Kicking the new year off right.

For all of the Talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Ursus
Amrod Rhandir

Kicking the new year off right.

Post by Ursus »

Get out and hunt the enemy Rangers. Be safe and get out in it!
Attachments
EF36FB42-3D0F-477F-9721-5B0418FCD125.jpeg
EF36FB42-3D0F-477F-9721-5B0418FCD125.jpeg (153.04 KiB) Viewed 8713 times
"Lonely men are we, Rangers of the wild, hunters – but hunters ever of the servants of the Enemy."

“My cuts, short or long, don’t go wrong.”
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Re: Kicking the new year off right.

Post by Greg »

I concur. Happy hunting!
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Straelbora
Haeropada

Post by Straelbora »

I'm itching to get to my 'playground' this week- kids had a snow day on Friday and MLK day off today. I'm told we've got at leasts a half a foot of snow on the ground, the most in years. Hoping to post photos later this week.
Vápnum sínum skala maðr velli á
feti ganga framar því at óvist er at vita
nær verðr á vegum úti geirs um þörf guma
Hávamál
Elwindil
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Elwindil »

with the weather the way it is here, I won't be getting out into the woods any time soon. too cold and snowy for much of that unfortunately.
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Though it got a bit nippy down here in Southern Ithilien, we, the unprepared for cold denizens of the South, still were out and about.
On Saturday I took a trek from coast to coast and found myself in Clearwater for what is called "TAD" or Trimarian Archery Day. There was, of course, many of the most expert archers the kingdom had to offer, I was not one of them, Though I have some particular skills with a bow, target shooting of this style is not one of them. I do quite well with the bow when hunting or close shooting, or even at moving targets either across the ground, water or up in the air, and rarely fail to fill the cookpot. (motivation being the key factor here, I believe.) Fortunately, though I took up bow and quiver in solidarity with my fellows, I was there to demonstrate and instruct our archers and Rangers, in the "Dwarfworthy" art of Thrown Weapons and in that, I tend to excel.
Axes, of course, are my go-to weapon for any occasion, but large seax knives seem to fly well from my mitts also. I have a set of three 18" x 1/4" steel throwing seaxs, that are, most likely, heavier than my Norse hawks. I have built up to throwing them for rather long durations and they have become a local source of levity among my peers, for they call them my "truck bumpers" though truly I have no "Truck" with any who ridicule my throwing steel!
We also threw the spear and in this too, I have a spear, that works for me that most of my Brothers and Sisters shy from. It is my speasr with it's short, heavy, round bolled shaft, that when thrown, tends to accept a lovely spiral when a certain spin is given it with the fingers upon release. I am not truly convinced that this gives it a Rifled effect, but it does seem to stabilize its short, arched flight to the target and helps me put the pointy end where I hope it will go.
These little gatherings are the way I prepare myself to harass the enemy and teach others to do the same. With that in mind, I will be off doing the same thing next weekend as well. A good start to what I hope to be a much more active year!
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen: