3rd Age Dunedain Ranger - Complete Functional Kit Breakdown

For all of the Talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

3rd Age Dunedain Ranger - Complete Functional Kit Breakdown

Post by Greg »

It has been ten and a half years since I joined this wonderful community. It filled a much-needed void in my life at the time, and has served me well ever since to develop new skills and pursue new adventures. Somewhere in all of that, equally due to procrastination, disorganization, and my own stupid picky perfectionism, I have never assembled a complete kit write-up. Seeing as how the items I’ve blamed for this eternal procrastination are now complete or in my possession, it’s time!

This is not going to be a “how I use my kit”. This is a complete photographic and written collection to describe 1) What I carry, 2) Where/How it is carried, and 3) Where in history and/or in Tolkien the inspiration for that particular piece comes from.
If there are questions about how this all works in function (ie. “Why a ground cloth and not a shelter tarp?”) and other things of this nature, this is a thread! Ask away! First and foremost, the post is here to encourage discussion rather than to answer all questions...an impossibility I will never attempt on my own.

I also do not consider this to be the end-all list, and not everything here will work for everyone. That being said, this is as Book-accurate as I can manage, and it has been time tested for years and through weeks of overnighters and nearly 100 miles of terrain.

The Format:
Item Description – Historical or Cultural Reference (if any) – Abbrev. Published Work: Associated M.e. Cultures or Persons *Direct Forum Member Contribution

Not all items will contain all of these parts: some may exist only in historical sources, or only in Tolkien. Some, like sewing needles, exist simply because they must, whether there are references or not. I will not be listing the makers of every item I did not construct myself, but I will reference anything made by actual forum members who obviously have a vested interest in what we do here. Generally, all items not listed as made by forum members were designed and constructed by myself, with a few exceptions in the nature of buckles and tins, etc.

Here we go!

Soft Kit/Clothing
118375124_3999404160074151_2023206297695192534_n.jpg
118375124_3999404160074151_2023206297695192534_n.jpg (51.52 KiB) Viewed 8524 times
1. Green Wool Broadcloth Winter Overtunic – Nockert Type 1, Two Gores
2. Green Linen Tunic – Nockert Type 1, Two Gores
3. Walnut Dyed Linen Trousers – Thorsberg Pattern *Handmade by Udwin
4. Brown Wool Broadcloth Surcote with Walnut Dyed Linen Edging – RotK: Minas Tirith: Citadel Guards
5. Brown Deerhide Jerkin (Walnut Dyed Braintan) with Linen Lining – RotK: Armoury of Rohan *Deer hide tanned by Udwin
6. Grey Wool Melton Hood – Bocksten Man Find – RotK: Dunedain/The Grey Company
7. Grey Wool Melton Cloak – Bocksten Man Find – RotK: Dunedain/The Grey Company
8. Brown Leather Boots – Lowers based off the Worcester pilgrim boot – FotR: Strider

Hard Kit/Equipment
118154612_3999409593406941_2555958201291277001_n.jpg
118154612_3999409593406941_2555958201291277001_n.jpg (59 KiB) Viewed 8524 times
1. Yew [short] Longbow, 57#@28" – Western European – Men, as per reference in TTT: Orcs
2. Arming Sword/Byknife – Mildly Fantasized Western European/FotR: Barrow Blades *Blades Handmade by Odigan/Meuleurgy
3: Quiver – Numenorean Art Motifs/TTT: Ithilien Rangers *Buckles designed by Elleth
4. Tinder Box – Mildly Fantasized from 18th Cen. Example – TH: Dwarves
5. Bedroll – Oilcloth Groundsheet (not a shelter tarp)/Wool Blanket FOR WINTER ONLY
6. Waterskin – Soft Spanish Wineskin Construction
7. Snapsack – Mildly Fantasized from 18th Cen. Example *Handsewn by Elleth
8. Need-Wallet – FoG: Voronwe(1A Elves)/DoGF: Isildur(2A Numenorean Men)
9. Belt/Pouch – Generic/Mildly Fantasized Mini Linen Market Wallet(‘Lasdhir’) *Pouch Handsewn by Elleth
10. Large Camp Seax – Fantasized Early Western European Large Camp Knife *Handmade by Odigan/Meuleurgy

