Boromir Bag/Toolroll

For all of the Talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

theowl
Vendor

Boromir Bag/Toolroll

Post by theowl »

So we never see it on film (that I can recall), but apparently Boromir had a roll-up bag, for toiletries or what have you. A customer has commissioned a replica from me, and I'm wondering if anyone here knows anything about it/has any more pictures. Image
Iodo
Thangailhir

Re: Boromir Bag/Toolroll

Post by Iodo »

Interesting :mrgreen: I'm sorry to say I have atualy never seen that before and can find no information about it online or elsewhere for that matter.
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

Wow!

I'd seen that picture, but never at that resolution before. Very cool.
From the smaller pictures I saw before I'd assumed it was a portmanteau of sorts, but now it looks more like an Edwardian blanket roll cover.

I can say the strap buckle is the same as the one on Faramir's quiver, and the closure straps use the same base pieces as are on Faramir's cloak, Boromir's surcote, and Aragorn's quiver - I've never seen those secondary "leaf" portions however.

And that's all I got.
Cool find! :)

edit - I assssuuuume it was made for the scene where he rides into Rivendell, but I don't think we ever see it on screen.
The photo looks like it's from one of the Appendices on the original deluxe DVD set, but I don't recall seeing it so clearly before.
I do know it's also shown (very very very tiny) as an inserted graphical element in one of the books that came out about the same time as the first trilogy.... "Weapons and Warfare" I think, but it might have been one of the "Art of..." books. Regardless, that's the clearest, best image of it I've ever seen. (And I've looked! )
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
theowl
Vendor

Post by theowl »

Elleth wrote:
I can say the strap buckle is the same as the one on Faramir's quiver, and the closure straps use the same base pieces as are on Faramir's cloak, Boromir's surcote, and Aragorn's quiver - I've never seen those secondary "leaf" portions however.
Yeah, i recognize the hardware from other gear, now I just need to find a source for them :/

Elleth wrote: edit - I assssuuuume it was made for the scene where he rides into Rivendell, but I don't think we ever see it on screen.
The photo looks like it's from one of the Appendices on the original deluxe DVD set, but I don't recall seeing it so clearly before.
I do know it's also shown (very very very tiny) as an inserted graphical element in one of the books that came out about the same time as the first trilogy.... "Weapons and Warfare" I think, but it might have been one of the "Art of..." books. Regardless, that's the clearest, best image of it I've ever seen. (And I've looked! )
I was thinking that too, but I figured they just scrapped it since Boromir already had so much stuff to lug around.

I have the weapons and warfare book, I'll have to check it out.
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

I just checked my references.
p. 158 of W&W, in the "armor" box for Boromir.
Also disc 3 of the FOTR extended edition in the "People of Middle Earth / Fellowship / Boromir" gallery.

But it's all the same picture you already have. :/

Regarding hardware: check out this thread:
https://www.middleearthrangers.org/foru ... =25&t=3582

Basically, your options for that long buckle are:
A. cutting it yourself from sheet stock

B. looking up "White Armor" on etsy and asking him to make one.
EDIT - that would be "White Armour Shop" now: https://www.etsy.com/shop/WhiteArmourShop
It's not presently on his shop page, but he has done very good renditions of the Third Age Gondor soldier's front buckle plate and those ginourmous cloak clasps of Boromir's.

C. looking up (I think?) "Handmade Creations" who make something similar and asking them to make one.
EDIT - That would be "Handmade Revolutions" - note their "buckle #5" and associated plate: http://www.handmaderevolution.org/medie ... d-findings

D. using a kind-of-close one I did for my quiver:
https://www.shapeways.com/product/LQN3V ... d=63417666
(I hate that high price, but shapeways is expensive. You get get it cheaper by buying the frame in steel and fabricating your own tongue. I don't make the tongue available in steel 'cause it cracks so easy. :/ )

I've not seen the short ones available from anyone, though I've been meaning to model them up at some point this year. If it's something you think you'd use, I can prioritize that (I bet Manv would want a couple as well).

Alternately, since it looks like that roll just uses the baseplate, you could just cut them out of thin sheet stock and beat the pattern in with a chisel or something I suppose.

The heavy o-rings look like horse tack, but I don't know that world well enough to guess which part. I'd just peruse a tandy catalog for something similar and tarnish the heck out of 'em.

Finally, I'm betting the construction is something like what you see if you google "blanket roll harness" - just with an added cover.

Edited to add links to vendors.
Last edited by Elleth on Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Elleth wrote:The heavy o-rings look like horse tack, but I don't know that world well enough to guess which part. I'd just peruse a tandy catalog for something similar and tarnish the heck out of 'em.
I've made things in the past with similar metal rings, brass curtain loops work well if you can find plain ones
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
theowl
Vendor

Post by theowl »

Elleth wrote: frame in steel
I've not seen the short ones available from anyone, though I've been meaning to model them up at some point this year. If it's something you think you'd use, I can prioritize that (I bet Manv would want a couple as well).
That looks like the it would be pretty close enough. I'll run it by him and see what he thinks, thanks! Making tongues is easy, the whole buckle not as much. Which short ones are you referring to?
Elleth wrote:
The heavy o-rings look like horse tack, but I don't know that world well enough to guess which part. I'd just peruse a tandy catalog for something similar and tarnish the heck out of 'em.

