Philmont Scout Trek

For all of the Talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Brownno
Dúnadan

Philmont Scout Trek

Post by Brownno »

Hey all. I just got from hiking out in New Mexico at Philmont Scout Ranch. I was out doing the Rayado trek. This trek was 3 weeks long and it was one of the best experiences i have ever had. It is an individual trek. So I went out there alone and met my crew members that range from all around the US. We then hiked together for the entire 3 weeks. The trek was in modern gear which was a little sad. But the trek was amazing since we went from the top of north country to the bottom of south country and we did a lot of miles I don't know the actual mileage but it was over 150. I would recommend this trek to anyone that can go on it. Also if you guys have any questions about it I will to answer it as best I can since we have a few secrets on the trek.
The mountains are calling and I must go.
The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness.
Keep close to Nature's heart... and break clear away, once in awhile, and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods. Wash your spirit clean.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Re: Philmont Scout Trek

Post by Peter Remling »

Sounds like a great time, Welcome Back !
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Quite a trip! Sounds like a great experience.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Harper
Haeropada

Post by Harper »

I am truly glad that you had that experience.

Philmont is one of those places that I still think fondly of these many years later.

On the first night on the way to the opening council fire at base camp, we were walking across grassland. I was just about to set my foot down when I heard rattling. I sort of pulled myself off to the side and barely had a chance to warn the kid behind me. It was an unseen baby rattler (which are supposed to be worse because they inject all their venom when they bite instead of holding some in reserve like the adults). A genuine snake in the grass. I was suprised (obviously) that he was even there with all the foot traffic in the area.

While on the trail to an established camp site which had a Mountain Man theme, some of the staff (in full Mountain Man regalia) were laying in wait and counted coup by cutting off a lock of one kids hair. I guess they wouldn't be allowed to do that today--they probably weren't allowed to do that then! It was a different time.

Our crew also saw the site of a hole in the terrain where a Mountain Man fell and broke his legs. His bones were found there. It is a cautionary tale to the solitary Ranger.

At one camp, we had our bear bag raided by a big Brown Bear that they called Beauregard. The bag was plenty high, but he stood up on his hind legs and jumped. He got a claw into the bag and tore it like paper. He was big! We drove him off by banging pots and pans but not until he got most of our supplies. We built a big fire and stood bear watch in shifts the rest of the night. Being about 14, and sitting unarmed and alone in the middle of a mountain wilderness knowing that a big bear was out there is one of those experiences you just don't forget--especially with the shadows and night noises. We were kind of hungry the next day but were able to make a detour to resupply.

Our crew also went to the working ranch portion which had a cowboy theme. We rode horses and learned how to rope. I was the Crew Leader and I scheduled myself for KP that night. At that site, they had a genuine Chuck Wagon. We grilled and cooked in dutch ovens in long trenches. It was really cool.

When I got home and told my parents about my adventures, my Mother was not pleased. She said that if she knew all that, she never would have let me go. Dad saw that I really grew up that summer.

I loved it--I'm glad to see that you did, too.
Brownno
Dúnadan

Post by Brownno »

Harper we had a chuck wagon dinner too. we were supposed to have two but we showed up late to it and didn't get anything. my crew also didn't see a single bear or any mountain lions. we had a few times hiking at night and we were expecting to see them. We also had many times where we tied up the bear bags that weren't the best. But my dad was also super glad I went. And even my mom was glad she was super against it in the beginning since it is a solo trek. So I had my dad sign everything a parent needed to sign. It worked super well. I would totally do it again.
Keep close to Nature's heart... and break clear away, once in awhile, and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods. Wash your spirit clean.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Those are some absolutely fantastic stories! Closest I ever came to a bear encounter of that type was while I was walking back to my tiny, rented teardrop trailer one night backstage at the Colorado Renaissance Festival, back in 2011, when I spent most of my summer living on-site (a truly miserable experience as these things go). Anyway, it was pitch black and I almost walked right into the darn thing. I was about 50 feet away from my campsite when I saw a huge dark shape shuffling around it. When my eyes adjusted I saw it was a black bear sniffing all around the trailer. I turned tail and booked it into the grounds of the faire, then waited a few hours in a friend's booth before going back to check, and thankfully it had gone. Scared me half to death though, haha. Still, it's not quite the same as being out there in the wild and having one make off with most of your supplies.

Anyway this sounds like a great trek! Any chance of doing it again someday in full Ranger kit? Or would that just be looked on as too dang weird?
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

Oh my gosh those stories are amazing!
Three weeks... I'm envious. :)

Harper... I think that must be why some of the best dudes I've ever met have been Eagle Scouts. There's a lot to be said for getting pushed out where there's not much of a net when you're young.
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Brownno
Dúnadan

Post by Brownno »

I don't think it would be possibly in period gear however cool as it may be it would look very odd and out of place there. I actually plan on trying to get a job there and work at the staff camps or as a ranger. maybe then i will see a bear in my travels.
Harper
Haeropada

Post by Harper »

Thanks Elleth.

As far as period gear, I think that you would absolutely need a wooden pack frame for that kind of trek--or a horse/pack animal. Sure you could do it without one, but you'd feel it with every step and hate it. Sam had one.

Brownno, if you can swing that, it will probably be the best Summer and best job you'll ever have. As far as bear encounters--be careful of what you wish for! Reading about one is very different than when you are in the middle of one.
Greg

Post by Greg »

If you don't take unnecessary debris and distribute the weight well, I'd argue one could easily do 150 miles with a horseshoe roll, no frame necessary.
Harper
Haeropada

Post by Harper »

Greg wrote:If you don't take unnecessary debris and distribute the weight well, I'd argue one could easily do 150 miles with a horseshoe roll, no frame necessary.
Sure a person could do it--but I think that person would regret it. I mean, you want to enjoy and get the most out of the experience, right? A 150 mile trek in the mountains is a lot harder than on more level terrain due to the climbing. Having said all that, I'm sure it has been done.

The other thing to consider is that this is New Mexico. Water weighs 8+ lbs/gal (plus the container) and, at least when I was out there, there were dry camps. Water adds weight quick. Also, those treks typically last 1-2 weeks and you have to carry your food in between resupply points (often several days apart). Since this is an arid mountainous terrain, you need to remain hydrated and eat iron rations--especially since much of the day is spent hiking and climbing. Then there is a bear bag, rope for suspension, etc. These things are necessary out there for an extended period of time.

In my opinion, a ME corret wooden frame which transfers weight to the hips would make a major difference out there. In a flatter, woodland environment with water readily available, I agree that it would not be as important.
Greg

Post by Greg »

I'll give you the road on the local temperatures and water needs. I'm from SoCal, and water scarcity is not fun, but the terrain by itself wouldn't deter me as much as the climate.
Brownno
Dúnadan

Post by Brownno »

I think you wouldn't need a frame depending on how you plan your trek because many days you could plan to go to many camps with a water source. also depending on the snow amount you would be able to get more water. and I think it would be awesome to work out there I just need to apply and being an eagle scout and having done the Rayado trek which helps because on the trek you do many things like a ranger would. SO i believe that if i apply i would get a job.