Wildland trades of the Breelanders - a note for Taurinor

For all of the Talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Wildland trades of the Breelanders - a note for Taurinor

Post by Elleth »

So in the Yule thread, Taurinor mentioned:
I'm still deciding on an occupation - tailor fits my skill set best, but I'm hoping I can find something in the text to support something a little more outdoorsy/trekking-friendly.
John Seymour's excellent I-cannot-recommend-strongly-enough book "The Forgotten Crafts" actually has some great ideas here I think - both for Taurinor specifically, and all of us generally who want a better picture of life in the Shire and Breelands both. It's written by a near-contemporary of the Professor, also a deep lover of the English countryside, and is full of wonderful illustrations of that life:

john-seymour-forgotten-crafts.jpg
john-seymour-forgotten-crafts.jpg (56.41 KiB) Viewed 7910 times
John Seymour's The Forgotten Arts and Crafts[/url]
(Sold as "The Forgotten Arts," "The Forgotten Crafts" and "The Forgotten Arts and Crafts" - as far as I can tell they're all the same book, just released at different times under different titles)

What immediately came to mind that Taurinor might be interested in was the trade of bodger. It's not trekking per-se, but nonetheless a trade that would get Ned out in the woods for a season at a time. Bodgers would go out into the woods with tools, set up camp and simple lathes, and just turn out chairs and such all season long:
john-seymour-forgotten-crafts-bodger.jpg
john-seymour-forgotten-crafts-bodger.jpg (72.98 KiB) Viewed 7910 times
Other "done in the wildlands" crafts mentioned were coppicing, hurdle making (wattle fencing), rake and hayfork making,broom making, handle/haft making, ladder making, (corn) crib making, peg making, clog cutting, charcoal burning, and basketmaking.

I could easily imagine in the forests around the Breelands a bodger camp would have a couple of their younger, stouter lads patrol for trollsign now and again - where they'd surely occasionally come into contact with Rangers.

Anyhow, just a thought. And again, a strong recommendation for the book, especially as it can be found used on Amazon for a song.
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Re: Wildland trades of the Breelanders - a note for Taurinor

Post by Greg »

Love the book, and an excellent career recommendation.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Taurinor
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Taurinor »

Wow, thank you for the recommendation! That looks like an excellent read. I'll definitely have to look into bodgers - I was actually watching "The Woodwright's Shop" earlier this evening and commented to my wife that I'd like to learn to build and learn to turn on a pole lathe like Mr. Underhill was using (although a bow lathe might be more appropriate for a Breelander).
- Ned Houndswood, Breelander
Richmond Fantasy-Inspired Hiking and Camping (on WordPress and Facebook)
Kortoso
Haeropada

Post by Kortoso »

Seconding that! I love all of John Seymour's writings. Glad you found this one.
There are no safe paths in this part of the world. Remember you are over the Edge of the Wild now, and in for all sorts of fun wherever you go.
Udwin
Vendor

Post by Udwin »

Taurinor wrote:Wow, thank you for the recommendation! That looks like an excellent read. I'll definitely have to look into bodgers - I was actually watching "The Woodwright's Shop" earlier this evening and commented to my wife that I'd like to learn to build and learn to turn on a pole lathe like Mr. Underhill was using (although a bow lathe might be more appropriate for a Breelander).
IIRC, I think Roy had an article in one of the more recent issues of Popular Woodworking with measured plans for a pole lathe...if you don't feel like tracking it down I may be able to dig mine out and shoot some pix to you.

In the same magazine (recent issue) there was also an article on bodgers! (I remembered that apparently they have a characteristic knock-down model of shaving horse they would use.
And (shameless plug) getting the basics of hurdling is easy and fun!
Personae: Aistan son of Ansteig, common Beorning of Wilderland; Tungo Brandybuck, Eastfarthing Bounder, 3018 TA; a native Man of the Greyflood, c.850 SA