End-of-the-year Musings

For all of the Talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

End-of-the-year Musings

Post by Greg »

This evening I was reading "I sit by the fire and think" from Bilbo's writings in my chair in our new home. I'm surrounded by boxes full of our worldly crap, still packed.

We had our first snow last week, though it's long since melted. I made some dramatic leaps and bounds forward with my kit completion leading up to this season's newsletter, and am shopping for winter Wool. These things combined made something abundantly clear in my mind:

I think I'm quite ready for another adventure.

Anybody else? Where are you headed?
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Udwin
Vendor

Re: End-of-the-year Musings

Post by Udwin »

Bilbao? Two threads ago you confused California and Catalonia, and now you're peppering Spanish cities into posts on your own? : P

I guess I'm getting in the conditioning phase, but I did beat the bounds on a few walking adventures yesterday. First one probably 5 miles all barefoot, crossed over to proxy-Buckland on the footbridge, scrambled down a rockslide, fended off a large dog with my stout stave, and gathered my Yule-decorating supplies (spruce bough and mistletoe, and holly for pinning over doors and windows to keep the Dark away). Windy in the low 50s. Dressed in 1940s wool shirt and linen trousers rolled up; modern hat but my hood would've been much warmer.
And then probably another 2-3 miles last night, using Another walking bridge, to go out for drinks (it's actually easier for me to park in one state and walk across river to another state, for the nightlife). Mid 40s. Total mileage forthcoming. Wish I'd had my stave!
Personae: Aistan son of Ansteig, common Beorning of Wilderland; Tungo Brandybuck, Eastfarthing Bounder, 3018 TA; a native Man of the Greyflood, c.850 SA
Greg

Post by Greg »

I hate writing on my wife's tablet. HATE.
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Greg wrote: I think I'm quite ready for another adventure.

Anybody else? Where are you headed?
Well, that's a difficult question :lol: right now I have a lot of collage work to do, not necacerily a bad thing since this includes finishing my forge. I'm still making kit and almost everything I asked for for Christmas is rangerish, my family think I'm mad but I don't care :P im gradually getting better at making stuff, yesterday I made a pair of trousers for the first time ever, and I'm quite pleased with the result. I wouldn't say I've had an adventure yet but I've been out walking in varying degrees of kit quite a few times now. Last weekend I got quite a few funny looks when in kit with a plastic sledge (I wasn't going to take it but couldn't resist) and i discovered throwing snowballs with a sling which is a bit of fun most of the time but if there compacted hard, is bordering on a powerful weapon and a good solution to not being able to find rocks under snow :mrgreen:
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
Udwin
Vendor

Post by Udwin »

Udwin wrote:a few walking adventures yesterday. First one probably 5 miles all barefoot...And then probably another 2-3 miles last night...Total mileage forthcoming..
Clearly I need to add "estimating distances" to my new year's resolution list! Thanks to handydandy googleearth, first trip was 6.67 miles, and second was 4.5! No wonder my feet are a little sore...wild trails are so much easier on them than pavement!
Personae: Aistan son of Ansteig, common Beorning of Wilderland; Tungo Brandybuck, Eastfarthing Bounder, 3018 TA; a native Man of the Greyflood, c.850 SA
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Greg, how I do love your contemplative posts of this sort.

For my part, I've been battling my own inner balrogs lately (on and off for at least a year, if I'm being honest), and that has kept me somewhat sequestered away from the rest of society - which is making me more than a bit stir-crazy. So with that in mind, I certainly agree - I am quite ready for another adventure!

I'm hoping that if I can get my head just a bit clearer I will have a few events and projects forthcoming that warrant sharing here - not least of all some new garb and perhaps one or two small overdue obligations I've been slowly catching up on - but I'm really looking forward to doing a winter trek or two if possible. Hence the abovementioned garb. I still lack a nice wool tunic, and that's really holding me back. I have the wool, now I just need to start sewing.
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

Oh yes.

