Treasures in the mountains! Coin-caches.

For all of the Talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Manveruon
Thangailhir

Re: Treasures in the mountains! Coin-caches.

Post by Manveruon »

I mean, for my purposes, "designated McGuffin" is plenty good enough, as long as it provides some impetus for members to garb up and get out there questing - especially if they can practice practical skills along the way.
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

You could cache a good many things without too many issues. A waxed sack placed in a stone lined crevice on the side of a hill will work for several years. Sharpening stones arrow heads, a small knife and a small pot will not be any worse for wear. Dip the arrow heads and knife blade in wax, this will decrease the rust issue. If the pot or fry pan is seasoned*, it shouldn't rust either. Flour and jerky will last longer than you think if you place grains like rice or oats/barley in the bottom of the canister of clay or glass before sealing it with wax. The grains will absorb any moisture, leaving the food stuffs dry and preserved.

* seasoning a pot is a traditional way of preparing cast iron cooking vessels. You take the pot/pan coat the inside with animal grease or vegetable oil (Crisco works well) and bake the pot for 45 minutes or so at 350 degrees F. Do this several times, reapplying the grease each time. The grease bakes into the pot/pan which has the double purpose of making the pot non-stick and prevents rust from forming. To clean a seasoned pot after use just wipe it with a damp cloth preferable with warm water.
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Wow, we could all do some "Ranger Caching" Rather than simple GeoCaching. My Brother in Law got me interested in GeoCaching, he is a truck driver and does it all around the country. I will have to get him involved with this as a hobby, it is so much more meaningful than picking up a little troll doll or a keychain!
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Will Whitfoot
Dúnadan

Post by Will Whitfoot »

SierraStrider wrote:
Manveruon wrote: ...Little trinkets seem like the best option. A pewter cast of one of Elleth's stars or Thorin's key from the Hobbit Movies would be the most likely candidates for what I'd hide. Any sort of costume jewelry would serve..
I like the idea of Thorin's back-door key, but please, not the film version! In the book it was described as a small silver key, with intricate wards.
"Also," went on Gandalf, "I forgot to mention that with the map went a
key, a small and curious key. Here it is!" he said, and handed to Thorin a
key with a long barrel and intricate wards, made of silver. "Keep it safe!"
"Indeed I will," said Thorin, and he fastened it upon a fine chain that
hung about his neck and under his jacket.
I always thought of it as maybe two inches long and quite delicate looking. The monstrosity they used for the film was completely absurd. After all... Gandalf was given it by Thrain while he was imprisoned in the dungeons of the Necromancer... and it would need to be small enough to hide easily on one's person, even when being searched.
"Your grandfather," said the wizard slowly and grimly, "gave the map to
his son for safety before he went to the mines of Moria. Your father went
away to try his luck with the map after your grandfather was killed; and
lots of adventures of a most unpleasant sort he had, but he never got near
the Mountain. How he got there I don't know, but I found him a prisoner in
the dungeons of the Necromancer."
"Whatever were you doing there?" asked Thorin with a shudder, and all
the dwarves shivered.
"Never you mind. I was finding things out, as usual; and a nasty
dangerous business it was. Even I, Gandalf, only just escaped. I tried to
save your father, but it was too late. He was witless and wandering, and had
forgotten almost everything except the map and the key."
I have some vintage dies for making some small intricate keys... I always thought they might work for this....
Will Whitfoot
Dúnadan

Post by Will Whitfoot »

SierraStrider wrote:
Manveruon wrote: ...Little trinkets seem like the best option. A pewter cast of one of Elleth's stars or Thorin's key from the Hobbit Movies would be the most likely candidates for what I'd hide. Any sort of costume jewelry would serve..
I like the idea of Thorin's back-door key, but please, not the film version! In the book it was described as a small silver key, with intricate wards.
"Also," went on Gandalf, "I forgot to mention that with the map went a
key, a small and curious key. Here it is!" he said, and handed to Thorin a
key with a long barrel and intricate wards, made of silver. "Keep it safe!"
"Indeed I will," said Thorin, and he fastened it upon a fine chain that
hung about his neck and under his jacket.
I always thought of it as maybe two inches long and quite delicate looking. The monstrosity they used for the film was completely absurd. After all... Gandalf was given it by Thrain while he was imprisoned in the dungeons of the Necromancer... and it would need to be small enough to hide easily on one's person, even when being searched.
"Your grandfather," said the wizard slowly and grimly, "gave the map to
his son for safety before he went to the mines of Moria. Your father went
away to try his luck with the map after your grandfather was killed; and
lots of adventures of a most unpleasant sort he had, but he never got near
the Mountain. How he got there I don't know, but I found him a prisoner in
the dungeons of the Necromancer."
"Whatever were you doing there?" asked Thorin with a shudder, and all
the dwarves shivered.
"Never you mind. I was finding things out, as usual; and a nasty
dangerous business it was. Even I, Gandalf, only just escaped. I tried to
save your father, but it was too late. He was witless and wandering, and had
forgotten almost everything except the map and the key."
I have some vintage dies for making some small intricate keys... I always thought they might work for this....
SierraStrider
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by SierraStrider »

