The Name of What We Do

For all of the Talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Re: The Name of What We Do

Post by Mirimaran »

I still call it Rangering, and for me it has a deeper meaning, but to each his own.

Ken
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
robinhoodsghost
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by robinhoodsghost »

A rose by any other name would smell just as sweet.... we do what we do for many reasons. Some are fans here of Tolkien's work, particularly rangers in general. Some of us are heavy into bush craft, others in blacksmithing and leather work. Some may be fans of fantasy literature, like the Rangers Apprentice series, Some come from a DND background, where they played a ranger in a pnp game. What ever the reasons, there is a common ground here, where friendships and fellowships can be made.....and that is what is best in life.

So just call us Middle Earth Ranger Forum Members!
In the darkest part of Sherwoods glade, in the thickest part of the wood, there are those who say, can still be seen, the ghost of Robin Hood.
kleenur
Wanderer

Post by kleenur »

I have no problem with the name. For me, if somebody feels that calling ourselves Middle Earth Reenactors is too nerdy, than this really isn't the place for them. That said, I could see calling it practical literary research, or some such pompous sounding nomenclature. In reality it seems we are trying to research the real(ish) world applications of Tolkien's work specifically as it pertains to medieval and primitive bush-craft. I think the essential challenge with naming it in any way historic or archaeological is that in the Dark Ages, people didn't camp out, or do much rambling around the woods for long periods of time. Certainly there were foresters, but they went home at the end of the day. If soldiers were "sleeping rough" as part of a campaign there were a lot of them, and they had sophisticated supply trains to keep them fed. No one really would have gone out alone (or even as a small group) to explore the wild places of the time.
"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost."

-J.R.R Tolkien