New to the Path

For all of the Talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Pixelpen

New to the Path

Post by Pixelpen »

(Note: I haven't a clue if this is the right place for an introduction, so I figured this would be the least intrusive place to try...)

My name is Devin. I don't have a persona- not yet, at least- so for now, I suppose my given name will have to do.

In the 4th grade, our PE class at school did a two week coverage of archery. I had never before even considered picking up a bow- already obsessed with medieval fantasy at that age, my mind was transfixed on the longsword, firmly, as so many young boys are who dream of being heroic knights.

Simplistic fiberglass youth D-bow aside, I was, in all honesty, shocked at how comfortable I felt with it. I lifted it in my hand, listened carefully to the teacher's instructions, drew to my cheek, allowed my eyes to sight down the arrow shaft, and...

...missed. Terribly. But that was only the first shot of many. By the end of week two, my chest burned, my arms ached, my fingers were blistered, but I was never so excited as the moment I got to place the photo of myself alongside my first bullseye on the refrigerator at home.

That first shot, miss or not, was my first step on a very long and, admittedly slow, journey to now. Between three children, a late-night job, and a rather tight budget over the last few , I haven't fired a bow in some time. But my love of history and the martial arts have led me to experiments in other "rangerly" pursuits, including home-based study of German longsword, knife-combat and throwing, and use of the tomahawk.

My eldest son, now seven years old, has also started studying quarterstaff, and my second son, whom is only four, seems dead-set on the longsword. My daughter, age three, would rather play princess, but I'm okay with that, because she's MY princess.

In summary, my experience, my knowledge of the topic, is scant at best. But my interest, my passion, is immense. Of any, likely all, of so-called "archetypes" seen in medieval interest, it's the Ranger which seems the most applicable to life, today. One may be hard-pressed to leave home and find themselves in a duel, or battlefield of armored opponents. But to just go out into the woods, explore, even hunt... that's life. That's firm, and true. That speaks to me.

Plus, rangers are just cool. Because, I mean, c'mon.
"Give me strength, not to be better than my enemies, but to defeat my greatest enemy, the doubts within myself. Give me strength for a straight back and clear eyes, so when life fades as the setting sun, my spirit may come to you without shame."
Harper
Haeropada

Re: New to the Path

Post by Harper »

Welcome, Ranger!
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Welcome to the Forum !
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Welcome :P
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
Taylor Steiner
Haeropada

Post by Taylor Steiner »

Yes welcome!
Frodo lives!
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Glad to have you! Many of us share similar childhood experiences; you're in good company.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

Welcome! I think you've found the right place.
Plus, rangers are just cool. Because, I mean, c'mon.
troof. :mrgreen:
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Ghostsoldier
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Ghostsoldier »

Welcome to the woods! :)

Rob
"Nothing's forgotten."
Bumr Blackbrand
Wayfarer

Post by Bumr Blackbrand »

Welcome welcome!
Willrett
Thangailhir

Post by Willrett »

Welcome to the group.
"Knowledge is a weapon. I intend to be formidably armed." Richard, the Seeker (Sword of Truth)"
Ruinar Hrafnakveðja
Dúnadan

Post by Ruinar Hrafnakveðja »

Mae govannen brother Ranger! You are in good company here. May your paths be green and the breeze be at thy back!
I wish only for green trees, cool wine, a strong bow, and a swift arrow