Snapsack Unpacked
1. Dry Goods ‘Sock’ – Flour for Dumplings
2. Dry Goods ‘Sock’ – Milled Oats
3. Seasoning Tin – Modified 18th Cen. Patch Canister – TTT: Ithilien: Sage, Thyme, Bay Leaves
4. Tobacco Tin – 18th Cen. Generic Tin – FotR: Pipe-Weed
5. Iron Cookpot – Mildly Fantasized Western European/Medieval
6. Smoking Pipe – FotR: The Prancing Pony: Strider. *Hand Carved by Ursus
7. Copper Rationing Cup – 18th Cen. Gill Cup – FotR: Shire Copperware
8. Hemp Rope – FotR: Samwise & Rope
9. Oilcloth and Linen Tool Roll, Left to Right:
Iron Scissors
Needles
Thread on a Long Wooden Bobbin
Silver Rayed Star – RotK: Dunedain Rangers/The Grey Company
Beeswax Candle
Sewing Awl
Jasper Sharpening Stone (Fine)
Sharpening Stone (Medium)
Salt Container – 18th Cen. Oiler – TTT: Salt in the Shire
Iron Coal Tongs
Wooden Spoon
10. Wool Knit Fingerless Gloves

Tinder Box Unpacked
1. Charred Cloth, Punk Wood, Fungus
2. Tin Tinder Box – Mildly Fantasized 18th Cen. Box – TH: Dwarves
3. Bronze+Steel Striker – Birka Inspired *Handmade by Odigan/Meuleurgy
4. Sharp Flint
5. Tinder Damper – Mildly Fantasized 18th Cen. Damper
6. Tinder – Wild Harvested Songbird Nest/Tow

Belt Pouch Unpacked
1. Pouch - Mildly Fantasized Mini Linen Market Wallet(‘Lasdhir’) *Handsewn by Elleth
2. Fatwood in Linen Pouch – Firestarting *Handsewn by Elleth
3. Silver Pennies in Leather Pouch *Handsewn by Elleth
4. Lanolin-Soaked Sheep’s Wool in Waxed Linen Pouch – Blade Care *Handsewn by Elleth

Need-Wallet Contents (Not Pictured)
Waybread
Medicinal Cordial in a Glass Phial
Regional Map on Parchment

Dry Goods Not Shown
Salt Pork
Onions/Shallots
Small Yellow Potatoes
Fruit Leather
Apples
Dry/Aged Cheese
Pork-Based Pocket Soup
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Harper
Haeropada

Re: 3rd Age Dunedain Ranger - Complete Functional Kit Breakdown

Post by Harper »

Impressive, Greg, truly.

Can you give a little more information on the length of your shortbow, observations on how it feels to shoot and where you got it?

Also, what do you use as a medicinal cordial?

If suggestions are welcome:

Leather gauntlets/gloves?

A straight razor. For shaving but also for First Aid.

A small silverd mirror. Can also be used for First Aid and signalling.
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Amazing write-up Greg, you sure know how to distract me from college assignments :mrgreen:
Harper wrote: A small silverd mirror. Can also be used for First Aid and signalling.
How about polishing the upward side to the tinder box damper to a mirror finish?
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
Harper
Haeropada

Post by Harper »

Iodo wrote:Amazing write-up Greg, you sure know how to distract me from college assignments :mrgreen:
Harper wrote: A small silverd mirror. Can also be used for First Aid and signalling.
How about polishing the upward side to the tinder box damper to a mirror finish?

Great idea if it can be polished enough and reflect without distortion.
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

I think it would work, I have a signal mirror that's nothing more than a thin piece of stainless sheet that I polished on buffing wheel, it's not completely flat but for a signal mirror, it works fine
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Greg

Post by Greg »

Suggestions are welcome, but if I'm trekking in Middle-earth, I'm not expecting to come across many airplanes to signal to. The tinder box is quite reflective and could be made more so, but that's not on my personal priority list.

I've shaved successfully with my byknife.

As for Gauntlets/Gloves...I just can't. The added bulk of various little things like this quickly adds up, and I have ALWAYS preferred the finger dexterity of uncovered hands. There are hundreds of things I could have in my kit, but have summarily chosen to leave out, and gloves repeatedly keep getting left off.
Harper
Haeropada

Post by Harper »

Greg wrote:Suggestions are welcome, but if I'm trekking in Middle-earth, I'm not expecting to come across many airplanes to signal to. The tinder box is quite reflective and could be made more so, but that's not on my personal priority list.

I've shaved successfully with my byknife.

As for Gauntlets/Gloves...I just can't. The added bulk of various little things like this quickly adds up, and I have ALWAYS preferred the finger dexterity of uncovered hands. There are hundreds of things I could have in my kit, but have summarily chosen to leave out, and gloves repeatedly keep getting left off.

Signalling fellow rangers or other forces, not airplanes.
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Greg wrote: As for Gauntlets/Gloves...I just can't. The added bulk of various little things like this quickly adds up, and I have ALWAYS preferred the finger dexterity of uncovered hands. There are hundreds of things I could have in my kit, but have summarily chosen to leave out, and gloves repeatedly keep getting left off.
Surely you must need something to cover your hands if your out in the snow?
Greg

Post by Greg »

Harper wrote: Signalling fellow rangers or other forces, not airplanes.
Eh, that just feels too late period to me. Regardless of whenever it may have been done in history, that feels way too specific and specialized a tool to be found wandering in the woods for years beyond reckoning. I don't liken Rangers as Special Forces-types, personally.

