End-of-the-year Musings

For all of the Talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Re: End-of-the-year Musings

Post by Elleth »

I think that's a wool crepe. The first time I tried to make a kirtle, that's what I ended up with, though I didn't know quite what to expect. It's an interesting fabric to be sure.

http://www.bblackandsons.com/fabrics-wo ... 68_71.html

Edit - this is the fabric I got from that source:
merf-wool-crepe-texture.jpg
merf-wool-crepe-texture.jpg (68.72 KiB) Viewed 14125 times
To be honest, I wasn't partial to it at the time, but it's grown on me. Maybe I can pick my old kirtle apart and turn it into something cool. :)
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

I can say with absolute certainty that it is not a knit, and with relative certainty that it is not a crepe. I believe it is closer to a plain-weave tweed, or something in that general ballpark.
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

That being said - Guilem - that cable-knit cloth is BEAUTIFUL!
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Kortoso
Haeropada

Post by Kortoso »

Manveruon wrote:I can say with absolute certainty that it is not a knit, and with relative certainty that it is not a crepe. I believe it is closer to a plain-weave tweed, or something in that general ballpark.
Almost a Jacquard weave.
There are no safe paths in this part of the world. Remember you are over the Edge of the Wild now, and in for all sorts of fun wherever you go.
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

I guess the question, then, is what is the intent for the wool? I'm picking up a pretty heavy boiled wool for mine, but it's for winter. It would be too heavy for a kyrtle/gown...too much fabric there for the weight to be practical. I didn't think my surcote's broadcloth was too heavy for a gown, though...what weight was the BC you passed over?
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

I guess the question, then, is what is the intent for the wool? I'm picking up a pretty heavy boiled wool for mine, but it's for winter. It would be too heavy for a kyrtle/gown...too much fabric there for the weight to be practical. I didn't think my surcote's broadcloth was too heavy for a gown, though...what weight was the BC you passed over?
Hrmm - I think in the 16-17oz range? I did just run across a lovely 10 oz green tweed I've my eye on, but I want to mull on things a bit before splurging. I've not entirely settled on a design, and may change my mind on color.

We'll see.
Mithdir
Wanderer

Post by Mithdir »

Manveruon wrote:That being said - Guilem - that cable-knit cloth is BEAUTIFUL!
Yeah, it’s been on my Etsy favourites list for a while now. I still need to acquire/make a warm blanket for my kit and this might just end up being the one, though my number one pick would probably be the Stansborough Travel Blanket (http://www.stansborough.co.nz/stansboro ... owers.html). I own their Hobbit Scarf made from the same wool as the Fellowship cloaks from the films and it’s just beautiful.
"Short cuts make long delays"
Taurinor
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Taurinor »

Guillem Clapés wrote:I still need to acquire/make a warm blanket for my kit and this might just end up being the one, though my number one pick would probably be the Stansborough Travel Blanket (http://www.stansborough.co.nz/stansboro ... owers.html). I own their Hobbit Scarf made from the same wool as the Fellowship cloaks from the films and it’s just beautiful.
Ooo, that's lovely! I worry it might be a little small for sleeping rough at 1.35m x 1.8m, though. The smallest one I use is about 1.6m x 2.2m (American twin size) and while I have used that one paired with my cloak on cold nights, I much prefer my queen-sized (about 2.3m x 2.3m) one to really bundle up in cold weather. That being said, the Stansborough blanket could be handy to cover up a more mundane blanket for camp aesthetic purposes.
- Ned Houndswood, Breelander
Richmond Fantasy-Inspired Hiking and Camping (on WordPress and Facebook)
Harper
Haeropada

Post by Harper »

To echo Taurinor, I wouldn't go below a queen size blanket for actual field use. I suppose you could use two twin size but that means extra bulk and money.

You can make a "Bushcraft Burrito" (similar to what they wrap newborns in):

You can often find good deals at second hand stores (especially in the Summer).

I think that these Banderita Blankets made out of Alpaca Wool are some of the best out there for field use. They are very affordable, too. I don't think that people in North America haven't caught on to them yet. You just missed their 30% off sale. I wouldn't be surprised if they have a similar sale after Christmas. I like them better than my Hudson Bay Blanket. They are lighter and yet warmer than sheep wool. That translates to more warmth with less bulk. They are aslo extremely soft to the skin.

In my opinion, the Superfine Blanket shown at the bottom would make an excellent Elven Cloak.
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

I also suspect you're going to find the stansborough blanket overly thin for actual use outdoors, but I don't know your climate or intended use. That said, I've a scarf in the Fellowship fabric and love it. :)

By any chance, have you had a chance to play with the thick wool blankets used by outdoorsmen of years past - Hudson Bay, Early's of Witney, Pendleton, etc?
(I know they were a big thing here in North America during our frontier period - do you know what your shepherds and such used?)
Mithdir
Wanderer

Post by Mithdir »

Elleth wrote:I also suspect you're going to find the stansborough blanket overly thin for actual use outdoors, but I don't know your climate or intended use. That said, I've a scarf in the Fellowship fabric and love it. :)

By any chance, have you had a chance to play with the thick wool blankets used by outdoorsmen of years past - Hudson Bay, Early's of Witney, Pendleton, etc?
(I know they were a big thing here in North America during our frontier period - do you know what your shepherds and such used?)
I haven’t really looked into it yet. The blanket is something I plan on getting in the future, but it will probably take a while, maybe next winter.
The thing is, here in Catalonia it never gets really cold (unless you’re high in the mountains). Even now in winter, temperatures rarely drop below freezing point until January nights.
When I eventually start doing my research I will keep in mind your tips on blanket size, so probably no Stansborough :P
"Short cuts make long delays"
Straelbora
Haeropada

Post by Straelbora »

Guillem Clapés wrote:
Elleth wrote:I also suspect you're going to find the stansborough blanket overly thin for actual use outdoors, but I don't know your climate or intended use. That said, I've a scarf in the Fellowship fabric and love it. :)

I haven’t really looked into it yet. The blanket is something I plan on getting in the future, but it will probably take a while, maybe next winter.
The thing is, here in Catalonia it never gets really cold (unless you’re high in the mountains). Even now in winter, temperatures rarely drop below freezing point until January nights.
When I eventually start doing my research I will keep in mind your tips on blanket size, so probably no Stansborough :P
I've found for both Ranger and historical Viking reenactors with whom I converse (in person or via the internet), one thing that is often not realized by folks on either side of the Pond is that European climates, until you get to Scandinavia or Russia, are generally milder than what North Americans are used to, and that Europeans often don't realize the extremes of temperatures that much of North America gets, especially from the Plains to the East Coast. And the parts of Europe that get cold, snowy winters like much of North America rarely suffer the extreme heat and humidity that our summers bring.
Vápnum sínum skala maðr velli á
feti ganga framar því at óvist er at vita
nær verðr á vegum úti geirs um þörf guma
Hávamál