I have an idea for a pouch

For all of the Talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Elwindil
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

I have an idea for a pouch

Post by Elwindil »

I've been thinking of making a pouch with the oiled leather I have using a linen interior, any thoughts?
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Re: I have an idea for a pouch

Post by Elleth »

It's absolutely a done thing. I've got several purses with a linen lining, and I line my snapsacks.
BUT... the linen will wear out faster than the leather, and eventually it will rip - usually along the seamline. The rougher you are on the pouch the faster that will happen, of course.

I still think its worth it in some applications - it keeps leather ook off the contents, it can reduce friction in and out of the bag, and it can provide a nice light background so it's easier to see things you're trying to fish out of the pouch.
It's just a question of whether you think it's worth the tradeoff of having to remake a thing down the line.

I wouldn't personally line a belt pouch I was going into all the time, and certainly not one I was keeping things like flint and steel in - but for stuff mostly in contact with fabric goods and not in constant stress, I think it's great.
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Elwindil

Post by Elwindil »

I was thinking of something like a haversack or snap sack that was used mostly for food goods and things of that nature, rather than a belt pouch, the whole thing made of leather with just a heavy linen lining.
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

A few thoughts:

* heavy linen (like a canvas) would indeed last longer. Good idea for something you'll be accessing a lot.

* If your thought is that this bag is specifically for food - at least if you're thinking meats or anything potentially greasy or drippy - then you might want to stick with *just* linen. It will be far easier to clean up when you get home. (OTOH, if you keep breads in there and it's not waterproofed, you might end up with a bag full of porridge after the first hard rain. )

* Remember resources "in period" are more precious than they are to us.
I'm a little guilty of overdoing linings myself, but I think on the whole the people of Eriador don't expect anywhere near the same standard of finishwork as those of us do who were raised on cheap Chinese labor and machine-made fabrics.
Eriador's a weird case though: my thought is fabric is noticeably more precious than you'd expect even in a vaguely medieval-Euro context, and leather cheaper than you'd think. At least for Dunedain.

So if the reason is just to make a bag feel nicer/more finished, AND the bag would be used in a wilderness setting, AND would be holding potentially destructive/messy things like bacon and cheese... odds are it would be unlined leather or (slightly upmarket) unlined linen canvas.

YMMV, of course.
:)
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Elwindil

Post by Elwindil »

I was thinking more for breads and gathered herbs and such things as would need protection from the elements, rather than meats and such. for that, I've got a completely different idea, in a waxed linen bag.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Two thoughts, first make the lining removable so you can wash it out. If that won't work for you make the lining a 1/2" larger on all dimensions than needed. Having the extra material will put less stress on all the seams and will last longer.
Elwindil

Post by Elwindil »

I had considered making the lining removable, giving it a spot around the top edge where I can lace it to the leather body through some stitched eyelet holes with leather lace.
Just wasn't sure as to the authenticity of such construction.