Boromir Bag/Toolroll

For all of the Talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Elwindil
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Re: Boromir Bag/Toolroll

Post by Elwindil »

Elleth, your mention of props flashed a light bulb of memory for me, there's a website called the replica prop forum where they might have more images of things we would be interested in here, they make props from all kinds of shows and movies, and if memory serves there's a sub forum there dedicated to LOTR/Hobbit stuff.
theowl
Vendor

Post by theowl »

Elleth wrote:
edit... I think I also want to make it a bit longer: looking at more reference photos it seems the "tail" is a bit longer/thinner than I thought at first. The downside of working off of screen captures. Now I see why the prop people go buggy. :)

Loop attachment (safest / least historically correct)
Stud attachment (risky in steel / might crumble)
Tab attachment (risky in steel / might snap)
I like the loop attachment. It seems more likely to stand up to being used.
Mithdir
Wanderer

Post by Mithdir »

Elwindil wrote:Elleth, your mention of props flashed a light bulb of memory for me, there's a website called the replica prop forum where they might have more images of things we would be interested in here, they make props from all kinds of shows and movies, and if memory serves there's a sub forum there dedicated to LOTR/Hobbit stuff.
Indeed, I am a member of The RPF and they have some amazing stuff. One of my favourite builds there is Sam’s salt box, very screen accurate and beautifully crafted. But there’s a lot more projects to explore, there are some very talented people there.
"Short cuts make long delays"
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

Okay, progress!

I've got the top plate for the long buckle pretty much ironed out I think, and the frame is pretty much there. (I'd like to tweak the reinforcement on the bow edge some)

The loops I think chew up too much of the meat of the belt itself they'd be based on - I don't think this will be very secure. I could make them smaller, but that means they'll have to be pretty tall/thin to make it through the leather of the belt. I'm tentatively thinking something like the stud/pin design, but with the pins long enough enough to go through the belt blank and stand a bit proud, then have holes near the tips through which wire or something could be passed to lock the buckle in place. ...maybe with a washer plate on the back side? Not sure yet.

Working File, Faramir Quiver Strap Buckle

Anyhow, I should have something ironed out in the next day or so - need to run to work now.
Normally I order a test print in plastic to iron out any necessary tweaks before comitting it to steel, but that does stretch the R&D cycle, on top of steel taking 2-3 weeks to get after placing your order.

What's your client's timeline?
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
theowl
Vendor

Post by theowl »

I'm sure if I explain the process to him he'll be fine with a few weeks. I'm making strider bedroll for him too, so i can focus on that in the meantime. Thanks again!