Aragorn Film Costume Reference

For all of the Talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Manveruon
Thangailhir

Aragorn Film Costume Reference

Post by Manveruon »

Hi all!

I wanted to share this with the forum at large for anyone else here interested in working on a screen-accurate build of Aragorn's costume from the Peter Jackson Lord of the Rings films - or, for that matter, for anyone who wants to use this costume as inspiration for their own original kit. Much discussion has been had about the practicality (or lack thereof, as the case may be) of Strider's film kit and costume, and that can be found elsewhere on the forums with a little digging, but I figure there is enough interest here to make this (hopefully) a helpful resource.

This is my own Google Drive folder, and I have set it to be viewable by anyone who has the shared link (which I will post below). I've tried to put together every single useful photo reference of Aragorn's film costume I have found so far. Some of the photos are screencaps directly from the movies, some are from exhibits or behind-the-scenes features, and some are costume reproductions others have made. Hopefully they will be useful to anyone else who, like me, craves total screen-accuracy, or is just interested in the overall aesthetic of Viggo Mortensen's portrayal of Aragorn.

Cheers!

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing
Last edited by Manveruon on Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Scarxik
Wanderer

Re: Aragorn Film Movie Reference

Post by Scarxik »

Thank you :) this is a great source thumbs up!
“Home is behind, the world ahead, and there are many paths to tread through shadows to the edge of night,
until the stars are all alight.” JRR Tolkien
Harper
Haeropada

Post by Harper »

Thanks for sharing.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Nice, Thanks for sharing Michael !
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

That's fantastic - thanks Manv!

Sometime this winter I hope to get as far as doing that ubiquitous small Gondorian buckle he uses on his quiver... assuming Shockbolt doesn't beat me to it. :)
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Kortoso
Haeropada

Post by Kortoso »

Fantastic!
I always wonder about the resemblance between Strider's grey/faded black shirt and the shirt worn by "The Dread Pirate Roberts" in The Princess Bride.
There are no safe paths in this part of the world. Remember you are over the Edge of the Wild now, and in for all sorts of fun wherever you go.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Kortoso wrote:Fantastic!
I always wonder about the resemblance between Strider's grey/faded black shirt and the shirt worn by "The Dread Pirate Roberts" in The Princess Bride.
It's funny, I was JUST thinking about this myself! The shoulder smocking is strikingly similar. I've often wondered if they did it as a deliberate nod to the Princess Bride.
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Re: Aragorn Film Costume Reference

Post by Elleth »

But is Strider left handed? :mrgreen:
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Elleth wrote:But is Strider left handed? :mrgreen:
Actually in the Two Towers (PJs) outside Fangorn Forest Aragon is shown wearing his sword on the right side. :P

When editing the movie this scene and at least one other was done as a reverse image. Many people who wear a sword may change the hip they wear it on just to even out the weight over long term. This was not the case in the TT, Legolas shoulder harness was also reversed, which is physically impossible due to it's construction. Another time the image was reversed was when Frodos was held by the Rangers. In that scene Frodo is seen between two guards who both appear to be left handed. If you look close you'll seen Frodos' garb is reversed and the guard actors would then be right handed.

It might have happened in other scenes but I havn't watched it in a few years so these are the only ones I remember.
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

The Fangorn shot is certainly the most notorious of them all. I wasn't even aware of the Frodo-Ithilien one.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
robinhoodsghost
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by robinhoodsghost »

Thanks for sharing Ranger...so much detail went into those costumes and much of it was even seen on film.
In the darkest part of Sherwoods glade, in the thickest part of the wood, there are those who say, can still be seen, the ghost of Robin Hood.