Finally, I'm betting the construction is something like what you see if you google "blanket roll harness" - just with an added cover.
I have a ton of O rings, So i'm good to go there. We're using a culinary knife roll as an inspiration for what the inside looks like.
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

Which short ones are you referring to?
This one - it's all over Gondor men's kit: Aragorn, Boromir, Faramir - probably others. I assume WETA made it originally for Boromir's leather surcote and then just reused them all over the place. In your tool roll, they're missing the actual buckle frame, but the base plate is still there.
gondor-kit-buckle.jpg
gondor-kit-buckle.jpg (25.04 KiB) Viewed 15843 times
I've got a roughed out version started: it's a simple "do at night when I can't deal with words anymore" task, so it should be ready in a day or two.
Edit - I may also be able to do a closer version of the long "Faramir" buckle frame. I had intentionally avoided straight copies, but since folk want them it might be worth throwing one off. I've modeled enough buckles now that it goes pretty quick.
(I think mine are more practical as real usable buckles, since there's not those extra-wide pokey bits to either side, but I totally get the cosplay side of things wanting straight replicas. )
We're using a culinary knife roll as an inspiration for what the inside looks like.
Cool! Have you (and your client) looked at Greg's thread for some ideas of what might go inside?
Middle-Earth Tool Roll
Elwindil
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Elwindil »

I believe this is also seen in one of the long shots as they're climbing up Caradhras heading to Moria, but I could be mistaken. It's been a while since I've seen the movies and I might be misremembering things.
theowl
Vendor

Post by theowl »

Elleth wrote:
Which short ones are you referring to?
This one - it's all over Gondor men's kit: Aragorn, Boromir, Faramir - probably others. I assume WETA made it originally for Boromir's leather surcote and then just reused them all over the place. In your tool roll, they're missing the actual buckle frame, but the base plate is still there.
Ah that one, I am making a replica of aragorns quiver for him. He likes the "Ranger swordbelt buckle" On your shapeways as a close-enough, but if you have a closer-enough one in the works I might be interested.
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

really? Awesome!

I don't see it reviewing youTube clips, but that doesn't mean it wasn't there.
Also....gosh I empathize w/Boromir so much more than I did when I first watched the film all those years ago.
Human fallibiilty and weakness, mang. :/
Ah that one, I am making a replica of aragorns quiver for him. He likes the "Ranger swordbelt buckle" On your shapeways as a close-enough, but if you have a closer-enough one in the works I might be interested.
I'll have a pretty close replica done I think by the end of the weekend. I've been meaning to make one for ages, since it's not out there yet. For around a 1" strap, I think? Manv- do you know?

Also, I think the bedroll/ toolroll/ whatevs it is may be using the base from the "Faramir quiver" buckle rather than the "Boromir surcote" buckle. I'm not certain, but they're close enough that either/both is easy-peasy. I just need to know desired strap width.
theowl
Vendor

Post by theowl »

Elleth wrote:
I'll have a pretty close replica done I think by the end of the weekend. I've been meaning to make one for ages, since it's not out there yet. For around a 1" strap, I think? Manv- do you know?
In that case, I'll hold off on ordering one for a few more days. 1" looks about right
Elleth wrote:Also, I think the bedroll/ toolroll/ whatevs it is may be using the base from the "Faramir quiver" buckle rather than the "Boromir surcote" buckle. I'm not certain, but they're close enough that either/both is easy-peasy. I just need to know desired strap width.
The top layer definitely looks like the piece from Faramir's quiver. I don't know about the bottom piece though. I'm thinking 1.25" for the bag strap
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

So ... it's coming along:
https://www.shapeways.com/product/8CW48 ... 4fb54ca46b
(unfinished/ don't buy yet!)

That's the smaller buckle-thing on Aragorn's quiver, Faramir's cloak, etc.

Issues I'm still dealing with -
- I think I've about got the right beveling on the "buckle frame" part but it still looks funny. I'm going to experiment with a steeper bevel.
- I'm not certain what to do about the attatchment. On MOST uses it looks like the piece is sewn onto material by looping the thread where the buckle tongue would be - except I think on Aragorn's quiver there is actually a tongue so there most be some additional means of attachment. The original could have studs that one would heat and hammer like rivets, but I don't really trust the shapeways steel to take that without crumbling. I'm thinking of a metal loop on the back of the plate - thoughts?
theowl
Vendor

Post by theowl »

You're awesome! I imagine the originals had prongs underneath that were peened over. For yours, a metal loop is probably the easiest solution.
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

Made a bit more progress last night on the baseplate for the long "Faramir Quiver Buckle" that's used on the flap of that bag.
It's sized for a 1.25" strap.

I think tonight I'll make it a bit thinner and the attachment points a bit longer. Any comments before I finalize it?
(In most browsers you can move 'em all around in 3D preview)

edit... I think I also want to make it a bit longer: looking at more reference photos it seems the "tail" is a bit longer/thinner than I thought at first. The downside of working off of screen captures. Now I see why the prop people go buggy. :)

Loop attachment (safest / least historically correct)
Stud attachment (risky in steel / might crumble)
Tab attachment (risky in steel / might snap)

Once this is finalized I'll add another copy with the full buckle frame, as on that bag and Faramir's quiver. Then I'll circle back around and get that small buckle finalized.