Named weapons

For all of the Talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Elwindil
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Named weapons

Post by Elwindil »

Do we know what the convention was for naming weapons among the various peoples of Middle Earth? As in, how many of them were there, how did they get named, things like that? or is it just an educated guess type situation? I'm asking because I've got a couple blades that could use names and I'm at a loss...any help would be appreciated. :)
Iodo
Thangailhir

Re: Named weapons

Post by Iodo »

Most of the time blades seem to be named after a great deed (example: Sting and Glamdring, meaning foehammer) Also some of the swords were given two names by different races like Orcrist, called Biter by the goblins (again named after a deed). An exseption to this rule is Andúril, flame of the west and most of the names seem to be in Sindarin. I dont think there is a set methord, If you want to name a blade I'm sure you could come up withomething cool just through playing with words.
Hope this helps, I expect other people here have plenty to add.
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
Straelbora
Haeropada

Post by Straelbora »

It seems to me that only weapons associated with kinds, gods, and grand historic deeds gain names.

I'll also bet that a lot of people would name personal weapons, the way that people name their cars and boats.

If you follow "Game of Thrones," you also know that there's another school of thought regarding the naming of swords, as voiced by the character the Hound.
Vápnum sínum skala maðr velli á
feti ganga framar því at óvist er at vita
nær verðr á vegum úti geirs um þörf guma
Hávamál
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

I assume you've seen this Elwindil?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kTNOUr6aSU

I assume there are a number of other named arms floating around Middle earth, that simply weren't important enough to the narrative to mention. Those of elves and Dunedain seem to all be named in SIndarin, if that helps.

Is there a particular name you'd like translated?
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Elwindil

Post by Elwindil »

I haven't come up with a name yet, that's where I'm sort of stuck...I have two longer swords that I would like to give names to, but again I'm sort of lost on that kind of thing.

Any help would be much appreciated, so if you folks have some thoughts, ideas and input that would be great.
robinhoodsghost

Post by robinhoodsghost »

There is a tradition in naming all sorts of inanimate objects in our world...sailing ships for example. I can see why Tolkien & many other fantasy authors have named weapons in their stories. I think it comes from the fact the maker is are separating this weapon from your run of the mill version, either because it is imbued with magic or is of exceptional quality.

I have named each long bow, I have made for no other reason, than I enjoyed it. Pathfinder is my current bow, but I am working on another....I will wait till it's finished and see how it turns out first.

How about naming your swords Ranger Elwindil, tooth and claw?
In the darkest part of Sherwoods glade, in the thickest part of the wood, there are those who say, can still be seen, the ghost of Robin Hood.
Elwindil

Post by Elwindil »

I will have to get pictures of them, and perhaps that will give you folks some more inspiration than I have right now. The swords I have are both from MRL, one is their Ranger sword that they produced back when LOTR first came out, and the other is from the wheel of time collection they had, it's the Shienaran long sword. one of the first swords I ever bought, actually.
Taurinor
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Taurinor »

Elwindil wrote:I will have to get pictures of them, and perhaps that will give you folks some more inspiration than I have right now.
I'm personally of the "You don't name your weapon; if/when it has/receives a name and wants you to know, you'll know" school of thought on the matter. A bit hokey, I know, but I'd hate to misname a blade. Only one of my blades has a name, and it's the name it came to me with - it was a gift from another forum member. I suspect my horn has a name, but it hasn't deigned to let me know what it is (I'm still pretty awful at sounding it, so I don't blame it!). Could be you aren't inspired because you're thinking about it too hard.
- Ned Houndswood, Breelander
Richmond Fantasy-Inspired Hiking and Camping (on WordPress and Facebook)
Elwindil

Post by Elwindil »

that could be Taurinor, but I might also just not have much imagination currently. it's been quite the long past couple of years. *laughs*

edit: pictures are going to have to wait, it's raining outside and I got dragged through a puddle earlier this morning taking one of the dogs out.
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

I follow the convention that things have to kind-of earn their names, either from deeds done or deeds expected. Anduril was so named western-flame when re-forged because that was its purpose: to be the light for the men of the west, even if it were leading them to their ruin.

I also like and appreciate Taurinor's opinion that naming things before they've earned a name is tricky business. Unfortunately, one doesn't always have the option of wearing a piece for a few years, and then sending it back to the maker for runes. I could have, of course, but why bother? *chuckle*

I took a route somewhere in the middle. Ardeloth, 'fearless', my arming sword, is so named NOT because I consider myself fearless, or expect that the blade will be. Instead, the name is an expectation, or call to action...maybe almost a taunt. With that permanently set into the fuller on either side, the blade is telling the wielder "You had darned well better be..."

And why? Because anyone engaging a longsword with a blade as short as mine had better be fearless, or they'll wind up dead. The fight is not for the faint of heart. Fillipo Vadi perhaps puts it best: "Brandish manfully the sword, for it is a cross and a royal weapon, and with it match a gallant heart." In short, be fearless in the fight.

Food for thought. If you can't think of a grand name that will instill fear in your enemies, perhaps think of a quality you'd like to see in yourself and slap in on there as a reminder.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Taurinor
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Taurinor »

Greg wrote:If you can't think of a grand name that will instill fear in your enemies, perhaps think of a quality you'd like to see in yourself and slap in on there as a reminder.
I definitely agree with that! It's hard for us to do great deeds with any of the weapons we carry (which is a comment on the way of the world, not an insult to the courage of any forum members!), so I think giving a blade a name intended to inspire the wielder rather than frighten foes is (as you put it) a good middle ground. I think the inscription on Elleth's Elenglin also falls into that category, and Star-glint is a far cry from Foe Hammer or Orc Cleaver.

In a way that I can't seem to articulate, the names Ardeloth and Elenglin make the blades that bear them feel more "in universe" to me, rather than less, which is a problem I've had with named blades in other fantasy series and the like. The names and/or inscriptions take absolutely gorgeous weapons that would fit Middle-earth quite well and make them indisputably of Middle-earth, at least in my mind.
- Ned Houndswood, Breelander
Richmond Fantasy-Inspired Hiking and Camping (on WordPress and Facebook)
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Taurinor wrote:The names and/or inscriptions take absolutely gorgeous weapons that would fit Middle-earth quite well and make them indisputably of Middle-earth, at least in my mind.
One could say, culturally relevant? :mrgreen:
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.