A Busy January

For all of the Talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Ringulf
Naugothrain

A Busy January

Post by Ringulf »

Hello Rangers! I just got back from my third weekend event this month and there were 2 in December right before it! I have done quite a bit of Shooting archery and spent the last two weekends Instructing newcomers in Thrown Weapons as well as running and participating in a few competitions. I have recruited almost 20 individuals for the Forester's Guild that we are starting in our Kingdom, finding out that there really is a great interest in learning these primitive skills and ecological use of our lands and resources. I was elated to try something I had not done before, I have been Riding and doing some mounted Archery, but today I spent some time shooting from the back of a moving chariot driven by one of the other riders. It was an absolute blast! The next time we do it I will have to get some pictures, my wife got a few of the first fella that shot but none of me, ah well. I am somewhat excited about all this activity because I had been in a bit of a slump and it seems that the activity along with the reconnection to this forum has energized me once more. I have a great many long overdue projects to get to and I hope I will be able to get a few of them up on the boards. I just wanted to take a few minutes just to say thanks to all of you. I have received so many little notes and connections over the last year and it has warmed my heart and given me the strength to keep slogging through the mud to get to this point. It is a special place we have indeed that would care for a brother in absence.
2690806TW instruction.jpg
2690806TW instruction.jpg (129.3 KiB) Viewed 14349 times
Last edited by Ringulf on Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Re: A Busy January

Post by Peter Remling »

Wow sounds like you've had a blast. I've never even done mounted archery and no chariots in Westchester that I know of.

You seem to have a more flexible group of Scadians then I've encountered. Up this way they seem to be more rigid and enamored with station.

It's great that you seem to have found so many others interested in the skill sets/

Love to see pics of all of the above.
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Peter Remling wrote:Wow sounds like you've had a blast. I've never even done mounted archery and no chariots in Westchester that I know of.

You seem to have a more flexible group of Scadians then I've encountered. Up this way, they seem to be more rigid and enamored with station.

It's great that you seem to have found so many others interested in the skill sets/

Love to see pics of all of the above.
I have observed that and felt that way in the past when I was not involved in the SCA. I guess it is like any group that is not walking the common path, the mystery combined with the exclusivity can be a hurdle for people. We have tried very hard to change the face of the SCA to be more welcoming, because if people knew how much fun we had and took the leap, they would realize that the contingent they are seeing from the outside are very small and not at all indicative of the true SCA experience. In the SCA my real pet peeve is the lack of immersion. I mean we dress in period garb down to our skivvies then sit around talking about modern life, medical problems, the newest Ipad or video game or some such nonsense. But you can channel that and stick to doing period activities. Archery thrown weapons, Equestrian activity and oodles of crafting. The latest persuit will be primative skills in the Foresters guid. I really look at it as a fantastic place to practice being a Ranger!
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

We all hit rough spots...glad to hear you're coming through one of yours and are the better for it!
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

I was involved in the SCA for about 5 years. Went to Pennsic twice (merched at the second) and was involved in the events I went to. I assisted in the kitchens in those events not sponsored by my canton and ran some activities in the ones our canton ran.

The common were the fun ones, those that had some rank were less approachable and as a rule were less likely to get involved .

The first event I went to was back in your old neck of the woods- Twelfth Night out on the Island. That one was a lot of fun even with January weather in LI. The group from my canton went to a local pub after the event in garb with a couple of newbies from NJ.

In my experience you seem to have a great group.
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Yes, the Live weapons group and the equestrians I hang with are very friendly and fun-loving folks. they, by nature of their personas, are the more common, even with titles. We have a good time but until now it has all been centered around weapons practice, However, I have them very excited about the Forester's Guild that Eric M and Kiriana have tuned me into. It is basically "Historical Merf" and maybe a way of getting people to enjoy and practice the "Ranger Lifestyle" most of them are avid Tolkien fans anyway so making the transition to Merf in addition to the guild is not a huge leap.
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Greg wrote:We all hit rough spots...glad to hear you're coming through one of yours and are the better for it!
Thanks, Greg, Several Rangers sent notes, you among them, several times last year, and it kept me connected and made me realize how much this group had become part of me. I missed it and now It feels good to be back.
robinhoodsghost
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by robinhoodsghost »

I am glad you are doing well my friend, and am happy to see you passing your skills along. Look forward to those pictures.
In the darkest part of Sherwoods glade, in the thickest part of the wood, there are those who say, can still be seen, the ghost of Robin Hood.
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

That's an amazing picture, with the axe in mid air as well :lol: I only just saw it today
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

OMG! Well that just looks like all kinds of fun!
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.