Kit pic

For all of the Talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Kit pic

Post by Eledhwen »

This is mostly medieval hunting kit. However, I suspect it would not be out of place in Middle Earth either. I put it here as it contains soft kit and weapons together. Missing from this, for the moment, bearded axe, scramaseax, belt pouches. At some point, when the weather cools, I will get some pics of myself in my wool hunting kit, with most, if not all, of this kit as well.

In this photo; linen canvas arrow bag (arrows inside), felted brown wool hat with badge, bow sock, brown wool hood, linen coif, spear head sheath, thrusting spear, D-section traditional ash longbow with horn nocks, small pouch with extra flax string, stringer, and beeswax, belt with bronze Norse furniture, linen market/pilgrim bag with badge, knife, and hunting horn with baldric.

Some current kit. Image
Last edited by Eledhwen on Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nandalad!
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Re: Kit pic

Post by Peter Remling »

Nice ! Is ha the old MRL Viking spearhead or the larger Hewing head ?
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

I have no idea on the spear head. Friend of mine gave it to me at one Pennsic war. Don't know the origin.

Eledhwen
Nandalad!
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Very nice! Simple, ecffective. No-nonsense. And I dig the bycocket hat.

And yeah, that spearhead does look an awful lot like the old MRL Viking one. I really liked that particular spearhead. Should've grabbed one when they were still available.
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

Learn something new every day. I did not know that hat was called a bycocket hat. :) Unlike the real thing though, this one had no brim at all. It started as a simple head cover with uneven edges. I turned up one end, trimmed them a bit, pinned it and wet it down to massage the felt back into itself in the back...not quite done yet. Just a simple dome felt hat with turned up sides. :) It is very comfortable, breathes well, and is an excellent brown for the forest. Fits well over the coif as well. :) The hat was formed from felted roving over a form.

Shiny stuff. Has the right look though, aye it does.

Eledhwen
Nandalad!
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

The hat was formed from felted roving over a form.
Hunh.. well that's a neat idea. :)
Any idea for what to do with the matted-up bits of fleece the yarn mills won't take? Can they be needle-felted into something useful?

Also - cool! Do you manage somehow to carry both spear and bow at once? Or always leave one at home?
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

I don't know if the bits from milling are useful. If you have enough of it, put it in hot soapy water and add a bit a lanolin, give your hands and fingers the workout of their life, you might could felt it.

Carrying spear and bow...sling the bow in its sock, carry the spear. I also have a bearded axe and scramaseax. For short distances I can carry them both in one hand...the spear is very well balanced. I can carry one in each hand, not much different to trekker poles really...just longer. ;) Here though, I cannot carry the spear out in the forest. They are forbidden to cart about. Like swords.

Eledhwen
Nandalad!