As for the gloves, I've spent time in the snow, and my wool gloves do very well. My priority really is always to stay dry as a whole, so shoving my hands in the snow is avoided.

My cordial follows these parameters:
http://middleearthrangers.org/forum/vie ... it=Cordial

I made the bow myself from scratch.
http://middleearthrangers.org/forum/vie ... =28&t=3099

EDIT:
We DO have some evidence of signaling between both Rangers and elves, in the form of stones on bridges, runes left at weathertop, and to a lesser extent, the boot prints and wood pile also at Weathertop. This feels, genuinely to me, like it's about as high-tech as they got with signaling, save maybe fire or smoke.
Ursus
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Ursus »

I'm not sure how long that I've been with the forum officially, maybe 6 or 7 years? Anyhow, it was a random internet search to see if any other oddballs like me existed and sought Middle-earth with the same passion and realism that brought up a picture of a guy in a cloak, jeans, and t-shirt carrying a bedroll and a bow. Remembering back now that was you in what I'm sure was your first step on the trackless path of this hobby. You've certainly come a long way brother ranger! I have no random questions as I've excitedly followed each update and project of your kit over the years and it is inspiring to see it all finally come together. Congratulations and well done!
"Lonely men are we, Rangers of the wild, hunters – but hunters ever of the servants of the Enemy."

“My cuts, short or long, don’t go wrong.”
Greg

Post by Greg »

Yes, Brett, that was definitely me. Not my best moment, but it was an important one that I remember fondly!

Thanks...you've been a great help.
Taurinor
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Taurinor »

It’s lovely to see everything together (not that the individual pieces aren’t wonderful by themselves)! Amazing gear and attention to detail, as always.

Do you have any plans for a impression/“persona” write-up to go with it?
- Ned Houndswood, Breelander
Richmond Fantasy-Inspired Hiking and Camping (on WordPress and Facebook)
Greg

Post by Greg »

I'm adopting 'Taurandir' as a given surname. It's a common habit in Midle-earth, it seems...Beleg Strongbow, Turin Turambar, Gandalf Greyhame, etc. I'm having a darned difficult time settling on a first name I can stomach. Tirathon is a good approximation of the meaning of 'Gregory', so that fits well mechanically, but it's a bit of a mouthful. If I'm gonna be stuck saying it, I'd better like it, you know?

As for the actual backstory, I at one time had one that was rather complex, but it's steadily been simplifying over the past year or two to becoming a homesteading Dunedain with a family in a settlement in the Angle. Wandering cannot be a constant thing...there has to be a home to come to. My hobby farm at home is starting to approximate what I'd have in M.e., so it's becoming a functional pursuit, rather than just an "on paper kit list".
Udwin
Vendor

Post by Udwin »

It's so satisfying to see everything finally come together. Well worth the wait! (And quite the forum cooperative effort, I might say!)
You've inspired me to take some updated kit layouts this summer now that I have all of my in-progress projects checked off.
(Tiny nitpick - my braintan contribution should go with #5 instead of 4 in first post)
Personae: Aistan son of Ansteig, common Beorning of Wilderland; Tungo Brandybuck, Eastfarthing Bounder, 3018 TA; a native Man of the Greyflood, c.850 SA
Taurinor
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Taurinor »

Greg wrote:I'm adopting 'Taurandir' as a given surname. It's a common habit in Midle-earth, it seems...Beleg Strongbow, Turin Turambar, Gandalf Greyhame, etc. I'm having a darned difficult time settling on a first name I can stomach. Tirathon is a good approximation of the meaning of 'Gregory', so that fits well mechanically, but it's a bit of a mouthful. If I'm gonna be stuck saying it, I'd better like it, you know?
Names are always stressful! Gear can be swapped out if it doesn’t fit, and this is just a hobby, so I suppose names can be as well, but it doesn’t feel like it. Something with two syllables might hit the ear a bit better, rhythmically speaking.
Greg wrote:As for the actual backstory, I at one time had one that was rather complex, but it's steadily been simplifying over the past year or two to becoming a homesteading Dunedain with a family in a settlement in the Angle. Wandering cannot be a constant thing...there has to be a home to come to. My hobby farm at home is starting to approximate what I'd have in M.e., so it's becoming a functional pursuit, rather than just an "on paper kit list".
As I’ve gotten older, I’ve come to find simple backstories more satisfying. I don’t object to a classic hero’s journey call to action moment if it fits the setting, but much more than that begins to feel forced to me.

Good on you for getting into the homesteading aspect of it! My plan is to eventually make Ned a bodger (per Elleth’s excellent suggestion), but I need to make a spring pole lathe and a shaving horse first!
- Ned Houndswood, Breelander
Richmond Fantasy-Inspired Hiking and Camping (on WordPress and Facebook)