Winter here tends to be more of a "cuddle up inside with dogs by the fire and work on neglected projects" season, but yes... it would do me good to get a proper trek in this winter.
So far it's shaping up to be a cold and snowy one - it's my understanding snowshoes are an Americas thing. Anyone know about pre-contact European solutions?
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Greg

Post by Greg »

Manveruon wrote:I have the wool, now I just need to start sewing.
Right behind you! I found the wool...now I just need to make the budget match the material. New wool tunic time is ALWAYS happy time.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

In your opinion, would waxed linen thread be appropriate for hand-stitching on a wool garment? Or would I do better to try and find wool thread?
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

I think waxed linen is exactly what you want - wool thread (embroidery floss really) just doesn't have the strength for the job. At least that's my experience - once a piece has gone through the fabric a few times it wears straight through and snaps while sewing. I certainly wouldn't trust it for shoulder seams or the like.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Thank you! That was precisely my concern.
Greg

Post by Greg »

Agreed. For my bocksten project, I found a silvery linen thread on eBay that, though lighter than my material, didn't seem out of place. Seller claimed it was its natural color...jury's still out on that, but it worked great.
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

Out of curiosity, what manner of wools are you gentlemen using for tunics? I'm finally getting about ready to sew a proper medium-weight informal gown, but I'm not partial to most of what I'm seeing in the usual places. The broadcloths are too heavy, and worsted seems overly.... thin? even? The latter I think.

Anyhow I'm starting to look through tweeds and think it might be a good direction - but before taking the leap I'd like to know what your experience has been.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

I love tweed! It has a great texture!

For my part, the wools I'm using are sort of unknown. One of the wools I have is a dark green medium-weight coating, and it was picked up a few years ago for me in the LA fashion district by a friend of mine who I specifically asked to find a nice forest or olive green wool. Alas though a burn test reveals it's at least partially a blend. Not sure how much, but definitely at least a little synthetic. Still, looks good and feels good, and it's heavy enough that it should be a lovely insulator for the colder months.

The other material I have is a complete mystery. I think I got it from the bargain bin at my local fabric shop, which is crazy because it is FANTASTIC. Burn tests suggest 100% wool (leastways, there's zero plastic-y melting going on, and it smells like burning hair, sooooo WOOL!), and it has a really cool texture! Below are a couple pics I just snapped of it on my phone, enhanced a bit to show something close to true color. It's a lovely olive green with brownish undertones. It's much lighter weight than the other, but I absolutely adore the texture, and the fact that it appears to be 100% wool.

JIMG1.jpg
JIMG1.jpg (177.28 KiB) Viewed 14233 times
JIMG2.jpg
JIMG2.jpg (213.27 KiB) Viewed 14233 times
Mithdir
Wanderer

Post by Mithdir »

Manveruon wrote:I love tweed! It has a great texture!

For my part, the wools I'm using are sort of unknown. One of the wools I have is a dark green medium-weight coating, and it was picked up a few years ago for me in the LA fashion district by a friend of mine who I specifically asked to find a nice forest or olive green wool. Alas though a burn test reveals it's at least partially a blend. Not sure how much, but definitely at least a little synthetic. Still, looks good and feels good, and it's heavy enough that it should be a lovely insulator for the colder months.

The other material I have is a complete mystery. I think I got it from the bargain bin at my local fabric shop, which is crazy because it is FANTASTIC. Burn tests suggest 100% wool (leastways, there's zero plastic-y melting going on, and it smells like burning hair, sooooo WOOL!), and it has a really cool texture! Below are a couple pics I just snapped of it on my phone, enhanced a bit to show something close to true color. It's a lovely olive green with brownish undertones. It's much lighter weight than the other, but I absolutely adore the texture, and the fact that it appears to be 100% wool.

JIMG1.jpg

JIMG2.jpg
That’s similiar to a listing I found on Etsy while looking for thick wools. They describe it as a “cable knit”. The weaving looks very much like the one in your pictures. https://www.etsy.com/listing/548395828/ ... fav_more-3.
"Short cuts make long delays"