New Guy Looking for Group

For all of the Talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

kleenur
Wanderer

New Guy Looking for Group

Post by kleenur »

Hello All,
Thank you for adding me to this forum. I stumbled across the Rangering community because I didn't know it existed so, I figured I'd make one. I started by looking for a domain name (rangersofthenorth.com). I found that not only was the domain taken, but it was exactly the sort of group I'd been looking for my whole life. The only problem was that they were an 8 our drive away. I joined them anyway, and they pointed me to a facebook group for this forum, and now here I am. I am a 40 year old teacher, father, and aspiring metal smith. I like working with my hands and learning woodcraft. I would also love to try learning Sindarin. I am an avid D&D player, and a writer. I am about to add HEMA training to my fitness regimen after the first of the year. What I'd really like is to find some Rangers who live closer to me so I have someone(s) to Ranger with. Anybody out there from NH, VT, or ME?
"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost."

-J.R.R Tolkien
Harper
Haeropada

Re: New Guy Looking for Group

Post by Harper »

Welcome Ranger!
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

Welcome! You've arrived with quite a resume! :)

I'm afraid members are kind of sparse on the ground in New England, strangely enough. The membership center of gravity is in the Midwest, with other pockets in Colorado and the Southeast. I'm in NH, and I've heard through a friend of my husband's that there's a HEMA group down in Nashua.

I've been thinking of going to the SCA's "Birka Market" in Manchester this January to see in there's some like minded folk about as well.
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Welcome :mrgreen:
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Welcome to the Forum !

I'm in NY, so yeah a bit far.
kleenur
Wanderer

Post by kleenur »

Elleth wrote:Welcome! You've arrived with quite a resume! :)

I'm afraid members are kind of sparse on the ground in New England, strangely enough. The membership center of gravity is in the Midwest, with other pockets in Colorado and the Southeast. I'm in NH, and I've heard through a friend of my husband's that there's a HEMA group down in Nashua.

I've been thinking of going to the SCA's "Birka Market" in Manchester this January to see in there's some like minded folk about as well.
Where in NH are you? There's actually quite a bit of SCA between NH and VT. I've been to Birka before, and Panther Vale. Those are both SCA events. There's a fantastic event in Peru, NY that I've been meaning to go to. I have some friends who are active in Mountain Freehold (Northern, VT), and though I like SCA it isn't quite right for me. I'm joining a HEMA group in Lebanon, NH so, that's around. It's funny, I lived in Minneapolis for about a decade, and wasn't involved in anything, now I move back and WANT to be involved, and everyone's in the Midwest!

-J.R.R Tolkien
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

We're a couple hours south of you it looks like - about 45 mins west of Manchester. SCA's never been exactly my cup of tea either, but "birds of a feather" - at least there's some similar interests. I've run into some wonderful calligraphers at the Concord chapter, but it's hard to make schedules line up to actually get out and meet folks. That's life as an adult I suppose. :)

Also - I envy you your proximity to the White Mountains!
robinhoodsghost
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by robinhoodsghost »

Welcome Ranger Kleenur!
In the darkest part of Sherwoods glade, in the thickest part of the wood, there are those who say, can still be seen, the ghost of Robin Hood.
Odigan
Vendor

Post by Odigan »

Greetings! I recently came across this group, located in Exeter, NH., that may be of interest to you.

https://www.facebook.com/draugarvinlands
Kortoso
Haeropada

Post by Kortoso »

Kleenur, you may be close to the SCA forester guild. I believe they operate in your woods.
https://scaforesters.wordpress.com/
There are no safe paths in this part of the world. Remember you are over the Edge of the Wild now, and in for all sorts of fun wherever you go.
kleenur
Wanderer

Post by kleenur »

Wow! I had no idea about this. Thanks! They don;t seem to be in NH yet, but they are right across the river in VT as well as in ME.

-J.R.R Tolkien
Taurinor
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Taurinor »

Ah, Kortoso beat me to it! The Forester's Guild has a large FB group for everyone (https://m.facebook.com/groups/204654773027118) and a couple kingdom-specific ones. It doesn't seem to be a terribly well-known guild yet, but it's still pretty young.
- Ned Houndswood, Breelander
Richmond Fantasy-Inspired Hiking and Camping (on WordPress and Facebook)
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Welcome, Kleenur! I'm glad you found the forum! I think I was the one who pointed you in this direction from the Rangers of the North FB group!

I understand having a lack of rangers in your area. I live just outside of Denver, CO, and when I first started haunting the forums here I was dismayed to discover that there didn't seem to be any active rangers around here, despite Colorado having a famously outdoorsy population, lots of gorgeous wild places to roam, and frankly, a surprisingly huge geek-culture. In the end, I wrangled a friend or two into joining me on some hikes and adventures, and now we've got several folks who sort of rotate in and out of the "ranger thing." Long story short, if you can't find a group nearby... make one! :mrgreen:

However, until such a time as you find other rangers or decide to found your own company, it's good to have you around here to chat with all of us like-minded nerds!
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
kleenur
Wanderer

Post by kleenur »

Welcome, Kleenur! I'm glad you found the forum! I think I was the one who pointed you in this direction from the Rangers of the North FB group!

I understand having a lack of rangers in your area. I live just outside of Denver, CO, and when I first started haunting the forums here I was dismayed to discover that there didn't seem to be any active rangers around here, despite Colorado having a famously outdoorsy population, lots of gorgeous wild places to roam, and frankly, a surprisingly huge geek-culture. In the end, I wrangled a friend or two into joining me on some hikes and adventures, and now we've got several folks who sort of rotate in and out of the "ranger thing." Long story short, if you can't find a group nearby... make one! :mrgreen:

However, until such a time as you find other rangers or decide to found your own company, it's good to have you around here to chat with all of us like-minded nerds!
Thanks! The odd thing is that though there doesn't seem to be 1 large group close by me there are several smaller groups surrounding me. I also think that it woudl be possible to build a pretty strong community around rangering between NH & VT with my various circles of woodsy nerds. I can float around within several of the "kind of" rangers groups, make contacts, and build from there. Once I have all of my kit squared away I might make some sort of a web page or blog or something.

-J.R.R Tolkien
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

sounds awesome. :)