3rd Age Dunedain Ranger - Complete Functional Kit Breakdown

For all of the Talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Re: 3rd Age Dunedain Ranger - Complete Functional Kit Breakdown

Post by Greg »

Haradir wrote:Sad to say it seems like quite a few peoples pictures are disappearing. I was trying to look at your bow construction thread too and that was all gone.
Well, we're about to get a second edition of that, so I'll find a better place to host this time around.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Cimrandir
Haeropada

Post by Cimrandir »

Very exciting!
Persona : Cimrandir - late 3rd Age Dunedain
Greg

Post by Greg »

Greg wrote:I'm adopting 'Taurandir' as a given surname. It's a common habit in Midle-earth, it seems...Beleg Strongbow, Turin Turambar, Gandalf Greyhame, etc. I'm having a darned difficult time settling on a first name I can stomach. Tirathon is a good approximation of the meaning of 'Gregory', so that fits well mechanically, but it's a bit of a mouthful. If I'm gonna be stuck saying it, I'd better like it, you know?
I know the photos at the top of this are broken...still working on fixing that, trying to remedy it today...but I have an update in regards to naming conventions.

Tirathon, being a mouthful, still irks me. Tirathon, being the best approximation for my real-world given name, still is the best fit that I have.

SO.

I've been thinking.

Aragorn never revealed his true name to the majority of the folk he encountered. "'Strider' I am to one fat man who lives within a day's march of foes that would freeze his heart, or lay his little town in ruin, if he were not guarded ceaselessly." He was given a name as a frequent flyer at the Pony who wouldn't provide them with anything else to go on. Similarly in other historical fiction, characters with a limited understanding of a protagonist have been known to give nicknames or mispronounce names due to cultural differences.

Take The 13th Warrior, for example. In the film, Banderas' character, Ahmed Ibn Fahdlan, is attempting to introduce himself to someone who doesn't speak the same language. In his culture, names are largely used to tell who your father is, and who his father is, ad infinitum. He says "My name is Ahmed Ibn Fahdlan, Ibn another guy, Ibn still someone else, Ibn again..." (I'm paraphrasing, can you tell?). The person he is addressing only hears him saying "Ibn" over and over, and latches onto that, calling him "Eabin" for the remainder of their time together.

Fast-forward to Middle-earth (or rewind, maybe?). Now, I don't have a degree in linguistics, but my impression of Bree is that multi-linguals and geniuses don't make up the bulk of the population. Definitely not a slew of Elvish-speaking high-educated types.

SO.

If one were to come in and give the innkeeper a name to go off of (not Tirathon, since that'd be a bit personal and might need to remain unknown) like a benign surname such as Taurandir (which can't really be traced to anything or anyone), it'd be a mouthful and a half for old Barliman to wrap his tongue around. This line of thinking (and what was done with Strider) suggests to me that local accents and lack of knowledge of elvish could result in a simplified, truncated, and somewhat mispronounced form of the word, and a 'nickname' as a result.

Taurandir, pronounced (I believe) TAO-ran-DEER, could be shortened to Tauran, and then simplified from the formal pronunciation to a more phonetically friendly TOW-rin or TOW-run. This gives my persona an extra authentic bent, in that he could be counted among the number of "mysterious wanderers" around Bree who frequent the inn enough to have been given a name for familiarity, and would lends me more to fit into the description we have that Rangers would be willing to share a "rare tale" when I'm of a mind to. Familiarity is an important and oft-overlooked part of that passage, I think. Secret doesn't necessarily mean unknown, and we're given that permission right from the professor's own hand here.

Tauran. Much more palatable.
Udwin
Vendor

Post by Udwin »

So Tirathon Taurandir is known to the Breefolk as Tauran the Ranger? I dig it! Hell, they'd probably spell it Towrin anyhow. Especially spelled like that, it really does sound like Sindarin run through a Celtic sieve, as it Should be!
Personae: Aistan son of Ansteig, common Beorning of Wilderland; Tungo Brandybuck, Eastfarthing Bounder, 3018 TA; a native Man of the Greyflood, c.850 SA
Greg

Post by Greg »

Well it works on paper, and it's WAY easier for me in 1st person use...so yes!
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

I like it! :mrgreen:
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Taylor Steiner
Haeropada

Post by Taylor Steiner »

Awesome!
Frodo lives!
Cimrandir
Haeropada

Post by Cimrandir »

Rather logical! I like it!

Makes me want to come up with a incognito name myself although I kinda doubt Cimrandir has been around the local taverns enough to earn that sort of notoriety yet.
Persona : Cimrandir - late 3rd Age Dunedain
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Great idea :P
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
mg2Arnor
Wanderer

Post by mg2Arnor »

This thread is incredibly detailed. I certainly hope the pictures can get restored at some point. Greg, I love that you went deep into the naming conventions of the time and found a usable byname to spread around. That's definitely the kind of world building I enjoy.
Calenthir - Dunedain Ranger of the late 3rd Age
Greg

Post by Greg »

I keep forgetting!

I'll make a point of it this weekend...I'm working on kit updates over the holiday, and I know the pics from this thread were posted on the MERS facebook page, so I definitely still have them.

Glad you've enjoyed it...it was a thrill to finally put this together, even though no kit can ever really be considered 'done'.
Greg

Post by Greg »

Alright, was able to find the first two photos...I may just have to re-take the unpacked kit photos, but this is a good start. All hosted here on MERF now, so they shouldn't come up missing again.
mg2Arnor
Wanderer

Post by mg2Arnor »

Greg wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 11:19 am Alright, was able to find the first two photos...I may just have to re-take the unpacked kit photos, but this is a good start. All hosted here on MERF now, so they shouldn't come up missing again.
Beautiful! Thanks so much for these.
mg2Arnor
Wanderer

Post by mg2Arnor »

Just as an after thought: Have you ever considered making a video of how you put-on, attach, and place everything for an outing?
Greg

Post by Greg »

Actually, that has crossed my mind...but I don't want to actually DO it until I have a few improvements finished up.