate folding skillet or even just sharpen a stick, but being able to settle an iron vessel in the coals without worrying about solder melting out is a wonderful thing.

Which reminds me, I need to check in on my tiny cookpot commission... :)
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Ursus wrote:
Udwin wrote:cooking is generally along the lines of 'put drygoods from food-bag in water, boil until chewable'.
Same here. Eating on the trail is more mechanical for me than it is for culinary enjoyment. My big concern is nutrition over taste. That being said I'd like to become a better trail cook for the benefit of myself and others.
You and I need to talk. I know you get your salt pork from Turkey Foot...ever since you pointed me to them, I've started working some magic with that stuff. Not quite five-star restaurant status, but for the trail, and for being 100% Tolkien researched, a few simple recipes have become game-changers in my packing and eating routines.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

IF...I was allowed to come along, I am sure I could make myself useful in many ways. Cooking, foraging, hunting/fishing catching or harvesting anything aquatic. forestry chores, camp stuff. fixing or building, even making things (including weapons, traps, and snares) I can dress a wound, stitch a gash and provide most emergency medical treatment one can do in the wild. I would more than hold my own with a bow, a spear, or axe and blade (handled or thrown for that matter) and I move rather quietly (not to Hobbit standards mind you, but not bad for a Dwarf) I could also entertain my comrades around a fire with song or story (if not in the midst of enemy territory.)
Now depending on the town we were trying to infiltrate, I might not be very good at all, however I would not likely tip many off, or give off the vibe that I was a front man for a bunch of Rangers either, and a Dwarf traveling alone with a pack and some tools can go many places overlooked, if you pardon the pun. Making oneself useful and non-threatening can be easier than you think when you are short and jolly. People seem to enjoy talking to me, confiding in me. I enjoy working a tavern common room immensely. You will not see me winning any foot races (except going downhill) and setting the pace of the group would hardly be my forte, but I see very well in the dark, can feel and hear everything around me, being oddly perceptive (they say it's the beard it acts like cat's whiskers) and I know my birds and beasts, their calls, sounds and their tracks. Cartography is more than a hobby for me and I can produce some very convincing....er likenesses of letters and document...just sayin... I suppose you could do worse than to have me along and for most scouts a damn sight better, but understanding one's own shortcomings can be one's greatest strength!
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Ranger Austin
Wayfarer

Post by Ranger Austin »

This is something I've been debating a lot with myself and how my disability will work into my persona. I've got a pretty bad limp, but even the use of my stout cane(which will be replaced with a sturdy staff when money isn't an issue), I am relatively quiet. I used to regularly sneak upon my foster brother and surprise him in the kitchen as a joke. My disability also makes it rather difficult to move swiftly, so in a tussle I may be more of a hindrance than a help unless in particularly dire circumstances. If I were chosen to accompany the Rangers on patrol, I'd make a pretty decent nighttime sentry or picket. I don't sleep too much anyway, and I have a remarkable quality for being extremely still for large spaces of time, and decent lungs. All good qualities in a sentry, no?
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

*amused* Were I present, and I likely would not be, I'd occupy myself by reading sign, listening, and harping when I thought it appropriate.

Ranger-Harper, yep. It's what we do. As Mirimaran once said, keeping the old stories and lessons alive in the lonely dark places along the way.

Eledhwen en' Nandaromar
Nandalad.
Nandalad!
Straelbora
Haeropada

Post by Straelbora »

If my Middle-earth life experiences were to have paralleled my real world ones, I would have travelled far and wide when young and unattached, and picked up several languages along the way.

My knees are getting better (thanks acupuncture!), so I may have a few trail miles left in me, but I am thinking that an innkeeper in the WIlderlands at an inn that serves as a 'refueling station' for Rangers fits right in.
Vápnum sínum skala maðr velli á
feti ganga framar því at óvist er at vita
nær verðr á vegum úti geirs um þörf guma
Hávamál
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Ranger Austin wrote:This is something I've been debating a lot with myself and how my disability will work into my persona. I've got a pretty bad limp, but even the use of my stout cane(which will be replaced with a sturdy staff when money isn't an issue), I am relatively quiet. I used to regularly sneak upon my foster brother and surprise him in the kitchen as a joke. My disability also makes it rather difficult to move swiftly, so in a tussle, I may be more of a hindrance than a help unless in particularly dire circumstances. If I were chosen to accompany the Rangers on patrol, I'd make a pretty decent nighttime sentry or picket. I don't sleep too much anyway, and I have a remarkable quality for being extremely still for large spaces of time, and decent lungs. All good qualities in a sentry, no?
Ranger Austin, might a humble Dwarf, make the suggestion that you try one of my peoples' customs? I carry a walking axe as Gimli and his father Gloin before him. A large body and shorter, older legs can use the steadying effect of a stout handled axe of about 36" or so. If you place upon it a good hawk head or bearded hand axe head and some upholstery tacks along the shaft to help with grip. (I use a few wrought iron rings and a bit of leather,) and of course, I make a well-fitted cover for the head for safety and hand comfort. You will not only steady yourself against an infirm step, but also have weapon to hand at all times and a tool that can help with many tasks. My Fokos, Valaskas, or cuipaga inspired "Dwarven Walking Axe" has it's real-world roots in the shepherd's axe of the Ural Mountains and has been my standard companion on many a trail or ramble. As our Brother, Peter has reminded me there are many instructional videos available on the background and use of such pieces and they are remarkably similar to cane fighting for obvious reasons. As mentioned making your own is not difficult with a CS Hawk or axehead and a sledge handle, but if you desire the Cadilac of Shepard's axes, check out this link:
http://www.walkbyfaith777.com/index.html
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

Eledhwen wrote:
Ranger-Harper, yep. It's what we do. As Mirimaran once said, keeping the old stories and lessons alive in the lonely dark places along the way.

Eledhwen en' Nandaromar
Nandalad.
*sniff* Someone remembered something I said. I am honored.

Ken
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Mirimaran wrote: *sniff* Someone remembered something I said. I am honored.

Ken
More often than you know.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.