Will Whitfoot wrote:
Sounds lovely. I could probably turn something out on my 3D printer to cast in pewter, but have very little experience with that workflow so far.
Will Whitfoot
Dúnadan

Post by Will Whitfoot »

Manveruon wrote:
Will Whitfoot wrote:Get to Silverton, go up the Animas River canyon. Past Eureka you will need 4wd. You can get up onto the shoulder of Treasure Mountain either from the Picayne Gulch Road on the south side, or via Placer Gulch on the North. Placer Gulch has a very interesting restored mill building you can tour. (free) Appx NAD-84 UTM loc, 13-S, 272700E, 4199220N. Can get more detailed if necessary. Park as high as you can. The cache is up in the rocks about 20m to the right of the steel fencepost that marks the easy trail to the top of Treasure Mountain.
BRILLIANT. You, sir, are an adventurer's best friend!
So... just wondering if anybody has gone up there to look for this? There is another one in the Ruby Range in NE Nevada. I plan to go out that way again this summer, and if they are not found by then, I plan to retrieve them myself and re-cache in even more difficult locations.
Taylor Steiner
Haeropada

Post by Taylor Steiner »

Love this idea! Any reason to get out and cover country is a good reason. But this is cool! One day...
Frodo lives!
Knucker

Post by Knucker »

This is a great idea!

I think I need to make a cache near me. I've no idea how many Rangers are here in the UK, but it would be interesting to see a thread here with folks posting pictures of themselves with the contents of Ranger caches as part of a quest.

Knucker
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Knucker wrote:This is a great idea!

I think I need to make a cache near me. I've no idea how many Rangers are here in the UK, but it would be interesting to see a thread here with folks posting pictures of themselves with the contents of Ranger caches as part of a quest.

Knucker

That is a real interesting idea even for a small Ranger moot. A few items and a ranger hides the cache. No clues are given and the other rangers can "track" the ranger to the hiding spot. The trackers can do it singly or in a group. The ranger that hides the items gets an hour head start and has that hour to hide the cache. The hider needs less time as tracking can be time consuming and no one wants to be caught away from camp after dark.
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Knucker wrote:This is a great idea!

Knucker
I am here in the UK and could certainly cash something (don't know what) in the Peak District, if anyone is near enough to go after it :?:
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
Knucker

Post by Knucker »

Iodo wrote: I am here in the UK and could certainly cash something (don't know what) in the Peak District, if anyone is near enough to go after it :?:
Well the Peak District isn't a million miles from me, so I should be able to head over occasionally.
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Then when I have finished the collage year and no longer have assignment deadlines to think about :mrgreen:
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Will Whitfoot
Dúnadan

Post by Will Whitfoot »

Will Whitfoot wrote:
Manveruon wrote:
Will Whitfoot wrote:Get to Silverton, go up the Animas River canyon. Past Eureka you will need 4wd. You can get up onto the shoulder of Treasure Mountain either from the Picayne Gulch Road on the south side, or via Placer Gulch on the North. Placer Gulch has a very interesting restored mill building you can tour. (free) Appx NAD-84 UTM loc, 13-S, 272700E, 4199220N. Can get more detailed if necessary. Park as high as you can. The cache is up in the rocks about 20m to the right of the steel fencepost that marks the easy trail to the top of Treasure Mountain.
BRILLIANT. You, sir, are an adventurer's best friend!
So... just wondering if anybody has gone up there to look for this? There is another one in the Ruby Range in NE Nevada. I plan to go out that way again this summer, and if they are not found by then, I plan to retrieve them myself and re-cache in even more difficult locations.
Just so you know... I went back out a couple weeks ago... almost a year after placing the cache... and it was still there. So I went ahead and recovered it. Apparently $400 worth of coins was not enough for anybody to bother going to look for it, even with explicitly precise directions. So... I'll add more stuff to it and place it in a much more difficult location. A quest is not supposed to be easy!
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Will Whitfoot wrote: Just so you know... I went back out a couple weeks ago... almost a year after placing the cache... and it was still there. So I went ahead and recovered it. Apparently $400 worth of coins was not enough for anybody to bother going to look for it, even with explicitly precise directions. So... I'll add more stuff to it and place it in a much more difficult location. A quest is not supposed to be easy!
I can't believe know one went for it, if I was close enough I most certainly would have :mrgreen: