New Beren and Luthien Book, has anyone read?

For all of the Talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

jbook
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

New Beren and Luthien Book, has anyone read?

Post by jbook »

Hello all! Long time no see. I was just curious if anyone had purchased the newly published Beren and Luthien book? How is it? Did you like it?

I have been meaning to purchase a copy, but haven't made it to a bookstore yet.
1c5ef4f2d45dcd4d3a3c6cb565d34d12--lord-of-the-rings-the-lord.jpg
1c5ef4f2d45dcd4d3a3c6cb565d34d12--lord-of-the-rings-the-lord.jpg (55.82 KiB) Viewed 9695 times
Harper
Haeropada

Re: New Beren and Luthien Book, has anyone read?

Post by Harper »

Yes.

I would consider it a work for a true fan or aficianado. If your are a member here, you are one of those.

The book is a mixture of verse and prose. It combines a number of early versions in a reasonably readable format. Some of the older names for familiar characters are used. I found this a minor annoyance but easily glossed over.

I like that the Lay was fleshed out.

There are also some nice color plates.

I do recommend it to members here--the general public might not appreciate it quite as much.
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

I read through it a few weeks back, and then hit Children of Hurin in the days that followed. I'm now reading through the plain complte Silmarillion, and find it stunning how much detail is now present in the full Beren and Luthien. I absolutely loved it.

Granted, the early version that I read first threw me big-time, with the whole talking cat clan thing, but (thankfully) it was canned in favor of the final story, which made Beren a man rather than a gnome (a far more plausible protagonist for a star-crossed lover) and turned it into the sweeping tale we now know and love.

Knowing you...I'd say go for it.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

I'm definitely interested, but as I still have yet to finish the Simlarillion, I have a feeling it might not hold my attention as much as I wish it would.

That said... when you say "gnome"... Didn't Tolkien refer to a certain race of Elves as gnomes? As in, not the diminutive, pointy-hat, beardy, dwarf-like creatures we normally think of, but something closer to Gil Galad, or even more angelic creatures like the Maiar? Or am I completely misremembering?

EDIT: Yep, I thought so. Just looked it up. The "gnomes" eventually became the Noldor.
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Greg

Post by Greg »

Yep, which robs the story of its magic, being that a union between man and a high elf is far more unlikely.
Greg

Post by Greg »

Yep, which robs the story of its magic, being that a union between man and a high elf is far more unlikely.