Anyone "nearby" I could trek with?

For all of the Talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Rowan

Anyone "nearby" I could trek with?

Post by Rowan »

Good day to y'all
Im stationed in Denmark (Northern Europe) and would really love to have some people to share this hobby with, however I can't seem to find any like minded people in my country so I figured I'd ask in here if any of you lovely folk knows of a Danish/scandinavian group who goes on treks and meet up?
Any help would be highly appreciated

Best regards from Rowan
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Re: Anyone "nearby" I could trek with?

Post by Elleth »

Please pardon me if this is one of those "well EVERYONE knows THAT" answers... but have you checked in with one of the living history museums in your country? At least here in the US there's enough crossover of hobbies that even if there's noone AT the museum doing exactly the period you're looking for, they quite likely know someone who does and could point you in their direction.

... they might try to recruit you though. ;)
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Kortoso
Haeropada

Post by Kortoso »

How is your command of the Danish language?
Keyword: Widfaran.
https://bushcraftdk.websitetoolbox.com/ ... et-7933733
There are no safe paths in this part of the world. Remember you are over the Edge of the Wild now, and in for all sorts of fun wherever you go.
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

Elleth we don't really have things like that in Denmark, we have viking era reenactors and medieval fairs but no one who goes camping while doing it ;)

Kortoso - Im a native dane living in Denamrk, so my danish is pretty good ;) Thanks for the link - not really what I was thinking about, but it's along the lines - thank you!!!
Now I just wanna know how you found that? Do you speak danish???
Kortoso
Haeropada

Post by Kortoso »

Rowan wrote:Now I just wanna know how you found that? Do you speak danish???
Nope, I speak Google. :mrgreen:
Years ago there was a group in Scandinavia that used the word "widfaran". Most English-speakers don't understand it, oddly enough.
There are no safe paths in this part of the world. Remember you are over the Edge of the Wild now, and in for all sorts of fun wherever you go.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Good find, Kortoso!

As for the OP's question... I mean, I know I've seen people from Denmark doing stuff like this, but I can't place precisely where I've seen that right at this moment. There are a number of LARP groups in that area that are pretty high-fidelity (like this one: https://nordiclarp.org/what-is-nordic-larp/), and I would be very surprised if none of those folks did any camping or bushcraft. There's also the Hands on History folks (https://www.facebook.com/handsonhistory ... rWw_5jzE5Q) who recently posted a truly phenomenal photo gallery and write-up of a Viking trek they did recently, but they're in Norway.
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

...A lot of the people I follow in who do this sort of thing in Europe seem to be in Norway, honestly. But still... I could SWEAR I've seen some from people in Denmark. If I happen across anything I will definitely let you know!
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

Thank you, I don't mind going to norway.... most beautiful country I've ever seen to be honest ;)
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Once again I am Necro posting but we had a member of the Forum from Finland also did we not?
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen: