Getting started

For all of the Talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Gærfast
Wayfarer

Getting started

Post by Gærfast »

I grew up on lotr, and have always played rangers in dnd since I was a kid. I want to do this right, start slow and do homework before I jump in and start spending. I have an idea in my head of what the Dunadain look like, but I'd rather buy once, fabricate right. What better way to start than with source material? So today I picked up the Unfinished Tales of Númenor and Middle Earth. Now to dig in .
Harper
Haeropada

Re: Getting started

Post by Harper »

---

Welcome, Ranger!

I'd say that your youth has a lot of common with everybody here.

If you don't already have them, you'll want to pick up LOTHR Weapons and Warfare and The Desolation of Smaug: Cloaks & Daggers if you are looking at kit similar to that in the movies.
Udwin
Vendor

Post by Udwin »

Welcome! Always good to see a new face on the forum.
If you haven't already, the Premium Advice thread will likely be well worth your time. If you're going the 'buy once, buy right' route, be aware that per the designer's paradox, this will likely cost you in either time and/or money.
As far as the northern Dunedain go specifically, you will find that there are barely a handful of references to their material culture, although Unfinished Tales is very useful in giving an idea of their capabilities at the dawn of the Third Age (see Disaster of the Gladden Fields).
Looking forward to watching your progression. Again, welcome!
Personae: Aistan son of Ansteig, common Beorning of Wilderland; Tungo Brandybuck, Eastfarthing Bounder, 3018 TA; a native Man of the Greyflood, c.850 SA
Ranger Austin
Wayfarer

Post by Ranger Austin »

Well met, Ranger! I'm in much the same boat as you, friend.
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Have you seen Manveruon's Middle Earth-Rangers' Handbook, which is very well written and I find it exstreamly helpful. A link to the file can be found here (on the 6th post down from the top):
http://middleearthrangers.org/forum/vie ... 2&start=15
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Welcome! It's a long and tricky journey...I sincerely hope you are about to make every acquisition count! If I could have back all the money wasted on things that 'just didn't work'...I'd be taking my wife out for a VERY nice dinner, with room to spare.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Gærfast
Wayfarer

Post by Gærfast »

Both the Premium Advise and the Rangers Handbook are fantastic. Really makes the hobby as a whole and the group very attainable.
First level ranger.... bring on the kobolds!
Taurinor
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Taurinor »

If you're interested, I took a stab at making a list of the first 10 things a newcomer to the hobby might want to think about prioritizing when building their kit. It's much less detailed than Manv's write-up, and it's my own opinions and your mileage my vary, of course, but some folks in my local crew seem to have found it helpful.
- Ned Houndswood, Breelander
Richmond Fantasy-Inspired Hiking and Camping (on WordPress and Facebook)
robinhoodsghost
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by robinhoodsghost »

Welcome Ranger Gærfast ...I'm sure you will have your ranger kit up and going in no time. Just like life, trial and error are often the best teachers.
In the darkest part of Sherwoods glade, in the thickest part of the wood, there are those who say, can still be seen, the ghost of Robin Hood.
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

Welcome!

Yes, "Plan well, buy once" is absolutely the ideal to hold. It's quite hard to fulfill in practice I think, as in the process of developing a thing you inevitably start changing your conceptions. The perils of "reenacting" an imaginary world. :)

One last thing I've found to be a a mental help - it's obvious once you think about it, but it struck me as an "a-ha" in the moment,while taking a quick jaunt up the trail in street clothes and quiver.

From the distance of the 21st century, all the aspects of a Ranger's gear meld in our mind into somewhat distinct "Ranger outfit" - a whole ensemble.
Hood and boots, belt and quiver - all are components to an outfit.

Within the world from the perspective of the Rangers themselves, I think things are much more mundane.

Conceptually, think "1950's Iowa farmer going hunting." His trousers and shirt are just what he wears working on the tractor or hauling hay. Maybe he's got a favorite flannel shirt for the deer-woods, but it's just. normal. clothes. When he goes hunting, he just throws his regular jacket over his regular shirt and picks up a rifle. There's no distinct "hunter's outfit" in his mind.

Same for our Rangers, I think.

Don't know if it makes sense, don't know if it helps ... but I found it an interesting idea to turn over in my head. :)
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Welcome Ranger! Ringulf...At your service. You have few references outside this forum, but plenty within, so do your research, ask lots of questions and chime in when you see something that tickles your fancy! We enjoy works in progress and lots of pictures so don't hold back! :mrgreen:
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen: